soap and water down the hole
0 (0%)
other
2 (15.4%)
one time at band camp I had an encounter with yellow jackets
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Beetle

I just found nest number 8.    In the past, I usually find 1-2 a year.      This seems weird to me.  Anyone else seeing them? 

Dougfish

Ground bees?
They are the worst.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

No, but I no longer mow the lawn  d:b

H8T those bastards!

Saw a bunch of honey bees on the river yesterday

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Got into a big nest last week. I hate those little bastards.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Stone-Man

Damn interesting -- I have not seen more than 2-3 this year in E. Tenn

troutrus

Have not had any nests since hearing of this method, but am told that powder is more effective than liquids/aerosols at reaching the ground nest.

https://www.amazon.com/Insecticide-Carpenter-Silverfish-Scorpions-Millipedes/dp/B004SFV7E6/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=yellowjackets+dust&qid=1624743615&s=books&sr=1-11

Dougfish

Sevin or Eight Dust has been my go to for 40 years. A small dixie cup full dumped on the entrance at dusk. Dead colony in the am.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Country boy way..... Wait til dark. Pour half cup of gasoline down hole, wait 30 seconds.....light.

Dougfish

Sodom and Gomorrah circle in the lawn.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

streamereater_101691

Sevin dust works good. They've had multiple nests right in front of my out building over the years. Let's just say I watch my step out there now.
Now when it comes to whasp, the plastic shutters house those bastards perfectly. Pro tip:shoot shutters with water before removing. I fell off a ladder last year getting pummeled by a swarm.

Trout Maharishi

Homemade napalm, just crumble a few pieces of styrofoam into a bucket with some diesel fuel. Then about dark send Ben (I know at this point he's a lot faster than you) out there to pour some in and around the hole. Then wait a minute and set it on fire. Homemade traps made out of 2L soda botles work to help reduce the numbers. I hate those darn things. I must have been stung 25-30 times last year.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Not a trendy response I know, but it takes a very specific location for me to destroy a yellowjacket nest, or any other stinging critter.   If mowing, I get stung and mow around it the next time.  Believe it or not, these nasty sons-a-bitches do have a role to play and jobs to do.

https://www.pestcontrolplus.biz/yellow-jackets/yellow-jackets-beneficial-insects/#:~:text=Are%20Yellow%20Jackets%20Beneficial%20Insects%3F%201%20Few%20facts,feed%20on%20the%20soft-bodied%20insects.%20More%20items...%20

Obviously if you, or family, are allergic then having a nest close means do your thing.  I've never had a reaction to any sting.  And I made sure my son when he was 3 or 4 would not.  I deliberately made sure he got stung on our back deck when we lived in town, close to medical relief.  The wife almost called social services on me.  It is damned important to know if a child will react to stings before taking them into the wild far from help.  I have yet to persuade my daughter in law to let my grandson endure a few test stings.   

Speaking of igniting petroleum products in the nest holes, this is how the locals used to get rid of ground hogs.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: itieuglyflies on June 26, 2021, 19:40:21 PMCountry boy way..... Wait til dark. Pour half cup of gasoline down hole, wait 30 seconds.....light.
That actually doesn't work very well. If you just pour the gas in there and don't light it, it will kill them stone dead. If you light it, it's more entertaining, but it usually doesn't kill them. The fumes are what gets them.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 27, 2021, 08:26:43 AMNot a trendy response I know, but it takes a very specific location for me to destroy a yellowjacket nest, or any other stinging critter.   If mowing, I get stung and mow around it the next time.  Believe it or not, these nasty sons-a-bitches do have a role to play and jobs to do.

https://www.pestcontrolplus.biz/yellow-jackets/yellow-jackets-beneficial-insects/#:~:text=Are%20Yellow%20Jackets%20Beneficial%20Insects%3F%201%20Few%20facts,feed%20on%20the%20soft-bodied%20insects.%20More%20items...%20

Obviously if you, or family, are allergic then having a nest close means do your thing.  I've never had a reaction to any sting.  And I made sure my son when he was 3 or 4 would not.  I deliberately made sure he got stung on our back deck when we lived in town, close to medical relief.  The wife almost called social services on me.  It is damned important to know if a child will react to stings before taking them into the wild far from help.  I have yet to persuade my daughter in law to let my grandson endure a few test stings.   

Speaking of igniting petroleum products in the nest holes, this is how the locals used to get rid of ground hogs.   

I have that attitude with most living things. Except yallerjackets. I hate them with a passion, and kill every one I see stone dead.