As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Little help...

Started by flatlander, October 26, 2009, 09:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

If you have a few moments...

Concerned anglers,

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) is currently planning to rework the laws governing permit (Trachinotus falcatus).  Many of you might be unaware that permit are still fished commercially in the state of Florida.  While the limit for mature permit (over 20") is only two per day, the is NO harvest limits for fish under 20".  Equally alarming, permit are still pursued with spearfishing tackle in federal water (just offshore).  Since there are no federal laws concerning the harvest of permit, it is literally open season out there. 

This is a great chance to protect the future of this species forever.  The Key West and Lower Keys Fishing Guides Association supports the following law changes.  We want the FWC to list permit as a gamefish, thus ending all commercial sale of the species.  We also support mandating the permit fishery as catch and release only, with some provision (a stamp or tag system) for the harvest of one fish per day for those pursuing world records.   Lastly, we want to see state regulations extended into federal waters to ensure the success of these law changes.

A few minutes or your time could help protect these fish.  Any comment in support of these law changes will go a long way.  Seriously, public comment plays a very large role in the decision making/law making process.  Please, cut&paste and email the comment below to marine@myfwc.com  or for those preferring more old fashioned methods, download/print and mail/fax the attachment to:

Division of Marine Fisheries Management
2590 Executive Ctr Circle E  #201
Tallahassee, FL  32301
fax:  850 487-4847

Thank you very much for your time and please forward this to anyone you feel might be concerned,

Capt John O'Hearn
President
Key West & Lower Keys Fishing Guides Assc
jpohearn@hotmail.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cut and paste, write your name, enter "permit law changes" in the subject box.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FWC Commissioners,

In light of the proposed law changes for Permit (Trachinotus falcatus), I would like to voice my opinion.  I support listing Permit as a gamefish, thus ending all commercial sale of the species.

I support the creation of a catch and release fishery for the species, with some provision (stamp or tag) for possessing one a day. 

Lastly, I support the extension of State regulations into federal water to insure complete protection of the species.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

dnakamoto

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rhody

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

flynhokies

"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

flatlander

Trout Maharishi

What's McDonalds going to use for fish sandwiches if I do this ;D >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 28, 2009, 10:27:01 AM

LOL...just send the email.   Save the Kermits ;D

walt

good job flatsides   ;D 0--0

i'm real edgy right now.... the albies are bustin up lookout and i still have to wait another week to get down there... argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

wally

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

n2deep

flatlander

Quote from: walt on October 30, 2009, 10:31:49 AM
good job flatsides   ;D 0--0

i'm real edgy right now.... the albies are bustin up lookout and i still have to wait another week to get down there... argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

wally

I hear you Walt...I can't stand looking at Brian's site any more o-o

troutrus

Not sure why gamefish status is necessary.

From the perspective of the sport fishing guides it seems simple. They want the entire fishery for themselves.  :o
Considering that there is currently no scientific data to reflect a stock status that is in danger, why is it necessary to exclude other user groups from the fishery?
Commercial harvest is <30% of the total and their take has been stable. Also, there are some recreational anglers who actually enjoy eating some of the fish they catch.

flatlander

Quote from: troutrus on November 02, 2009, 18:12:32 PM

From the perspective of the sport fishing guides it seems simple. They want the entire fishery for themselves.  :o
Considering that there is currently no scientific data to reflect a stock status that is in danger, why is it necessary to exclude other user groups from the fishery?
Commercial harvest is <30% of the total and their take has been stable. Also, there are some recreational anglers who actually enjoy eating some of the fish they catch.

LOL...Is the union working some angle (scam) on permit fishing?

cmiller51h

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 28, 2009, 10:27:01 AM

Creek Chubs!!! ;D
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

troutrus

Quote from: Flatlander on November 03, 2009, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: troutrus on November 02, 2009, 18:12:32 PM

LOL...Is the union working some angle (scam) on permit fishing?
Say what? You lost me with the union comment, but your failure to offer any substantive input would suggest a lack of knowledge on the Permit issue.