News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited cicada hatch

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 02, 2020, 12:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

http://magicicada.org/magicicada/brood_09/

Periodical cicada Brood IX (9) will emerge in the spring of 2020 in North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. The last time this brood emerged was in 2003.

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/brood-ix-9-will-emerge-in-2020-in-north-carolina-virginia-and-west-virginia/

Virginia municipalities: Blacksburg, Bland, Callands, Christiansburg, Covington, Dry Pond, Ferrum, Martinsville, Roanoke, Salem, Vinton, and more.

Virginia counties: Allegheny, Bland, Franklin, Henry, Montgomery, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Roanoke.

North Carolina municipalities: Chestnut Hill, Ennice, Francisco, Hays, Kernersville, McGrady, Millers Creek, Mt Airy, North
Wilkesboro, Purlear, Thurmond, Westfield, and more.

North Carolina counties: Ashe, Alleghany, Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, Wilkes.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Just found and am checking out Cicada Safari App for reporting sightings

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cicada-safari/id1446471492

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment. no
me -There's a season?

driver

That 30 in North of Durham is about where I'm at, might explain the 2 I have seen.

Dougfish

I thought you were one of the reporters.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Nope I just got the app last night when you told me about it.

The thing I dislike about this app is there is no logging of dates on our end. You click o  a report and all you get is a picture, no data.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Forget the Cicada app!!!  This the app is for you dipsomaniacs; it is the only one a tippler will ever need.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ibeer-drink-from-your-phone/id475905823

F*ck an app!!!!!  And reminds me of a true story.

My wife and I were enjoying a free meal at The Inn on the Virginia Tech Campus.  It was my 30-year service celebration and the Virginia taxpayers were picking up the tab.  Seated randomly with others awarded for their service to the university, the topic of retirement arose.  A very personable female professor asked if I had plans for retirement.  I quickly revealed my plans to perhaps learn the Appalachian trees and wildflowers with my extra leisure, skills I should have mastered earlier in life.  The prof informed the table there were wonderful apps for the identification of local trees and wildflowers.  My wife busted a gut laughing.  Obvious questions followed, and I was provided a textbook opportunity to leap on the soapbox.  Expressing the virtues of bound field guides morphed into the evils of GPS, and technology in general, and how most students could no longer navigate a paper map and were in a complete fog when it came to cardinal directions  --- no need to even ask about ordinal points!  My insight on my quickly approaching retirement was confirmed.  Reading the eyes at the table, I knew they were ready for such a prick be put out to pasture.  The wife was affable; she'd heard this bullshit many times.

And again, f*ck an app!!!!

If the cicada hit Moomaw again, my bass boat is available – daily rental and valid Virginia boating license required, and no alcohol beverages allowed on the USS LeRoy --  ganja ok. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Thought the hatch was supposed to be in North Western North Carolina, not Durham County. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on May 12, 2020, 10:30:10 AMThought the hatch was supposed to be in North Western North Carolina, not Durham County. 

I selected that area of the map for Jason, there are some sightings in Wilksboro / Mt Airy too...
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Did a loop around Philpott Lake this AM. Not a cicada was seen or heard.
Out of 9 ramps, I found 5 open. The ramps were not busy. And lake levels look good.

On the north side:
Twin Ridges, a fine modern double ramp about a third of the way up the lake.
Jamison Mill, an older ramp further up the lake for shallow draft boats only. If the lake goes down, it could be rendered useless.
Ryan's Draft, a single ramp a little further up the lake near the intersection of the Smith and Runnet Bag arms.
I can be to any of these in an hour. But all of these roads are narrow, twisty and up and down.
A truck can put you into a ditch, quick-like.

On the south side:
Runnett Bag, a sleepy, single ramp at the end of a steep twisting road. Meh. A good place to have your vehicle fucked with?
Philpott Dam Marina, a modern double ramp with lots of parking.
These two are on opposite ends of the lake.
The only one of these 5 with a fee is the Marina, but they are not collecting it at this time.

The ramps that are in parks are all closed, as well as the parks themselves.
Goose Point and Bowen's Creek on the south shore. Horseshoe Point and Salthouse Branch on the north. All of that could change in the first or second phase of reopening.
Now the bugs need to cooperate.  :Dance 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 12, 2020, 09:28:04 AMIf the cicada hit Moomaw again, my bass boat is available – daily rental and valid Virginia boating license required, and no alcohol beverages allowed on the USS LeRoy --  ganja ok. 

Hey Muddy - If the Cicada show up I will take you up on that invitation. I'll even swap you a signed copy of my book which should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Dougfish

Now that's a boatload of ....! <-;:  :cheers  -+;
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

RiverbumCO

Talked to gray-bay-bay the other night. Soil temps need to be 62-65 for a hatch. NW NC and SWVA were around 55-59. I don't think the bugs are up yet.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

RiverbumCO

Walked out on my patio earlier and there was a periodic cicada. Just one. I saved it.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: RiverbumCO on May 18, 2020, 18:47:13 PMWalked out on my patio earlier and there was a periodic cicada. Just one. I saved it.

Taste like chicken!
me -There's a season?