Banks, Auto Industry, Health Care.... is fishing next?

Started by rjs123, January 03, 2010, 21:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

leakywaders

hopefully its more for research than anything else.  you know, compiling data and everything.  as if the government doesnt have a better use for its resources.

Stuart R.

I can see it now. Hey this is Stuart I would like to goo fishing today. Ok permission granted. :police: That is after securing permission at home ofcourse. So us guys will never get to fish again.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Stone-Man

Just more Govt. control of your life.  Total BS........... hell, they already know that you fish when you pay for the license

JT

Trout Maharishi

Ya'll better hope they don't implement drug and alcohol testing ;D Or use the information for physiological profiling.  >:D ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

trouthead

According to the noaa website some states are already doing this automatically when you get your license.  NC was included.

troutphisher

Forkin corksuckers, and fargin ice-holes

jis say'in......
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

mattnmtns

Taken out context is seems very big brotherish.  How ever it seems that this is the purpose "The requirement is part of a federal initiative to help ensure the long-term sustainability of America's fisheries."

Has anyone actually read NOAA's purpose of this, or just knee jerk reaction.  While I admit I often question the governments ability to manage its way out of a wet paper bag this seems like a good step forward in to taking account of recreational fishing data along with commercial.  I know when fishing offshore in SC we frequently voluntarily submit catch surveys and tag and release fish.  I just fail to see how long term sustainability and conservation is a bad thing.

overbrook

Quote from: mattnmtns on January 04, 2010, 18:42:07 PM
Taken out context is seems very big brotherish.  How ever it seems that this is the purpose "The requirement is part of a federal initiative to help ensure the long-term sustainability of America's fisheries."

Has anyone actually read NOAA's purpose of this, or just knee jerk reaction.  While I admit I often question the governments ability to manage its way out of a wet paper bag this seems like a good step forward in to taking account of recreational fishing data along with commercial.  I know when fishing offshore in SC we frequently voluntarily submit catch surveys and tag and release fish.  I just fail to see how long term sustainability and conservation is a bad thing.

that would be the key word! 

flatlander

I agree with Matt on this one.  It sounds pretty benign.  We already give up much of this info when we buy licenses.  Seems in line with the info the Feds ask for about migratoy bird hunting.  I just got a request in the mail to participate in an annual study of dove hunting.  This just sounds like they want a valid sample of folks to survey:

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/anglerForm.jsp

phg

Communism sounds benign in theory....

Read the Q&A section.  It sounds to me like we are one step away from a federal fishing license.  All the justifications that they give are just bureaucratic jibbrish.   

overbrook

Quote from: phg on January 04, 2010, 19:43:15 PM

Read the Q&A section.  It sounds to me like we are one step away from a federal fishing license.  All the justifications that they give are just bureaucratic jibbrish.

I'd love a federal license....then I could carry a rod on the truck....but I doubt thats the same thing you are really talking about.  ::)

flatlander

Really...well if they impose a Federal fishing license, then so be it.  Looks like NOAA already has my information since I have a NC saltwater license and am already exempt from registering. 

LOL...comparing a Federal fishing license to communism!?  That's even dumber than the ridiculous interpretation of Florida's kill tag program that you offered up on Disco's board.   >:D

overbrook

Quote from: Flatlander on January 04, 2010, 20:21:50 PM

Really...well if they impose a Federal fishing license, then so be it.  Looks like NOAA already has my information since I have a NC saltwater license and am already exempt from registering. 
LOL...comparing a Federal fishing license to communism!?  That's even dumber than the ridiculous interpretation of Florida's kill tag program that you offered up on Disco's board.   >:D

looks like you guys were right...and us dumbass's with the conspirecy theories were all wrong.....

Attention Saltwater Anglers

The new National Saltwater Angler Registry was launched by the federal government on Jan. 1, 2010, and will require virtually all saltwater recreational anglers in the United States (including Virginia) to call each year and register. The program is an effort to build a complete and accurate "phonebook" to better contact anglers to obtain catch information directly from them. Registration can be done through a toll-free number, 1-888-674-7411, or online at CountMyFish.noaa.gov. Anglers will be required to provide their name, date of birth, address, telephone number, and the regions where they intend to fish, although they will not be restricted to fishing only in those regions and will not be required to register separately for each region in which they fish. There will be no charge to register until 2011, at which point an annual registration fee of about $25 a year will apply. All fees collected through this federal program will go to the U.S. treasury.

Those exempted from Registry requirements are: anglers under the age of 16; those who only fish on licensed charter, party or guide boats; hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit; or hold and are fishing under a valid commercial or subsistence fishing license or permit. The National Saltwater Angler Registry is a federal, not state, requirement. State fishing license fees will continue to be required. For more information on the Registry, please go to CountMyFish.noaa.gov. A Virginia Marine Resources Commission report to the General Assembly on the subject can be found in the following document: SJR Report (PDF)

"phonebook"    LOL  when we built a list of numbers of those who we wanted to screw.....we called it a fuckbook.....Jis sayin'