If your Election last more than 48 hrs...

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 05, 2020, 08:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Here is something that the psychologists have so far neglected: the love of ugliness for its own sake, the lust to make the world intolerable. Its habitat is the United States. Out of the melting pot emerges a race which hates beauty as it hates truth. The etiology of this madness deserves a great deal more study than it has got. There must be causes behind it; it arises and flourishes in obedience to biological laws, and not as a mere act of God. What, precisely, are the terms of those laws? And why do they run stronger in America than elsewhere?"  H. L. Mencken

<I decided to live in America for the same reason I go to the zoo.>  I believe Mencken said something similar, and this would make a good sticker, since stickers are a hot topic of late. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 05, 2020, 10:09:07 AM<I decided to live in America for the same reason I go to the zoo.>

This offensive language is what turns people against the establishment, and vote for Trump types. Just sayin.

Ironic bigotry ain't pretty.

Dougfish

Offense language knows no bounds.
Did you listen to the President's address tonight?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on November 05, 2020, 20:22:19 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 05, 2020, 10:09:07 AM<I decided to live in America for the same reason I go to the zoo.>

This offensive language is what turns people against the establishment, and vote for Trump types. Just sayin.

I don't find Mencken's cynical words offensive at all, and he certainly was not part of "the establishment".  Hell fire, I can identify with his mocking, sarcastic style.  Obviously, he could see how humans are truly wacky, and he may even have been a prognosticator.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."  H. L. Mencken

troutrus

I find a value in reading authors of the past is the offered assurance that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Mencken shows that what we are currently experiencing is by no means something new.

"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ~ H. L. Mencken

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 05, 2020, 21:47:45 PM

I don't find Mencken's cynical words offensive at all, and he certainly was not part of "the establishment".  Hell fire, I can identify with his mocking, sarcastic style.  Obviously, he could see how humans are truly wacky, and he may even have been a prognosticator.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."  H. L. Mencken

Yes, but those who oppose the moron too often delude themselves into thinking their compass needle reads north. That is my chief concern.  rabid, blind, morally authoritative assholes will seize this moment, and America will endure something akin to the Salem Witch trials, or the inquisition.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on November 06, 2020, 12:17:18 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 05, 2020, 21:47:45 PM

Yes, but those who oppose the moron too often delude themselves into thinking their compass needle reads north. That is my chief concern.  rabid, blind, morally authoritative assholes will seize this moment, and America will endure something akin to the Salem Witch trails, or the inquistion.

I question if "too often delude" is accurate.  There is no grey area when it comes to honesty, empathy, benevolence, and rational thinking  --- no real confusion if the "compass needle" reads close to true.    But if the moral needle is 180 degrees off then every bloke and their dog understand the moron is fucked up, and you replace with hopefully someone sounder and attempt recovery or you bury your head in the sand.  I can accept the needle being a bit off on anyone, including myself and our leaders, but I will not accept the damned compass NEVER reading true.

Onslow

I'm not disappointed with the results of the election. Both parties were humbled a bit, and that clearly isn't a bad thing.

Probably the most heartening thing I've seen is more honesty from our minority electorate.  Instead of voting tribal, voting is becoming more balanced and about morals, traditions. Most of the Blacks and Hispanics I know tend to be conservative, although not politically. If the Dems keep pushing the woke agenda along with the witch hunts, they will end up losing the majority of the Hispanic vote, continue to lose the traditional (religious conservative) Black vote. Dem urban elites do not understand Hispanics, period.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on November 08, 2020, 07:21:02 AMI'm not disappointed with the results of the election. Both parties were humbled a bit, and that clearly isn't a bad thing.

Probably the most heartening thing I've seen is more honesty from our minority electorate.  Instead of voting tribal, voting is becoming more balanced and about morals, traditions. Most of the Blacks and Hispanics I know tend to be conservative, although not politically. If the Dems keep pushing the woke agenda along with the witch hunts, they will end up losing the majority of the Hispanic vote, continue to lose the traditional (religious conservative) Black vote. Dem urban elites do not understand Hispanics, period.

Admittedly I know extraordinarily little about our nation's political demographics.  Ken, no indignation intended, but I loathe phrases like "our minority electorate".  Lofty philosophy, but I hope for the commonality of "our American electorate".

You seem to highlight the potential political blunders of the left.  What about the threats and anarchy from the other side – like QAnon and the white jingoist and xenophobes?  There is fault on both sides.

Will we heal and come together as a nation?  Yes, I must believe we will.

troutrus

I'm pleased with the results because I think the fish will be better off with a Biden administration.