News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A day with my Brother on Morgan Run

Started by tw5270, July 10, 2006, 15:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw5270

While up in Maryland for the 4th I decided to get together with my brother for a little fishing.
He picked me up at my in laws and we headed out.

It should never surprise you when you hear how Maryland has messed up their section of the Chesapeake...this is the waterfront view near my in laws....

We went to get licenses and found out the store we went to stopped selling them
So we ended up at Wal Mart and finally got legal before driving to the stream. The stream is part of a state park and is a Catch and Release only stocked stream. It was a little low and they had gotten serious bouts of rain the week before. We saw evidence streamside that the water had risen up over 5' in some places.

Once there we hiked downstream and began our fishing to fish up to the car. I landed a decent Brown on my second cast and thought the day had promise.

We went fishless for a bit, although I did miss one decent strike. Picked up a few small fingerlings.

John ( my brother) did hook up at a hole that always holds fish, but it was a bluegill, we saw no trout there.

After we reached the car we decided to keep fishing up stream. We found a few in pockets and I managed three more average size browns.

Eventually we found a long glass pool with three or four sipping teeny tinys off the surface.

After John cast to them a few times I took a shot, I got two to rise but missed both.

I ended the day on this fabulous note...
Yes that's a 3" rip in the leg of my waders.

I was falling backward and got hung on a small tree that had been cut down and RRRIIIPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Woolly Bugger

ah, battle scars on the waders, just like notches on the bedpost ;),

and hey a 3" rip in your waters isn't 1/2 as bad as a 6" rip on your shin...

I've got you beat there, you can patch up those waders in a couple of minutes... but it took 6 weeks for my shin to heal..

that looks like a nice little stream there, always nice to find some c&r water even if it's stocked....

Everytime you see a ding on a reel or a rip on your waders or a scar on your shin you'll reflect on the fleckless day on the stream....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tw5270

NICE! That looks painful, those shin smacks hurt.
I am still pondering the best course for patching the waders. I have a few ideas, I just want to think it out before I mess something up ;D

There are a few C&R Streams in MD that stay that way all year, that is one of them.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: tw5270 on July 10, 2006, 16:16:46 PM
NICE! That looks painful, those shin smacks hurt.
I am still pondering the best course for patching the waders. I have a few ideas, I just want to think it out before I mess something up ;D

There are a few C&R Streams in MD that stay that way all year, that is one of them.

what kind are they and did they come with a patch.  There is this really good tape for the job too but I don't know what it's called or where to get it....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tw5270

Orvis Pro Guides. I have at least two patches around here somewhere, just not sure where...
I have thought about paying Orvis to do it (also need some repair on the bonding tape on one bootie)

I also thought about using a Hapolone Neoprene patch, as large as my knee area just for re-enforcement.

I also have some of the UV wader repair by loon that I have yet to use.

I went to the Zodiac boat, and DUI Drysuit repair schools while in the Army, so patching fabrics is not new to me, I just want to do it right the first time, if so, it can be stronger than the original.

Any tips or tricks welcome.... ;D

jamie

Seam grip will get it done and you wont need to use the patch. Put a piece of duct tape on the inside of the wader to bring the tear closer together and put a bead of seam grip over the hole. The repair will out live your waders.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

larrybug

the best wader patch is the two part five minite epoxy in the double hypo tube. i cut a piece out of the inside wader pocket pouch ( its the same material as the waders)   my last waders had 54 patches when i retired them

jamie

Dam Wooly. Those shin injuries hurt like hell.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach