News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spittle tells a story????

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, August 22, 2016, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

‪Genealogy site MyHeritage says 92 million user accounts compromised https://www.statnews.com/2018/06/05/genealogy-site-myheritage-says-92-million-user-accounts-compromised/ via @statnews‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: BRFFF on August 11, 2018, 07:46:48 AM
NPE

https://nypost.com/2018/08/11/ancestry-tests-are-revealing-shocking-family-secrets/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

No kidding!  I was recently informed from the spit test what I already knew.  I'm a kraut.

Now, the interesting facet of all this ancestry bullshit is you can deter the relatives, unless you suddenly acquire wealth (win the lottery), by including an honest profile.

When my results appeared online, I received multiple exchanges from unfamiliar relatives.  That persisted until I completed my profile, stating I was an atheist – not one word or message since then. 

I bet if I'd falsely alluded that I believed in Nessie, mountain lions in the east, or Bigfoot, the interactions would have continued and even increased.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

benben reincarnated

Long story short, my great uncle discovered he fathered a child when he was in Germany in WW2 via my ancestry results.  I was contacted by a German guy who was matched as my 1st or 2nd cousin, he'd been looking for his father.  He got in contact with my other relatives and was able to meet his 93 year old father for the first time earlier this year.  My recently discovered cousin has been living in the US since the 60s.  My uncle fondly remembered his mother but had no idea she was pregnant when his commission ended and he came back to the US, so they never stayed in contact.  She died in the US in 2008. 

BRFFF

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna919236

More than 60 percent of Americans who have some European ancestry can be identified using DNA databases — even if they have not submitted their own DNA, researchers reported Thursday.

Woolly Bugger

The authorities in Minnesota said they identified a suspect in the killing using genealogy and tracked him to a hockey game, where they collected a sample of his DNA.

More than 15 million people have offered up their DNA to online genealogy services in recent years. While they represent a small fraction of all people, the pool of profiles is large enough to allow 60 percent of white Americans â€" the primary users of DNA sites in the United States â€" to be identified through the databases, according to researchers. Researchers believe that in the coming years, 90 percent of Americans of European descent will be identifiable, even if they have not submitted their own DNA

Read More...

https://nyti.ms/2V7Aqu3?smid=nytcore-ios-share

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

A happy, white innocent European here!  -+;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-were-cracking-cold-cases-with-a-dna-website-then-the-fine-print-changed/ar-AAJgcVZ?ocid=spartanntp

QuoteIn April 2018, California authorities revealed that they'd used a novel investigative technique to arrest a man they called the Golden State Killer, a serial murderer who'd escaped capture for decades.

For the first time, police had submitted DNA from a crime scene into a consumer DNA database, where information about distant relatives helped them identify a suspect.

The announcement kindled a revolution in forensics that has since helped solve more than 50 rapes and homicides in 29 states.

But earlier this year, that online database changed its privacy policy to restrict law enforcement searches, and since then, these cold cases have become much harder to crack. The change is allowing some criminals who could be identified and caught to remain undetected and unpunished, authorities say.

"There are cases that won't get solved or will take longer to solve," Lori Napolitano, the chief of forensic services at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, said.

The switch was imposed by GEDmatch, a free website where people share their DNA profiles in hopes of finding relatives. The company had faced criticism for allowing police to search profiles without users' permission, and decided that it would rather make sure members understood explicitly how investigators were using the site. So, it altered its terms of service to automatically exclude all members from law enforcement searches and left it to them to opt in.

Overnight, the number of profiles available to law enforcement dropped from more than 1 million to zero. While the pool has grown slowly since then, as more people click a police-shield icon on GEDmatch allowing authorities to see their profile, cases remain more difficult to solve, investigators say.
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 20, 2019, 17:17:23 PMThe authorities in Minnesota said they identified a suspect in the killing using genealogy and tracked him to a hockey game, where they collected a sample of his DNA.

More than 15 million people have offered up their DNA to online genealogy services in recent years. While they represent a small fraction of all people, the pool of profiles is large enough to allow 60 percent of white Americans â€" the primary users of DNA sites in the United States â€" to be identified through the databases, according to researchers. Researchers believe that in the coming years, 90 percent of Americans of European descent will be identifiable, even if they have not submitted their own DNA

Read More...

https://nyti.ms/2V7Aqu3?smid=nytcore-ios-share

This does not keep me up at night.  FB compiling facial recognition data, and the prospect of said data being sold to various entities bothers me.

The Dude

I had to submit a DNA sample to the government when I served in the Army.  It was not optional.  The purpose was so they could identify remains if I got blowed up in Iraq - which is fine by me.  But I doubt that access to that database is restricted to only that purpose.  Good thing I am a lawful citizen.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

Quote from: The Dude on October 25, 2019, 07:42:30 AMGood thing I am a lawful citizen.

Now that I've curtailed my explorations on private property due to concerns about tech in the woods, I have completely lost interest in fishing.  It was never the fishing that got me off, but rather being free, and enjoying forbidden places. 

If my wife passes before I do, I will take a trip to the Labrador Hwy, abandon the car in the most remote part of Labrador, and start walking until something eats me or I die of starvation/hypothermia/elements.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on October 25, 2019, 18:30:18 PM
Quote from: The Dude on October 25, 2019, 07:42:30 AMGood thing I am a lawful citizen.

Now that I've curtailed my explorations on private property due to concerns about tech in the woods, I have completely lost interest in fishing.  It was never the fishing that got me off, but rather being free, and enjoying forbidden places. 

I feel this and agree. But, just wear a mask or something. I've done it. [emoji846]

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on October 25, 2019, 18:30:18 PMIf my wife passes before I do, I will take a trip to the Labrador Hwy, abandon the car in the most remote part of Labrador, and start walking until something eats me or I die of starvation/hypothermia/elements.

I can appreciate this plan.  We should all have such a blueprint.  I'll smoke a ton of weed, attempt to make amends for my multiple transgressions, and travel to the ends of this earth to enjoy a Katy Perry concert, if my lovely wife passes first.  But I don't think statistics are on our side.  In fact, I've discussed in length with the Mrs and son my wishes for my ceremonial dirt snooze.  Hokie Stone monument, song list, celebratory food and drink, etc. all planned out.  Just last week my son and I reviewed the plan – no scripture, no sermon, no hymns, great food and drink (including hooch), first patron to make everyone laugh goes to the front of the food/drink line, first patron to shed a tear goes to the back of the line.  Simple design.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

I will fight the reaper til my last breath.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?