Wounded Warrior Fly Fishing Program

Started by Al, November 15, 2007, 22:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Let me start right off by apologizing for this being such a quick and short note about the Wounded Warrior Fly Fishing Program. I am heading off for a week of deer hunting in the morning and want to get this out while it is still fresh news.

The John E Pechmann Fishing Education Center (JEPFEC) located in Fayetteville, NC, partnered with a group of fly fishermen from the Pinehurst area and the Womack Army Medical Center (WAMC) to host a Wounded Warrior Fly Fishing Program on Thursday, November 15, 2007. This is a great program which gives wounded warriors a chance to learn fly fishing and more importantly to take their mind off their medical problems and what is happening with them at this troubling time in their military life.

The program started off with a brief classroom introduction to fly fishing followed by a short knot tying class and some hands on casting instruction. From there our small group of very enthusiastic wounded warriors went to the fish ponds where they tired out their new skills fishing for hybred striped bass and catfish.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

You can tell by the smiles that this was most likely the highlight of their day.

Everyone caught fish. Many caught well up into the double digits. We all agreed that hybred stripers on a flyrod are a blast.

Even the small fish of the day brought a smile to this soldiers face.

The LT who is also a wounded warrior was just another happy fisherman today.

Had to insert this photo in here - You folks have probably heard of RHIP (Rank Has Its Privilege) The LT got a headstart last week when he met me at the JEPFEC. I offered him my rod and some personal instruction that soon resulted in his catching this very respectable catfish.

As an old retired military man I have to close by saying that it gives me great pleasure to just be associated with these great soldiers. After watching and talking with them you can't help but come away with a catch in your throat and sense of pride. I know that everyone of the volunteers and the JEPFEC staff share my feelings. We hope that today's event was just the first of many.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Gofisher

Very nice and thanks for sharing it!  ;hb
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

FT

Well done Al, and thanks for sharing. The pictures say it all.
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

9ft4wt

Bloy

Outstanding program! Great way of sharing with those who deserve it most!  ;)
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Al

Looks like this program is going to take off in a big way. The Director of the NCWRC JEPFEC and I had a meeting with Ft Bragg folks who can make things happen about two weeks ago and lined up a schedule to take advantage of the trout which we recently placed in the JEPFEC ponds - The trout will do double duty. Every other week on a week day for the Wounded Warriors and on weekends for our regular fly fishing clinics.

Gander Mountain graciously donated a half dozen Beginners Fly Tying Kits and Tar Heel Fish & Game has promised to keep us supplied with thread, hooks and other tying materials so we will add fly tying to our Wounded Warrior offering. (The folks at Womack Army Hospital told us part of the challenge is giving them something to do to take their mind off their problems)

For those that may not be  interested in fly fishing but would still enjoy a day of fishing we will have spinning rods and worms available for use on the catfish ponds. We even have a handicap deck built on one pond and for those whose handicap may preclude casting we have ten sets of rods that clamp to a wheelchair and are operated with a battery operated joy stick.

Our next event is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan 9th from 1-5pm. I'll let you know how it goes and if it grows like I anticipate I may be asking for some help. No matter how you feel about the war, these guys and gals went and now need our help. I look at this as a way to do a small part in putting their lives back together.