life and everything else in this recap of the last week...

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 16, 2017, 20:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 79, 80

The 17 year old bi-annual Southern Bake thing known as The Psycho Fly Fihers or PFF for short had it's 36th gathering on the banks of the Watauga River in East Tennessee. I didn't attend, was planning to go and cook too, but the GF had some time off that overlapped the event. We spent the days in Western NC on a R&R trip that included visits to waterfalls and visiting friends in the area. The leaves were just starting to turn, but you can't plan everything. I brought along a rod but it never left its case, no time for fishing, but that was a good thing.

Yeti Killer???
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Look at the width of these logs!

Dinner...

Drove back into town on Monday evening and stopped in for a beer after dropping the GF off at her place. The phone rang, Randy, my parent's neighbor on the line informed me that my mom, who is one month shy of 92, was in an auto accident and he had taken my dad down to the hospital. Mom had suffered a subdural hematoma but was otherwise in good condition. After a three day, she returned home and is getting along great. 

On Tuesday I got a message from a friend asking if I had heard about Sterling. This dude lost his wife in August of last year, and now his daughter had to bury her father who had suffered a heart attack and had died alone at home.
On Thursday I got a call from a PFF straw boss, and he told me that at the bake they had decided that the PFF should send last spring's group photo to F.T. who had attended back then, but was now succumbing to his battle with cancer and in hospice. I sent the files off to my printer and later in the day took it over to the framer who promised that it would be ready by five on Friday.

Busy work day on Friday, and dinner with the GF at 6:30 and Béla Fleck at 8:00 for the annual Piedmont Land Jam concert made for a tight schedule. Ran home, got changed, off to the frame shop. The print looked stunning, sort of elegant considering the subject matter, and I had the framer take a quick pic before I took it over to the UPS for shipping. Packed and shipped and I had time for a beer before heading over for dinner.

Laura Lynn Dossett opened the concert and preformed a great set of her soulful ballads and protest songs. Then, after a brief intermission Béla took the stage with Abigale Washburn and entertained us all with music, stories and jokes for the next two hours!

Saturday I finished up work, billing and quarterly taxes, before heading out to Sterling's funeral service. I was an informal affair with several of his musician friends playing some of his favorite tunes. The was a large gathering of family and friends. Stories were told and we celebrated his life for the short time we gathered. I took off after an hour or so, and headed up to the local to clear my head.

Moderate flow, slight stain, I'll throw a streamer. Fished the big hole and on down the island run without a bump. Worked all the places where I'd found trout before, but nobody was home. Then, boom! Nice fish, good fight. Stripped into the net in short order, oh my, what a beautiful fish! Photos don't do it justice. This is the first decent fish I've caught since the spring on this stretch of water and I hope this is a good sign that the fall/winter/spring will bring more great fish to hand.

Moving on down I got into a pair of small bass, but no more trout were found and I left the water when it was too dark to see.

On the way home I replied to an earlier text about fishing the SoHo on Sunday. I said, "if I get up in time, I'll be there.

File under strange stuff you see on the road...

On the road at 7:20, I only had to stop for coffee and ice. Two sixer of Laguntus Sucks were in the Yeti and I carried a couple into the river and down to my friend who was wading at the hole below the asshole.

We talked mid-stream while we drank our beer. The conversation was more important than fishing at the moment. I caught him up with the F.T. / PFF story and he told me about his trips to B.C. and Spain.

The sluice was over 300 and not a flow that I was used to fishing, it showed because I was thinking streamers, and as other reports would tell, the fish were feeding on midges. We moved up top for the evening hatch, which was a mixed bag of sulfurs and bows. Many fish were caught and we even had a couple of doubles. Thinks looked like there were picking up a dusk and I tried to move into positon but slipped and fell into the chilly water, which quickly ran down my waist high waders and ran down into my boots. That was it for me and I hiked out to change into dry clothes.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Damn, I hope your mother doesn't loose her driving privileges. 

Good stuff all around

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on October 16, 2017, 20:11:49 PM

Good stuff all around

I don't think I want her to drive any more.... jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

You were missed at PFF, Woolly. Looks like you had an eventful week to say the least. Very noice brown, sir.  'c;

jtdriver

Fuk. Nice fish. At least you have been able to get out and fish.

A lot going on here as well. Hope to make a an albie run soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IFStultz

Haha! We saw that rig on our way back Sunday.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 16, 2017, 20:22:01 PM
Quote from: Onslow on October 16, 2017, 20:11:49 PM

I don't think I want her to drive any more.... jis say'in

Find a doctor with some guts. After an episode with my Mom about three years ago,  a great doc corrected her meds.
He then diagnosed her base issue, came in close, held her hands and told her she could never drive again or live by herself.
Game changer.

A helluva week, btw.  0:0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

sanjuanwormhatch

Stone-Man

Good luck to Mom.  Nice report also.

There is an outfit in Hampton,Tn  that molds all manor of concrete animals,etc,etc.

JT