Holston this past weekend

Started by T5Video, July 03, 2013, 14:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T5Video

Went to the Holston this weekend with hopes of lots of fish on top and it did not disappoint. Me and fishing partner got up Friday night to get a early start on Saturday. Called the TVA line first thing and heard 8-9 pulse then 2 - 7 generation, so figured our plans to start on the upper reaches (actually fished closer to middle) then head down stream to avoid the oncoming water. It was slow early on but after the the pulse came thru the sulphurs started coming off and the fish where looking up. Nothing special caught maybe a dozen, partner caught less but still caught. We left the water to anticipate the generation and decided to head up to the fly shop to stock up on some cdc and tippet material.
In the store we found out they changed the generation to just a pulse from 5-6 (maybe 4-5 too much fun in college brain doesn't work as good as it should on short term memory crap).
We decided to try to catch the spinner fall and picked a location. Had a great hatch until about 8:30 but we never saw the spinners. Still several good fish was brought to hand with my largest being around a 14" brown. When we got to the parking area we heard some anglers talking about the spinner fall while we saw none.
We awoke Sunday to a sausage and egg breakfast and headed upstream. I caught a few on #20 blue wing olives very early, the best being a 15" bow. The sulphurs started to come off and it was a grand time. Probably close to 20 fish where brought in, nothing real special but a decent brown about 15".
We left the stream to grab a bite and find a different location to catch the spinner fall. We set up in opur location as the water was receding from the pulse. I only managed about 6 with nothing fantastic and I never saw the spinners. Meanwhile my friend managed close to 15 and had the spinners. He was only about 75 - 100 yards up stream of me and I could see if the hole time. I just never saw the spinners. I never realized how localized the spinner fall could be, which sucked for me
We hiked out in the dark with our head lamps on.
We where leaving on Monday but had till about 11:30 to fish. Again after the morning pulse we waded into receding waters. I had a good brown in about 10 minutes and several other smaller fish. The hatch really never got started until about 10:45. I didn't like exactly where I was fishing and notice near a bank some fish rising. I caught several small fish and it was close to leaving time. I saw a fish rise within 2 feet of the bank and made my cast, he struck I set the hook and a good battle ensued. I landed a 20" brown (my best on that river). Nice way to end my trip and head back to the BBQ capital of the world (okay NC )

Woolly Bugger

Nice (you suck), looks like you guys made the most of it (you suck), nice brownie, hard to appreciate the size (stream side measured?) of a fish when it's in the bottom of the net (you suck).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

T5Video

Sorry for bottom of net pic but I am trying to handle fish as little as possible. It was measured against my friends arm then once back at vehicle measurement was confirmed.
Personally I am glad I suck because I do not suck often enough when it comes to fish.  /'/

Woolly Bugger

A cubit (elbow to fingertips) is 18", ask Rod Champion!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Transylwader

I wouldn't mind trouncing an 18" brown meself...well played bru 8)

Boykin

Good story and nice fish. Glad you and Doc had a good trip.