News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spittle tells a story????

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, August 22, 2016, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

WW I era  persecution here in the US compelled many to go Anglo.

I have no idea how my father's name was spelled in the Old World.  Christian Schware (ie) was a hired  mercenary during the 1812 conflict.

Dougfish

My Germans were here in the late 1600's - early 1700's. Names were goobered up long before the great wars. Revolutionary War service for both namesakes. In fact, it appears both were at Yorktown. I'm blueblood.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

The Germans I have found in my family tree were Messers. They have been here in North Cackilacky awhile, as one of my ggggggg-grandaddies, Captain Robert Messer, was sentenced to be hung, drawn, and quartered for treason against the Crown as a leading regulator at the Battle of Alamance in 1771. My bunch never has played well with others.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Spit was sent a week ago.  No surprises expected.

driver

Me and my sister unknowingly did the spit test and the same time earlier this year. I was disappointed that she had done this because I figured our results should be the same.

About a week before I got my results she got hers. And it showed Scandinavian at about 42% and 4% British

When I received mine it was 58% British and 11% Scandinavian. So I guess there is a lot of variation of what genes get passed on from sibling to sibling. Or the whole spit test is a crock of shit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Phil

"Or the whole spit test is a crock of shit."

Bingo.

Onslow

Easy there Phil.  I suspect there is significant variation in genes being passed down.  If Driver came back with results claiming his ancestry is Korean & Native American, then one could claim crock of shit.

There is also something called margin of error.

Onslow

My SIL's MIL is a upper 80ish woman with cervical cancer and enjoys talking about adultery.  I suspect her offspring has some variation.

driver

Quote from: Onslow on December 23, 2017, 12:00:35 PM
My SIL's MIL is a upper 80ish woman with cervical cancer and enjoys talking about adultery.  I suspect her offspring has some variation.
Lol

sanjuanwormhatch

I've thought about doing it but I've always kind of felt like it's a little big brother-y and I'm not really a paranoid person. 

Onslow

Results are in.
76% Swiss Alps area
16% Mediterranean Coon...  Proud Roman heritage
7 % British....someone probably got raped on the boat.
Trace Caucus

driver

Lol. Whitey

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on December 23, 2017, 10:01:54 AM
"Or the whole spit test is a crock of shit."

Bingo.

Not so fast. 

Ancestry.com provides a DNA family option that matches your DNA with the closest matches in their database.  No one in my wife's family circle used the family tree option, which requires manual entry names in order to test the DNA matching feature.  Aliases were also used instead of real names.  Their system found close relatives, and was sufficiently accurate on degrees up separation.

Not being native of Sorry Cnty NC, I thought it would be interesting to learn more about it's inhabitants.  Being my MIL's people have inhabited the county for quite a while, and the county is somewhat inbred, I gave my MIL a test kit for Christmas.  The results were stunning.  I had speculated she would be 10% Native American, 10-20 percent Dutch, but mostly Irish, and Scottish.  The results were:

46% Scandi
19% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
10% British/Saxon
9% Western European, southern German
9% Mediterranean
5% Iberian P

These tests have also provided some clues for the long burning questions regarding the influence of Roman society/DNA in France, Germany, and England.  I honestly was taken back by the amount of Mediterranean DNA found in my wife's family.

I was expecting my wife to be about 50 % Western European, and 45% Scottish/Irish/Welsh.  This because her father was Moravian, and most hailed from Germany.  My wife's grandmother was a Bodenheimer, and they originated from the Duchy of Baden.  Her grandfather/paternal apparently was an English convert with an interchangeable Scottish/German name.

Results:

45% Great Britain,
17% Western European, southern German
17% Irish/Scottish/Welsh
5% Scandi
6% Finnish
5% Mediterranean
4% Iberian

Perhaps this explains my wife's fixation on British society.