News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Labor Shortage

Started by Onslow, September 12, 2016, 16:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone-Man

One of the big problems that I see is the govt. allowing millions to set on their asses and do nothing when they are physically able
to perform useful labor and make decent wages.  This problem is chronic here in Rural Tennessee. Truly remarkable at the number of welfare recipients between
the ages of 20 to 50.
There are help wanted signs all over E Tenn. and the newspaper is full of help wanted adds.

JT

ptfranze

Quote from: Yallerhammer on September 13, 2016, 14:09:08 PM
One problem is that young folks aren't taught how to do anything with their hands nowadays. They are trained intellectually, but no mechanical or labor skills. I work with crews of college students sometimes, and it is amazing how many of them have no idea how to use basic tolls like a shovel, mattock, saw, hammer, etc. I guess I took it for granted growing up on a farm with not much money, but the average 16-year old boy here when I was growing up could do almost anything from plumbing to mechanic work to operating heavy equipment. Most younger folks nowadays can't even drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. Our culture has shifted away from self-reliance and toward paying someone else to do everything.

Completely agree with this.  Kids come in the classes my wife and I teach (she teaches engineering)  and most the kids have never picked up a tool in their life, some can't even name tools.  The vast majority of kids can't even read a ruler or tape measure.  It's sad it takes a week to teach some of these kids how to do that alone. 

Woolly Bugger

I had shop in 7th grade, first lesson was to draw an inch at 4x scale and label it down to 1/16". Next lesson was to draft plans for 1st project, a napkin holder. Then we learned about the tools we were going use, both manual and power tools. "Straight, square and smooth," is what Herman Hermanie taught us. Short and slight, this guy was feared by all and his safety lessons stick with all that he taught. He had a "horror" story about each power tool that he include with the introduction of each; "The necktie and the lathe", "Fingers ground to nubs on the sander", "Neck cut open by the drill press" and more....
Then we stated building our projects. Next was a pump handle lamp with a hammered copper ash tray. Stained and varnished and waxed our work. Imagine that in 2016! We used drill presses, belt sanders, and a lathe!  And that was in 7th grade!

I moved schools the next year and my next project and my shop notebook were give to a new kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JMiller

Lots of good posts here.

Part of the problem too is that small employers are still paying 90's wages of $10/12 dollars an hour with no benefits to start out, which really doesnt buy anything, and you can make as much from the government claiming your back hurts. Stamping out parts on an assembly line or climbing under someones house all day pretty  much sucks, especially when there are other options available.

And most people who have the fortitude and self motivation to become solid employees are looking for fulfilling careers, not simply decent wages. That's our culture. We teach our kids to seek out personal fulfillment rather than a paycheck, and I dont necessarily see that as bad advice.

Also, a solid 40% of able bodied, working age males in the south are completely worthless or unreliable because they're on pills or meth, so that kind of limits things.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

Quote from: JMiller on September 14, 2016, 09:51:04 AM
Lots of good posts here.

Part of the problem too is that small employers are still paying 90's wages of $10/12 dollars an hour with no benefits to start out, which really doesnt buy anything, and you can make as much from the government claiming your back hurts. Stamping out parts on an assembly line or climbing under someones house all day pretty  much sucks, especially when there are other options available.

And most people who have the fortitude and self motivation to become solid employees are looking for fulfilling careers, not simply decent wages. That's our culture. We teach our kids to seek out personal fulfillment rather than a paycheck, and I dont necessarily see that as bad advice.

Also, a solid 40% of able bodied, working age males in the south are completely worthless or unreliable because they're on pills or meth, so that kind of limits things.

This
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

VaTrout

Quote from: JMiller on September 14, 2016, 09:51:04 AM

Especially this!

Yallerhammer

Those meth and oxy heads will work themselves to death to steal all your shit while you're at work, though.

Woolly, that sounds a lot like my old shop teacher, right down to the necktie/lathe and thumb/radial arm saw stories. One of our first projects then was usually a three-gun gun rack with attached ammo cabinet with sliding doors on the bottom. I made mine from wormy chestnut. The aforementioned meth/oxy enthusiasts have now made gun racks obsolete, though-you have to keep them locked up in a safe now and they'll still get to them sometimes.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

All this grousing about today's lazy-assed, delinquent, freeloading youth is making my ass want to suck a lemon!

We, as a couple of you noted, are liable, so we should try to repair the dilemma.

As Malone (Sean Connery) said: "You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?"
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

KWAJ JOBS: There are 16 new Kwajalein Job Opportunities this week. Please LIKE & SHARE! :) (y)

Here's the list...

Environmental Lead
Fuels Supervisor
Automotive Production Controller
HVAC Foreman
Harbor Master
Captain 1600T
MWR Technician
Firefighter/EMT
Accounting Clerk I
Physician
Dental Assistant
Registered Nurse
Tech Control Technician III
Hardware Engineer
Systems Engineer
Senior Digital Hardware Engineer

https://www.kwajnet.com/kwajalein-job-opportunities-17-april-2021/

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I doubt I can work remotely. And I'm not qualified. And there's no brook trout.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on April 17, 2021, 19:24:55 PMAre the GTs there?

not to my knowledge, we caught common reef fish, yellow tail tuna, parrot fish, sharks, snapper. Off shore wahoo, marlin, tuna. mahi, grouper

me -There's a season?

Stone-Man

Every food service facility in town is looking for help. And cannot find it.  Plus several other manufacturing firms cannot find help either.
The "Help"  just got 1400 $ from uncle joe and they won't want to work for months.
Pisses me off

JT

Phil

For the restaurant and other service industry workers that got laid off for the pandemic -- they are still eligible for the emergency $600/week Federal unemployment. That's more than most restaurant/service workers make in the first place.