• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
April 17, 2021, 19:39:23 PM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Recent posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
The bar is open.... / Re: Labor Shortage
Last post by driver - Today at 19:24:55 PM
Are the GTs there?
Last post by Dougfish - Today at 19:11:47 PM
I doubt I can work remotely. And I'm not qualified. And there's no brook trout.
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 16:51:52 PM

KWAJ JOBS: There are 16 new Kwajalein Job Opportunities this week. Please LIKE & SHARE! :) (y)

Here's the list...

Environmental Lead
Fuels Supervisor
Automotive Production Controller
HVAC Foreman
Harbor Master
Captain 1600T
MWR Technician
Firefighter/EMT
Accounting Clerk I
Physician
Dental Assistant
Registered Nurse
Tech Control Technician III
Hardware Engineer
Systems Engineer
Senior Digital Hardware Engineer

https://www.kwajnet.com/kwajalein-job-opportunities-17-april-2021/

Warm Water / Re: Local Bass Pond (again)
Last post by itieuglyflies - Today at 15:00:10 PM
Great to see Al can fish without a woman in boat.
The bar is open.... / Re: For the love of guns
Last post by Big J - Today at 14:58:59 PM
I'm not putting a number on the amount of lives that were saved due to the defensive use of a gun because it is unobtainable. But it doesn't mean it isn't something to consider with real life scenarios that have played out. Sutherland Springs shooting is the big one that stands out. That guy had a list of churches he was going to shoot up and a civilian was able to put him down as he was trying to get to his car to go to the next church. There are a lot of cases where someone stops someone from committing  mass murders because they were stopped and those stories never make the news because "nothing tragic happened" and the it does not fit the media's narrative they want to push.

PS I believe the US is around 20th in gun deaths per capita.
Warm Water / Re: Local Bass Pond (again)
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 14:21:11 PM
Al gettin after it again!!  :cheers
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - Today at 14:07:32 PM
Quote from: Big J on Today at 13:09:55 PMI agree. Let's say the number is 1.22 million defensive uses. Right smack in the middle. Let's say 5% of those uses save a life. Still at 61,000 lives saved is almost double the amount loss. As someone in the scientific field you very well know you cannot talk about a solution without evaluating the outcomes on the other side. Some of the defensive uses save a lot of people.

"Some of the defensive uses save a lot of people."  You can't claim that from that figure and definition.

Yes, a possible evaluation and solution with solid numbers, based on a clear definition.  Not a speculative solution (where statistics can be manipulated) based on numbers tallied from such a broad definition or description.   

I have no idea if these latest numbers/ratings are available and correct. 
1. Guns per capita
2. Gun related deaths per capita
3. Number of mass shootings/murders w/ clear definition (I believe the FBI defines a "mass murder" as "four or more murdered during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders."
4. Demographics of the mass shooters (gender, age, location, acquisition of weapon(s), etc.)
5. Ease of acquiring firearms (likely no rating)
6. Number of mentally challenged (again, I doubt the numbers are obtainable)
7. Number of "defensive gun uses" that save a life (yes, potentially part of the solution if attainable)

There are other aspects of this conundrum I am sure, but these come to mind and are of interest to me.
Last post by Big J - Today at 13:09:55 PM
I agree. Let's say the number is 1.22 million defensive uses. Right smack in the middle. Let's say 5% of those uses save a life. Still at 61,000 lives saved is almost double the amount loss. As someone in the scientific field you very well know you cannot talk about a solution without evaluating the outcomes on the other side. Some of the defensive uses save a lot of people.
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - Today at 12:22:32 PM
Quote from: Big J on Today at 11:11:44 AMThe article fails to mention the key stat about defensive uses with Firearms. Which FBI did a study and claims it's between 60,000-2.5 million per year. 39,000 deaths with a firearm with most of those being suicide. You do the math on if we are better with or without.

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/firearms/fastfact.html

You may be jumping to a conclusion on the numbers.  The report "indicates a range of 60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year" and it notes the varying defensive gun use definitions as, "it is generally defined as the use of a firearm to protect and defend one's self, family, others, and/or property against crime or victimization".  These numbers and variable definition do not mean this many lives were saved.  It likely means anything from saving the family from being killed to running an unarmed trespasser off your land for fishing (my exaggeration).  I don't think all of the 60 grand – 2.5 million is a life saved.  Now are the 39 grand, most self-inflicted, real deaths?

I agree with your next post on mental issues BUT I don't believe we have anymore crazies in the U.S. than other nations.
Last post by Big J - Today at 11:13:40 AM
Me and you have had this discussion before Stephen. America has a mental health issue that it needs to fix. I think mental health issues need to be distigmatized and mental health care needs to be more accessible at all levels, but especially high schools.
Pages1 2 3 ... 10

#CommissionsEarned