News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WNC pounding

Started by diaz dassie, May 16, 2010, 23:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaz dassie

With the back to back VA beat downs, I figured I'll go all in on a WNC trip and the fishing was relentless, I arrived in the "Promis Land" on Friday afternoon and headed straight for my honey hole. On the way there I saw hordes of fish mongers and their own rocks on the D.
The sky was threatening to open once I started fishing but once in the canyon, the system held off till I had to set up my tent in the pissing rain around 8:30PM...
Here are some choice pix. No significant hatches, water was a balmy 48F and there was very little sunshine.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The next day dawned bright and blue and Foulhook and I met up to pounce a creek on the north slope of the Promis Land. No waders for FH this time round so he had to deal with a chilled scrotum for the day ;D The hike in was easy, I have been dabbling with ARC GIS and my GPS to minimize travel and wear and tear on the knees. What a jackpot. We were surprised at the eagerness of these brookies (almost as greedy as their VA cuzzies)What a beautiful creek. Very remote and not the kind of creek I would readily fish alone for obvious reasons...Saw a few yellow sallies, mayflies and numerous stone fly nymphs under the rocks.I opted for the purist method the whole weekend, dries all the way.

Foulhook lining up a victim in his pretty blue shorts ::)

Cannot get enough of the pana shots!

Foulhook thinking he had a short cut figured out, almost ended his career!
Once we had enough of these brookies because the creek kinda looked a bit risque, we bailed back down to my honey hole. It turns out that we fished the whole 1.5 mile section behind some other guy (as we exited above the big falls there was this dude - nice >:D). We were rather bleak and this explained why we caught such few fish o-o
Here are some choice pix from this session. BTW, Cowboys pink weenie is becoming a hit on Foulhooks menu of trout anihilators!I did pick up the App Slam but the brownie wasn't very foto friendly, so go ahead and call BS! :P

No wonder the avg wild bow in this stream runs about 9". Big beast meals like this one!

Stoked to find a way around this fall so we can fish the upper section and slay the brookies, It doesn't have a name on the map but I'll shoot for "House of Pain Creek"
Later on that eevning, some crazy friends of mine showed up at the campsite with their AK-74's the dude who owns the property across the street is a bit of an Ahole and lets his dogs bark into the crazy hours of the morning. We fired off a couple rounds to shut them up.

Today I fished solo and almost ended my fishing career when I decided to be a righteous plonker and go out the side of the canyon thru rhodo choked vert slopes. I could hear the cars but couldn't see squat. It was well scary, but prior to this incident, I reminded the brookies of my VA tutorial over the past two weeks...

The rhodo choked nightmare, 1/8th of a mile, I will never do it again!

Felt very upbeat and ready to ride on back to Raleigh once I kissed the tarmac. Had t ostop off at one of my favorite overlooks. Love the jagged rocks and sense of a real mountain!

I hope everyone managed to get out this weekend, despite the dodgy weather.
Cheers!

FoulHook

I had to work on my leg tan for the ladies at the beach this summer...

Only back-woods rednecks shoot AK's while drinking Bud Heavy ;hb ...

And that bright pink SJW is a beast (thanks BRA).
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

troutphisher

Way to get out and hit the skinny water...... 0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

using PiNk SAn jUan WoRmS is GHey
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

way to get on them fellers.. 0--0FH, wooly is right about the pink worm being ghey but they work so well I let them serve openly in my fly box now..

tbird4

Sounds like a good trip fellars.

FoulHook

Haha! I only used the worm out of desperation when the fishing got real slow. Turns out we were behind some fella.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

diaz dassie

Quote from: FoulHook on May 17, 2010, 10:17:23 AM
Haha! I only used the worm out of desperation when the fishing got real slow. Turns out we were behind some fella.
Man, I really did a number on you, should have kept the  :-X about the filthy SJW or the pink weenie, Cowboy is almost as bad as you preying on them poor brookies in SNP! >:D

flynhokies

way to get after it gentlemen  0--0
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: blue ridge angler on May 17, 2010, 07:52:14 AM
way to get on them fellers.. 0--0FH, wooly is right about the pink worm being ghey but they work so well I let them serve openly in my fly box now..

not that there is anything wrong with that...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

dnakamoto

Diaz you are all over the map lately ... Great report!

MuddlerMan

Damn son!  Fine job you did there, wish I wouldn't have HAD to go to the golf tourney and sit in the Budweiser box and drink free cold beer all day  0--0  But seriously, good going guys
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead