NC Stream (timing is everything)

Started by troutphisher, February 24, 2007, 20:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I was on my way out the door to head out fishing, when the phone rang, it was a fellow employee. Seams his flight was canceled, so he called to see if I wanted to fish. My reply ( does a one legged duck swim in a circle?).

We met up at 8:00am and headed out to the stream. The air temp was 31 deg's when we started. This is a free stone stream at about 2700ft elevation.
The water temp was right at 42, and very clear.

We started the morning fishing small PTN's size 20, fishing the seams, and cross current in the runs and pools. I hooked up with a 18" brown right off a boulder. It seemed the day was going to start off good.

I gave a couple of flies to my guest, and showed him some areas that would hold fish. Soon after he landed a nice brown. The fish were really on today.

We caught several more fish between us all good size browns and rainbows.

We moved down stream about 50 yards and fished another run, that tailed out to a slow pool. The current was perfect for dry fly fishing.

We stayed with the nymphs and caught some more browns during the morning.

At 1:00pm the hatch was on and we switched flies to size 20 bwo's.
We saw fish rising along the banks and under some rhododendrons.

We ended up catching several more fish, all we good size, and fun to catch, they made several hard runs, and the drags were screaming.

Timing is everything, if my friend wouldn't have called me, he would have missed the biggest trout he has ever caught. He landed two fish that were over 20"+.

The smile on his face was all that needed to be said. at the end of the day we just shook hands and knew it was a fine day indeed.

I am going to fish his home waters in upstate New York this spring.

It was an excellent day, the weather warmed up, and the fish were taking our offerings.

He are a few pics of the fish.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

lepomis_mcro

man alive that brown is crazy looking :o.... thats a great looking day on the water.... too bad your not going to make the smith trip
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Devinsdad

Wow-
reat lookin fish Karl-  Brutes..

Glad you guys had a most excellent day!

peter p

Glad you had a better day then I did.  I forgot my boots and I will leave it at that.  Nice looking fish
Peter

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: peter p on February 25, 2007, 09:32:46 AM
Glad you had a better day then I did.  I forgot my boots and I will leave it at that.  Nice looking fish

PeterP, didn't you ever see the movie "The Deer Hunter"?
QuoteYou see this? This is this. This ain't somethin' else. This is this!

btw I think i saw those fish this past fall, but failed to hook up with any of them....

Nice job TP!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Gofisher

Sweet Jeezus TP!  :o I'm ready for a road trip. Good job to you and your friend. Thanks for sharing.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Larry

I obviously need to go to NC and go fishing. Wow! Thanks for the post. What stream did you say that was.  :)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Larry on February 26, 2007, 19:22:42 PM

I obviously need to go to NC and go fishing. Wow! Thanks for the post. What stream did you say that was.  :)

He didn't say, but WE all know where it is....

send a dozen flies to:

Woolly Bugger.....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!