News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

storm dodging

Started by blue ridge angler, July 18, 2010, 20:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue ridge angler

Yesterday I met up with wncpermit, and his friend, who were kind enough to let me join them for a float on his friends raft..We knew the weather was going to be spotty, and as soon as they left me with the raft to take the shuttle vehicle to the takeout the rain started up. There was no lightning, and by the time they got pack the shower was passing..Being the noob at drift fishing I was relegated to the back seat, but didn't mind at all and quickly took to the technique of banging the banks with cast after cast..It wasn't long before I drew first blood..

the water was a little stained, and the fishing was a little bit tough, but the captain knows the area well, and soon put us on a wade-able shoal adjacent to one of his honey holes, and a couple casts later I was into another feisty smallie, who despite being blind in one eye still outpaced my full speed stripping and nailed my streamer.

although he is a fly fisherman, and tyer, the captain was throwing gear and with his secret weapon caught the most, and biggest fish of the day..while rowing most of the time.. 'c; 'c; 'c;

permit caught his fair share of fish, as well as taking a few turns behind the oars, and we managed to stay in between two big cells that sounded, and looked pretty ominous, and although we did get a few sprinkles managed to stay dry for the most part..it was a great float, and the first good smallie fishing of the year, and even though it left my hands bloodied and bruised I'm hungry like the wolf for more...

diaz dassie

Epic reportage Buddy, way to get after em smallies. BTW, I thought smallies inhabit cold water and not warm water...it's like that in South Africa :D

blue ridge angler

Quote from: Transylwader on July 18, 2010, 21:37:19 PM
Epic reportage Buddy, way to get after em smallies. BTW, I thought smallies inhabit cold water and not warm water...it's like that in South Africa :D

Mike,
I think they are considered a warmwater species here, but I think of them as being on the margin between cold and warm...alot of the rivers that flow into the piedmont will tend to be all trout high up, with the trout overlapping into small mouth water, which overlaps into the largemouth water...

snagaluffaguss

Glad you guys got on em.  Smallie fishin been slow down my way.  Spent the weekend in the high country catchin big browns on a tiny trickle.  You know the one Im talking about, its the one I wont talk about. T-Revor joined me for his first time in the trailer park.  Currently finishing off the last of the caucasians left over from the weekend, and watchin some smallie action on WFN.  Tell DIRTY he owes me a smallie float for those boots, or rather he dont owe me shit, but I still want a smallie float. Ill supply the boat, he has to row.

Take is Sleezy
Snag

blue ridge angler

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on July 18, 2010, 22:03:05 PM
Glad you guys got on em.  Smallie fishin been slow down my way.  Spent the weekend in the high country catchin big browns on a tiny trickle.  You know the one Im talking about, its the one I wont talk about. T-Revor joined me for his first time in the trailer park.  Currently finishing off the last of the caucasians left over from the weekend, and watchin some smallie action on WFN.  Tell DIRTY he owes me a smallie float for those boots, or rather he dont owe me shit, but I still want a smallie float. Ill supply the boat, he has to row.

Take is Sleezy
Snag

shit,
if you supply the boat I'm sure he'll row..
I don't mind backseat either..let me know next time you have a free day..
we still need to fish my favorite brookie creek if you haven't been yet..

snagaluffaguss

dude,
I wouldnt call your girl when your outta town.  We'll hit that brookie stream up first chance I get.  In the shop tommorow and clients on tuesday.  Far as I know the rest of the week is free for now untill Saturday. 

wncpermit

I'll row anytime..   its a team effort when fish R brought to the boat  so even though Idid not hook up with any biggies,  I still managed a contact high from those nice piggies in the Photos..   Just  wish the FB was a bit more reliable,  only a few hours after we got off the water its CFS's nearly tripled..   blown out for another week..  Oh and Snuffie..  I am ready to go,  and row your ass round the river,  just find the time to get away....   

Get Bent

Smallies rock... Kick ass report!  'c; -0- -0- -0-
Konichiwa Bitches!

tbird4

Yeauh! Those some good fighting feesh, glad ya'll had a good time out. 0:0