News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Re-introduction

Started by rbphoto, January 18, 2015, 19:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

With all that's been  going on, I needed a trip, if only a short one, to get my starter started.   

Sundays are hard for me.  I prefer to start with worship, but sometimes I can't focus for some of the cues in my brain:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I have all this end-of-life crap to deal with for my uncle, but he was having a good day and we made plans to conquer one of his two last wishes later this week.  Time is growing short and he knows it, most days.

So we had some hard conversations and made some plans.  I had my fishing gear packed, anticipating that I would need some soul cleansing after that and I did. 

Off to the mtns.

Things started slowly with trees and bushes continually grabbing my fly and pissing me off.  Pulled a Talmarkes and took a big swig

Shortenedd the leader and things got better. 

Sort of:

I got distracted for the next hour or so playing with dapping flies here and there, examining how the stream had changed, and enjoying the scenery.

I've been slowly re-visiting SC streams that I haven't fished in a decade or more to see how things have changed.  Particularly, there has been some efforts to re-introduce brook trout, concerning which I have my doubts as to the probability of long-term success.

I love beech leaves and often stop to photograph them, even if it is just with an iPhone

I remembered there used to be this one pool a ways up, so I figured I would give it a try before darkness settled in.  I once caught a 12" wild rainbow in that pool and thought it was one of the most beautiful fish I had ever landed. 

The pool hasn't changed too much, but some. 

I made a few casts and thought, "I should add some split shot for the main pool, but first I want to make one more cast to that little eddy on the left."

I think my reintroduction to this stream is now a success.

I never did add that split shot. 

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

ruttness

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

OldDominionAngler

That's it.  Good stuff RB.  'c;

benben reincarnated

Damn January dry fly action...just proves that rainbows 99% of the time will eat most anything presented to them.

Big J

This was very good.  Nice female brook to end the day.

bmadd

Good stuff from beginning to end. Sounds like you needed that.

rbphoto

Quote from: troutfanatic on January 19, 2015, 11:29:28 AM

One question, why is it that a guy who is a photographer takes pics with his phone while fishing?

Because my fishing and my photography seldom overlap.

I can fish or I can photograph.

Hard to manage a DSLR and a fly rod simultaneously.

I intend to spend an entire day at the Spring camping trip with just a camera (and a beer) in my hands.

"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

rbphoto

Quote from: troutfanatic on January 19, 2015, 13:02:42 PM

dude...
you of all people know you don't need a big camera to take good pics. It helps when you know what you are doing. The wife got me a waterproof Nikon AW for Xmas. I already take better pics and that thing fits in the chest pocket of my waders.
I would post some pics from yesterday, but all you'd see is pics of Rutness casting at nothingness.

I'm too cheap overextended to buy a small camera for me.  I have bought three over the years - for the kids.

I can never find one when I'm going fishing.   b';

That leaves me with a choice of 3 DSLR options, 5-7 lenses, 4 flashes, two backpacks, and a partridge in a pear tree.

No, I don't need a "good camera," but I'm, not making any 20" x 30" portrait prints from a 5s anytime soon . . .

My fishing and my photography nourish different parts of my soul, usually. 

Big J

How you like the Nikon AW1?

ruttness

no offense to any real photographers on here. i did a major on photography in college. modern photography is more about the edit than the picture most of the course was about post photo processing.

that being said, with the right editing software the worst cell phone camera can take a pic that can be edited to look awesome

i prefer putting in the extra work to take a picture worth sharing  straight from the camera when i use my dslr ( which i havent done in way too long) i also enjoy shooting with a fast prime or a good super wide

rbphoto

Quote from: ruttness on January 19, 2015, 15:10:17 PM

i prefer putting in the extra work to take a picture worth sharing  straight from the camera when i use my dslr ( which i havent done in way too long) i also enjoy shooting with a fast prime or a good super wide

Which is why I seldom take my dslr fishing.

I only have time for one obsession at a time.

Transylwader

RB, my sympathy to you during this tough time. Good to see SC trouts getting some attention. The lake has my full attention this spring especially with the three gorges that top her off. Leroy be targeting horndog roaches.
Get out as much as you can. I have a bunch of availability between now and mid-March (when I will be switching out my business portfolio) Not sure how often these twats will send me to TX then.
Be well, mate 8)