Anyone else make it to the US Fly Fishing championships this weekend?

Started by pinu2, May 23, 2011, 15:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinu2

I saw three other guys from RRTU there, but I don't know if any of them post here.

I got real lucky with my controlling assignments, drawing the gold medal winner, the bronze medal winner, and two other guys in the top 25.  Only one of my competitors had a bad session.

I'll tell you one thing, those guys are crazy.  I fish for fun and relaxation, and I don't plan to do any water sprints while I'm fishing.  The bronze medalist caught 31 fish out of the Tuck in 3 hours which some of you may think, "I've had days like that on a DH stream before."

But the sick part is he had to wade back to me after every single fish and then wade back to his spot.  At least 1/2 of his fish were on the far side of the river, so he was running through like 150 yards of water twice after every catch.  So, if you think about it, he was bringing me a fish less than every six minutes, including wading time back and forth.

It was definitely worth working with those guys and watching their techniques, but it also convinced me I don't ever want to fish competitively. 

possessed

I'm glad you had fun.  To each his own, but that ain't my kind of thing.  I have no desire to participate in or even watch something like that.  Again, to each their own.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Don't seem right to put "Fly Fishing" and "Championships" in the same sentence. b'; I did the bass tournament thing for awhile and saw it turn nice guys into obsessed jerks. I hope fly fishing is not heading down that road.

Jfey

ditto what Wooley said... To each his own, but I also think that tournament is a better name than championship.
Yup, going fishing

wvyou

I enjoyed my time as a competitor, and never fail to walk away without learning something of value.

On that note, I'd love to talk about Lance and Norman's technique sometime.  Every little bit of insight helps.

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!