News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Competition - TR

Started by franzenangler, October 03, 2011, 19:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franzenangler

Well the family and I headed down to Florida for five days to visit with my grandparents.  The whole time we were there it seemed that I would be competing with one thing or another.  It started with finicky bass, then moved to alligators, herons, bait chuckers, and ridiculous wind.  I guess I started complaining about not being able to move fish because Dad ventured out to the ponds with me and quickly showed me up numbers wise on the bass.  The key was getting down deep and slow rolling flies on the bottom.  Soon it seemed the bass weren't so finicky, but then things got interesting.  I was fishing an EP minnow and let it die near the bottom and felt a bump.  I set the hook and the thing on the end of my fly doubled my nine weight over and the reel started screaming.  I eventually turned the beast and got it to the bank to find it was a four foot gator.  This would start my competition with the gators.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dad and I found about eight baby gators right behind my grandparents house and of course had to mess with them

Turns out mom wasn't to far away because she lunged up the bank of the pond at me.  It's always a scary moment when you have  a nine foot gator flying torwards you.  Didn't get a picture of her because I was running for my life and she dissapeared into the depths of the pond.

The next couple of days some good fish and good times were had.

Our last day to fish before having to head back to Cackolack would be the best day of the trip for me.  I woke up early and headed out to one of the ponds and landed the best bass of the trip. 

I then devoted the rest of the day to competing with the bait chuckers on the jetty trying my hand at a snook or any saltwater fish for that matter.  I had no clue what i was doing, i would just spend time swinging clousers into the incoming and outgoing tides.I eventually feel a slam and set the hook on what feels like a nice fish.  Turns out it was just a small fish maybe ten inches long.

Later in the day I saw a bunch of birds hitting off the front of the jetty.  The wind was just to strong to cast into so I had to carry on fishing the inside of the jetty.  I eventually felt a strong take and sure enough I had a snook.  They are such strong fish and it was loads of fun to catch.

And like that the trip was over.  I can't wait to go back and spend the whole time on the salt.
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

Transylwader

Glad you got some salty action. Careful Champ, those gators will make quick work of you, especially skinny cackolackians! :P

5xTippett

Those snooks are very, very good to eat!  You did extremely well. -0-

kylemc

Holmes

I'd about soil my britches if a big pissed off mama gator lunged the bank at me. Then again, I wouldn't be messin' with her yungin's either.  :D Excellent report franzen, good couple of days for sure! 'c;

overbrook

You always post quality shit!  bd;0 bd;0 bd;0

bobbyg

Iadmire your persistence in fishing for that fine snook!
I would have packed it in much sooner.

Good post. Enjoyed it a lot!

flyfish_va

Dont just a man by the size of his boat, but by the size of his bait !