Fishing Sunglasses

Started by Dee-Vo, November 25, 2021, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Regardless of price, what are the best fishing sunglasses in your opinion?

This would be for trout fishing.

Also, I've read that glass lenses are better than plastic as they won't scratch nearly as easily.

Thanks in advance.

driver

Costa 500g are tough to beat. I buy beater brands to wear to work, but I am always relieved when I put my Costas on. With that said.. Costa is now owned by the mega Corp. Luxotica. When if comes time for a new pair I may look at Smith. I have heard good things. But have never tried.

Also, after trying many brands of $50ish glasses for work. I have been happy with a brand called Reks. Supposedly unbreakable.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: driver on November 25, 2021, 19:04:17 PMCosta 500g are tough to beat. I buy beater brands to wear to work, but I am always relieved when I put my Costas on. With that said.. Costa is now owned by the mega Corp. Luxotica. When if comes time for a new pair I may look at Smith. I have heard good things. But have never tried.

Also, after trying many brands of $50ish glasses for work. I have been happy with a brand called Reks. Supposedly unbreakable.

Smith and Costa are the reoccurring suggestions that I keep receiving. I'll check the one you mentioned out. Thanks.

troutboy_II

I have worn Smith Guides Choice for about the last 20 years, now on my second pair last year after the "darken/lighten" part didn't work anymore on my original set.  Best part of this?  When I called Smith to ask what I could do to get the chromatic (?) to start working and they said "no".  But that this was covered by their lifetime warranty!  :Dance  <-;:

So after almost 20 years of happily wearing these things, this issue was covered by the warranty.  So they sent me a credit for $260, the cost of a new pair. So I bought another pair.

If warranty is one thing indicative of a good product, then these guys pass that test.  And the new pair work as good as the last pair - easily see below the water to see trouts. 

You pays your money and takes your chances, but I am a Smith fan for sure, particularly after this warranty solution.  Sure worth a look at if you are in the market.

My $.02 since you asked...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Stone-Man

I have liked Hobie for 30 years. When we were shooting the fishing shows for TV , Maui Jim gave the whole crew a pair each of their $260 glasses.  Certainly nice glasses , but  I like my Hobies a little better   because I can see under water better with them .

Stone-Man

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

anyway whatever brand you consider, check out https://www.sierra.com/s~sunglasses/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutboy_II on November 26, 2021, 13:36:21 PMI have worn Smith Guides Choice for about the last 20 years, now on my second pair last year after the "darken/lighten" part didn't work anymore on my original set.  Best part of this?  When I called Smith to ask what I could do to get the chromatic (?) to start working and they said "no".  But that this was covered by their lifetime warranty!  :Dance  <-;:

So after almost 20 years of happily wearing these things, this issue was covered by the warranty.  So they sent me a credit for $260, the cost of a new pair. So I bought another pair.

If warranty is one thing indicative of a good product, then these guys pass that test.  And the new pair work as good as the last pair - easily see below the water to see trouts. 

You pays your money and takes your chances, but I am a Smith fan for sure, particularly after this warranty solution.  Sure worth a look at if you are in the market.

My $.02 since you asked...

TB

Yes. This is what I keep reading about. With all of my fishing gear, if the company stands behind it, then I keep buying from them.

Thanks!

jwgnc

Another choice for eyeglass wearers is the fitover style.  Cocoons is a good choice.  After pulling them off quickly once to get a better look at a fish, I pulled off the prescription glasses too.  Six hundred bucks at the bottom of the river, never to be seen again.  I started wearing keepers on both pair.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Rhody

I wear prescription sunglasses. Have my bifocal prescription in both Smith Guides Choice and Costa Fisch lines. Costa nose pieces and earpieces started disintegrating and I got a new pair of the Smith's made so wouldn't be down without sunglasses. Sent the Costas back and they did warranty them with no problem, I think I only paid for shipping. Now, I have 2 pairs of prescriptions. I find that I wear the Smith's 95% of the time-I think the Chromapop is much clearer than the Costas for me. Costas scratch much easier than the Smiths too-Glass Costas vs. Plastic Smiths.
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Dee-Vo

I bought the Smith Guide's Choice. Used them today for the first time. Love the comfort and clarity. Large lenses make it seem as though you have one large lens without the split.

troutboy_II

Yeah. I like that too and like the way it blocks sun sneaking in through the side.

I must admit I sorta liked the old version a little better, but Trout_Girl said it made me look like Adam Ant.  :o That being said, the new style is comfortable and really work well, so I'll stop complaining.

Glad you found something that worked for you.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dee-Vo

The only thing that is a little annoying is the fact that these glasses seem to be a little large/loose and they want to slide down my nose a little here and there. This is a first.

troutboy_II

For what it's worth, I felt the same when I first got them, but they settled down and fit well after a day or two.  Don't have a clue why. 

TB

Dee-Vo

At least they come with the leash thing. I need to attach this like asap.