News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Big Boyz Don't Cry...

Started by Dougfish, May 05, 2019, 20:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

It's all downhill. To the promise of big brookies.
So back down we went. Big J, Fin and I schemed. Streamer eater became number 4 in the shotgun seat. The weather looked dicey. It's a big drainage and a lot of rain was forecast. But as we got closer, we discovered again why it's called a forecast.
It was a go. I do love this stream. Fuk it. Game on.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fin, the eater and I struck out early Friday with heavy packs and expectations. We cruised, slogged, slipped, struggled, detoured around windfalls and eventually got to our campsite. Tent up, hammocks up, just in case poly up. Firewood gathered, bear containers dealt with. On to fishing. Fin, with no photo documentation, hit up some tribs. Alex and I hit up the main.

Alex on the board on the second cast? Dayum.
And we continued to catch at a fair pace.

We did our damage and backtracked to camp to get a fire started before said rain(?). Alex dug into his pack and whipped out a sawzall!

Holy crap. Newbie of the year award!
I started on warming my 5 lbs of frozen White Bean Chicken Chili and Fin reported back with great success. About the time I rang the dinner bell, J stumbled in after working until 3 and hitting the road. We ate it all, stocked the fire and settled in awaiting the rain. The last turned in about 10:30? and the rain started 15 minutes later. Off and on pitter patter.
Coffee time? No rain.  d:b
Alex and I went low. Fin and J went high.
This stream was totally new to Alex. We walked 3? miles downstream before starting to fish back. And we hit some water that was new to me. 5 years, 7+ trips, new water?  :o  Like I said, big drainage.
Risers were slow to come. Sporadic and varied bugs coming off.
Most damage was done on the dropper.

J has better camp pics. Basically, we all showed up within a half an hour of each other and J started dinner. We were beat, managed a good fire, got full bellies, stuff cleaned up, bear bag hung and settled down.
The rain started.  p;-
We moved under the poly tarp, bullshitted for an hour and hit the hay.
Up at dawn, broke it all down and headed up the hill. 3.2 miles down is meh. 3.2 up when you're not in the best of shape?
Big boyz don't cry.
Lots of breaks. We got there.

Cheers gents. The best days on the beast.
 0:0

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Needs more camping gear pics, particularly those items that are petro based.  Hiner hasn't been jacked up lately.

This looks thoroughly enjoyable.

Being a stats geek, I need measurements of those specimans

Big J

Quote from: Onslow on May 06, 2019, 06:42:58 AMNeeds more camping gear pics, particularly those items that are petro based.  Hiner hasn't been jacked up lately.

I'll get my pictures up tomorrow.  Have a few of campsite and packs.  Average size fish was 7 to 8 inches.  A lot of 10" fish.  A handful in the 11" - 12" range.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on May 06, 2019, 06:42:58 AMNeeds more camping gear pics, particularly those items that are petro based.  Hiner hasn't been jacked up lately.

Needs this, needs that.
I stopped stats. Nobody believes my stats anyhow. Nodody seems to care about much, lol.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

22midge

hey we got a bunch of pictures of those yellow belly german trouts in the gallery.....need some pics of the native American painted fish
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Stone-Man

Helluva trip  'c;  and good flicks  bd;0  Hell, we don't see a 9-10 inch brook but once every two years here. Damn great fish Yawl.  This one gets the Stone-Man stamp of approval  :o

JT

Fin

The weather gods treated us exceptionally well; forecast be damned.  It was a good trip with mostly good people...

Woolly Bugger

great trip  -0-  50/50 on the weather... you don't know if you don't go....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Out with the ax and in with the sawzall.....does this mean next trip Doug takes a graphite rod?

BTW- great report and those brookies!

Dougfish

We had an axe, 2 hand saws. Low miles.
The stream was almost big enough to to euro slut with the new graphite. But, no.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Al

Great report. Makes me wish I was younger b';  Oh well - still glad to be here to enjoy to occasional grab ass with you "low rent" people.

Onslow

The best catch of the outing was the yellow lady slippers.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on May 06, 2019, 19:44:47 PMThe best catch of the outing was the yellow lady slippers.
Fortunately or not, I could have bailed out of the vehicle last week and got a shot of those, and Gaywings in the parking lot about half he distance from home. Nature makes the rules. Jake has good pics of open blooms from upstream. What da fuk?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Saw some gaywings while taking a leak on my way to work at Little Dry Fork Wilderness last week.

Glad you mentioned them because I do not recall ever seeing them before, nor do I recall ever hearing about them.

jwgnc

Very tasty trip report.  0:0
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.