Need Guidance: Boo Rod Selection

Started by WRector, December 05, 2008, 21:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRector

Starting to research Boo rods and need to get off on the right foot:

Currently I fish with SageXP 9 ft. 4wt.  I like the fast action of the rod since I have relatively a fast-strong stroke that tends to overpower most medium action rods causing my loop to close too tightly.  Got the 4 wt. cause, well, I like to play the larger fish rather than horse them in.

Am looking to get a boo that is capable of both delicate dry presentations and lugging nymphs into tight accurate conditions that would match my stroke.  Am thinking this will be my spring creek and blue line rod, since I currently do not have anything under 8 feet in length.  I realize this is probably a stretch due to the action of most boo rods.

Am open to any and all guidance that you all can provide.

Also, I have an old bamboo rod that I inherited from my Grandfather.  If I had to guess I would say it is from the 50s.  I would like to restore it, with a few upgrades, depending on a more knowledgable persons opinion of if it is worth the trouble.  Needs a complete set of guides, wrapping, and the real seat replaced.  Needless to say my grandfather was hard on anything he touched.  Do yall know of anybody in the Winston area or reasonably close that could be of service?

Thanks,

WR
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

troutphisher

Try this site.

They have folks who can restore rods, and give you an idea of what it worth.

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

WRector

Quote from: troutphisher on December 06, 2008, 22:33:01 PM
Try this site.

They have folks who can restore rods, and give you an idea of what it worth.

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Thanks Troutphiser, I'll be sure to check those guys out.

streamer

I'va had 2 cane rods re-worked by a man named Buddy Davis, who lives in Apex, N.C.. He does beautiful work that is reasonably priced. Here's his website:

www.davisrods.com

He is a very nice guy who will take a lot of time with you and your rod to get it right and make you happy. He is also very historically knowledgeable about cane rods and their makers, so converstaions with him are interesting and informative.

Remember...We all live downstream.

WRector

Streamer,

Read through his philosophy and it seems to be right in line with mine.  If I had the tools and the time I might consider building one myself, but at this stage in my life this is not an option.

Thanks,

WR

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my biggest questions are what are the processes that you or anybody else went through to select a boo rod.  Did you just order one from say orvis or winston or did you sit down with a rod builder and come up with your own?

Any ideas on what types of tapors work well in this area since a good majority of folks on this board fish with boo rods?

twinbridges

The boo boys who left Winston a couple years ago are nor Sweetgrass Rods and are still in Twin Bridges.  Not cheap but perhaps the "best of the best" and they will absolutely work with you to get the rod that works for you.  If you are out that way they have some you can cast to make sure the action is what you want and then customize accordingly.

These guys have spent their lives absorbed with boo and take it seriously but in good humor.

WRector

They, the Boo Boys, certainly do nice work.  Checked them out a while back.  From what I have heard, they are the best in the business.  Not sure if those kinds of funds are on the table right now. 

Woolly, didn't you put the deposit on a Sweetgrass?  Heard anything yet?

Starting to look at taking one of the build your own classes.  Cost about the same amount of money as a nice boo rod from what I have read!

Thanks for the info Twinbridges!

WRector

Allen,

Thanks for the great info.  The older I get and the more fish I catch, the more I am tending to slow down and starting to look at the intricacies of the sport and the finer detail between the lines.  Reading all the info that you and the others have provided on the board has given me the understanding and the knowledge to be able to do so.  I am certainly not looking for the ego builder in a boo rod, but more of a connection to the roots that started it all. 

Currently, I am sure my cast is too firm for most Boo rods, as you indicated, but my hope is that the rod may teach me a few things along the way.  Which is why building a rod from scratch has certainly peaked my interest, but I still need a basis to start from.   :-\

BTW, you like to take a while to land the biggins? Not worried bout overstressin them I guess.

Play, Yes, using leverage as the main key.  6x tippit will only hold up for so long under the weight of a 20 incher.  I've found that the limber rod helps add increased pressure on the fish without putting direct pressure on the tippit material when the head is thrashing back and forth.  Usually try to get them in as quickly as possible utilizing current and slack water in the eddies.  Sometimes, depending on the fish, there is just not much you can do other than break him off ;)

Red Rider

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: WRector on April 08, 2009, 14:26:18 PM
They, the Boo Boys, certainly do nice work.  Checked them out a while back.  From what I have heard, they are the best in the business.  Not sure if those kinds of funds are on the table right now. 

Woolly, didn't you put the deposit on a Sweetgrass?  Heard anything yet?

Starting to look at taking one of the build your own classes.  Cost about the same amount of money as a nice boo rod from what I have read!

Thanks for the info Twinbridges!

They don't take deposits, just put your name on the list, mine came up last year about the time I was getting the Orvis Limestone rod from Al. With the market in a mess I pulled the plug on the  I talked to them for a while and they said that anytime I wanted on, just to give them a call and they'll put me back up on the front of the list...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!