News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadromous, creakycane and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

I could not make the river clean up and fishing afterward. Sorry mates.
I was able to sneak down Tuesday AM after a early generation.
I was a l little late and missed the falling water, though.  b';

Smoke on the water.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Then fire in the sky as temperature climbed.

I was sweating like a pig by the time I hopped into the cold water. A few fish were rising, even fewer bugs were coming off. Threw a beetle, a hopper, changed the dropper. Caught a couple, but they were not keyed in like they should have been. Switched to the recent go to's even though the mayflies were barely there. Bang!

On an average day, most fish are below the slot. This day, most were within the 10-24" slot. Good bug year = growing fish.
I fished on, but I didn't even cover 200 yds. Came to my stashed brewski and called it quits. Satisfied.

Circus cast. Mad skills.

Hopped out. Caught sight of a better fisherman in the midday smoke.

0:0

Big J

That was good.  I know you needed that outing with everything on your plate as of late. 

benben reincarnated

Doug, get that Old Chub on nitro, it will change your life.

consumnfire1229

I'm going somewhere this weekend.  Period!  Nice work!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Al

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) will be "shock sampling" the trout holding sections of the Smith River starting on Tuesday, August 19th through Thursday August 21st.  They nomally arrive in the area about 10:00 am on the first day and work the specific locations and times around the Philpott generation schedule, much like knowledgeable fishermen who either get behind or ahead of the generation surge. They remain in the area for a full day on Wednesday and usually depart  early afternoon on Thursday.  There are ten or more sample sites. A good way to locate them is ride up and down the easy access points and look for a half dozen or more VDGIF trucks.

The VDGIF Fisheries Biologists encourage participation by volunteers willing to help as they scoop up and process the fish. Don't forget your waders if you want to help with the line of "netters" as they move upstream through each site. If you just want to sit on the bank and watch they don't mind that either. Many of us have participated before and it is definitely an eye opener. It gets pretty humbling when you look at a 100 yard section of stream and think "I could probably catch 2-3 out of there" and then they come up through it with the electro prods and roll up 4-600. There are a couple of sites that normally produce over a 1000.

As the time gets closer and we have a more definitive schedule we will share it with you.

TroutMedic

Al can I get some more info on this. I would love to participate

Al

Quote from: TroutMedic on August 18, 2014, 04:17:39 AM
Al can I get some more info on this. I would love to participate

Here ya go - this direct from VDGIF

Here is our schedule for sampling the Smith River next week if flows stay the same.  Please pass on to your TU group for those who may want to attend.

Day 1:  August 19, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site at 10 AM,  Bassett Mirror Plant 36 47' 14" N by 79 59" 51" W  (travel to the back side of the plant, through the field to the far left corner to the sampling site) sample and then have lunch
2.      Travel to next sampling site,  Bassett Library 36 45' 45" N by 79 59' 45" W
3.      Travel to next sampling site,  Shady view Road 36 44' 15" N by 79 56' 24" W  (by historic church at dead end road)

End of day one sampling.

Day 2: August 20, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Yellow Stairs 36 47' 38" N by 80 01' 03 " W (This is half way up the road going to dam)
2.      Travel to next sampling site, Martinsville Dam 36 39' 35" N by 79 52' 46" W  (Lunch)
3.      Travel to next sampling site, Derelict Bridge 36 44' 15" N by 79 57' 26" W
4.      Travel to next sampling site, Sewage Plant     36 41' 35" N by 79 55' 32" W

End of day two sampling.

Day 3: August 21, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Dam       36 47' 37" N by 80 01' 34" W

Al

Small change to schedule - see email below which just came in from VDGIF - Start at Yellow Steps instead of Mirror Factory on Tuesday.

With all the rain we are having we need to adjust the sampling schedule.  We were planning to meet tomorrow at the Bassett Mirror Plant at 10 AM but the rain may make travel through the field hard.  So we are going to switch sites an start at the yellow stair at 10:00 am.  Please confirm that you received this email and are aware of the change, let others know also.

Thanks and see you tomorrow

Day 1:  August 19, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site 10:00 AM, Yellow Stairs 36 47' 38" N by 80 01' 03 " W

1.      Travel to next sampling site,  Bassett Library 36 45' 45" N by 79 59' 45" W

2.      Travel to next sampling site,  Shady view Road 36 44' 15" N by 79 56' 24" W 

End of day one sampling.

Day 2: August 20, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site at 9 AM,  Bassett Mirror Plant 36 47' 14" N by 79 59" 51" W  (travel to the back side of the plant, through the field to the far left corner to the sampling site)

2.      Travel to next sampling site, Martinsville Dam 36 39' 35" N by 79 52' 46" W  (Lunch)

3.      Travel to next sampling site, Derelict Bridge 36 44' 15" N by 79 57' 26" W

4.      Travel to next sampling site, Sewage Plant     36 41' 35" N by 79 55' 32" W

End of day two sampling.

Day 3: August 21, 2014

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Dam       36 47' 37" N by 80 01' 34" W

TroutMedic

Al

Well I tried to get back with you but you were likely in the middle of the river and did not want to risk dropping your cellphone. Wanted to clue you in on where we removed a lot of fish during recent sampling - likely there are still fish there but not as many as before because several hundred from 3 different sites were relocated downriver.

Big J

I was actual thinking about fishing the smith this next weekend. Too warm for musky still and too warm for brookies. I don't know if I can bring myself to fish the smith though. . .

Dougfish

Get Scott to show you the way.  :P
I'll be in dirty Jersey.  b';

driver

Quote from: Big J on September 01, 2014, 07:10:43 AM
I was actual thinking about fishing the smith this next weekend. Too warm for musky still and too warm for brookies. I don't know if I can bring myself to fish the smith though. . .

Sure is nice to get in that cold water on a hot summer day.  I'm tossing the same idea around as well.

Fin

Quote from: Big J on September 01, 2014, 07:10:43 AM
The Cup awaits your visit to the Smith Big J.  :P

driver

Had the urge to catch some trout Saturday. Decided to make the short run up to the Smith to see if *I could catch a few. The weather report was calling for partly cloudy skies. When usually appeases the brownie gods. I left home about 7:30 I noticed the skyies had  burned off to blue bird skies. I immediately cursed and start thinking of where the closest place to catch some smallies was. But as I got closer to Martinsville the skyies started to look more favorable. I decided to fish a stretch that i have never fished before. Hopped in the foggy river to see what I could do. I didn't see many bugs coming off. Only a few sulfers. And only a couple of rises. The water was pretty cloudy. So I went to my favorite winter time pattern. And on the second drift..

on the third..

I proceded to catch about 10 out of this one hole.

I worked my way up stream and picked up a few more. Did catch one nice wormchunker fodder at the next hole. Decided to head back to the truck and fish some more familiar spots. I couldn't resist the first spot. So I made a few more drifts there. And watched the line stop and lifted up. I immediately knew if was a good fish. Got it to the surface and it made another run and threw the hook. Looked to be about 16 inches. Would have been the biggest brown I have ever caught out of the Smith.

Headed upstream a bit and the bottom fell out. I looked at the radar and it seemed it was going to pour for awhile. So I called it a day. So no food or beer pics.