Smallmouth Newbie Questions?

Started by lostnwilderness, June 06, 2011, 12:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostnwilderness

As the heat jumps up and the cfs in the creeks drop I am looking towards the mighty french broad.  It is 1 mile from the house so that is an added bonus.  For you deciced small mouth pounders, a few questions....

Sujestions on flies for the FB?  You dont have to give away your super special secret black ops fly, just some patterns that should catch me sumthn...

Structures to seek out that hold fish there?  Are yall focusing on timber, dep holes, shollow riffles or ledges?

Any other info that could help a newbie out?

Thanks Guys!!!
0:0
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

blue ridge angler

Bruce,
got your PM..
I fish the FB a good bit..I like to take my yak so I usually paddle from shoal to shoal and anchor the boat then wade to fish..
I find the fish to hold in the same areas that you would find brown trout in, and use that as a rule in most of my smallie fishing..Try focusing on the slower pockets between boulders in the rocky runs..Timber is always a good area to try as well..

As far as flies, small to medium poppers work well in the summer, as do Clousers, Zonkers, WB's, Muddlers, Crayfish patterns, leeches, nymphs, etc,
The fish up there are mainly feeding on bait fish, and crayfish so if you keep that in mind you should be able to get into a few..

Good luck with the hunt..

Woolly Bugger

smallies are thugs waitng to ambush unsuspecting prey. They hang outside of what one would consider normal trout feeding lanes, like thugs in a dark alley. Clousers, Shenk's White Streamers, woolly buggers, Gurgler's, Sneaky Petes, Poppers.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

lostnwilderness

went to HB (i should buy stock) and got me some larger poppers and a couple crayfish patterns...  If this last client will hurry up gonna have to give it a go on the way home tonight.  Thanks Guys!!!!
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

jbarnes19

I've had good success with orange/black clousers for smallies.  On a different note they are also probably my most reliable red drum fly with lots of copper flash.

wncpermit

I am hoping to head FB way tomorrow  . With flows below 1000cfs it is prime time. and with the heat..  I look for them  in eddies next to good runs,  sometimes stacked in about three feet of water IN the runs,  and many of the bigger fish taken near the banks in nasty structure.  Top water should produce to now with pencil poppers, crease flies and others, last year I was letting a white popper dangle downstream while I took a phone call from my wife,, and in mid conversation i had the largest SMB on of the year,, wish I had seen the take,, but sure heard it....   BRA  you down??

blue ridge angler

Quote from: wncpermit on June 07, 2011, 05:38:06 AM
I am hoping to head FB way tomorrow  . With flows below 1000cfs it is prime time. and with the heat..  I look for them  in eddies next to good runs,  sometimes stacked in about three feet of water IN the runs,  and many of the bigger fish taken near the banks in nasty structure.  Top water should produce to now with pencil poppers, crease flies and others, last year I was letting a white popper dangle downstream while I took a phone call from my wife,, and in mid conversation i had the largest SMB on of the year,, wish I had seen the take,, but sure heard it....   BRA  you down??

Yep..Down for sure..Take the boats?

lostnwilderness

Attempt #1 - 3 misses of smallmouth, 3 sunfish