News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not a TR TR

Started by Big J, March 05, 2018, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

The creek doesn't look "fishy," but dang if I haven't been fooled many times before. Never know unless you try! Good on ya for giving your legs and truck a workout.  'c;

Big J

Frick me, ticks in Feb...... Doesn't look like a very fishy stream either.  If its that skinny after all this rain we have had, I'd hate to see it in the summer.  Like Phil said, you don't know unless you go.

Dee-Vo

The branches of this stream in the photos are the beginnings of the headwaters. After at least 3-4 branches converge the stream is only a little larger than the photos. This is why I cut the upper area adventure short and busted ass down to the bottom for that adventure. The only disappointment I experienced here is that I didn't get to see the very large falls that reside on this mountainside. No fish sucks, but I really wanted to see this monster waterfall.

Note - Upon further map investigation of this area, the first branch I found in the woods was actually the extreme upper headwaters of a creek that I wasn't even interested in. Ha! So, two small headwater creeks that close together yesterday. Pretty neat.

Big J

Been working like a dog lately.  Needed to get outdoors.  Doug has been working like a dog remodeling a kitchen.  Told Doug to pick a place and I'll be there.  He of course picked a new stream to me that he got skunked on once already down low but wanted to try and access it higher up from the top.  I didn't even examine a map.  Let Doug do the planning.  Mistake.  We passed the road 3 times, including once after asking a local for directions. We went down the wrong fire road and was met by a gate.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We thought maybe the access was closed off but ended up looking online afterwards and we were down the wrong fire road.  Granted it is squirrelly back there because the correct fire road was actually marked at the road as a private road.  After pissing away the morning I told Doug lets hit a stream I've been reluctant to fish in the past couple years because of the pressure it receives.  It lived up to my reluctance.  Caught a couple dozen but all were 5 inches or smaller.  Caught 1 fish that was maybe 8".  Slow day.

Some pizza I made the day before. Never skimp on the mozz

Only picture worthy fish

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on November 16, 2020, 09:41:12 AM

Been working like a dog lately.  Needed to get outdoors.  Doug has been working like a dog remodeling a kitchen.  Told Doug to pick a place and I'll be there.  He of course picked a new stream to me that he got skunked on once already down low but wanted to try and access it higher up from the top.  I didn't even examine a map.  Let Doug do the planning.  Mistake.  We passed the road 3 times, including once after asking a local for directions. We went down the wrong fire road and was met by a gate.

We thought maybe the access was closed off but ended up looking online afterwards and we were down the wrong fire road.  Granted it is squirrelly back there because the correct fire road was actually marked at the road as a private road.  After pissing away the morning I told Doug lets hit a stream I've been reluctant to fish in the past couple years because of the pressure it receives.  It lived up to my reluctance.  Caught a couple dozen but all were 5 inches or smaller.  Caught 1 fish that was maybe 8".  Slow day.

[

I thought you guys had fancy gps devices and topo maps...  <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Doug had no maps in his truck and no cell service anywhere around where we were. I made zero effort in scouting this access out haha.

itieuglyflies

Good stuff, even if your navigator has issues.

Dougfish

I suck. Delorme did make it into the new truck. Nor did I pin the road on my phone map when I had service. But the road was not signed and there were 2 mail boxes at main road. I'm ready to go back and redeem myself.

Piss poor day all around. The known entity fished shitty. The random stream with the locked gate surrendered one snakey brookie. At least I got the truck muddy.  :Dance

My hero. Unhooking another 4" brookie.

Out with old, in with the new.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Palpable lack of enthusiasm.

I thought about getting out Sunday, but the air started moving in a rather brisk matter.  Another non Winter being predicted, so there is no rush.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on November 16, 2020, 20:10:29 PMPalpable lack of enthusiasm.

I thought about getting out Sunday, but the air started moving in a rather brisk matter.  Another non Winter being predicted, so there is no rush.

I may be wet wading in December...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

The Dude

Quote from: Big J on November 16, 2020, 09:41:12 AM

[

Check out the National Forest Service "Forest Maps" App.  It's free and you can download topo maps for specific national forests and areas.  I will plot your location on your phone's GPS which will work (to varying exent) even without a cellular signal.  It isn't the best, but it is free and I have used it from time to time.  It works best when you have it running while you still have a cellular signal and then move into dead areas than if you try to open it the first time once you are already way out in the boondocks.  It can store your tracks and provide some data, as well (distance traveled, etc).
Again, I don't use it as substitution to map/compass or GPS unit, but as a free app, i have used it as a back-up in certain cases and it did what I needed.  It def takes up phone memory to download maps, but they are broken down into areas of manageable file size and it is easy to add or remove maps, as needed. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

so my local TU chapter is having a November Virtual Fishing Photo Contest with prizes (chapter members only) for Largest Trout, 2nd Largest Trout, Smallest Trout, Most Colorful Trout

So I entered a brook trout photo for most colorful and went fishing yesterday to catch a small trout....
Since the last place I went on Sunday was still running high from the rain, I figured the a more local stream would have subsided to a reasonable level.

I outfitted myself with my gopro with dome for 1/2 in 1/2 out of the water photography.. which I hadn't done in a couple of years and I took a folding saw along to do some trail maintenance.

Well the water was running pretty high and all the usual trout holding spots were swirling turbulences. I fished all the best spots with a dry dropper and found not one fish. I covered a lot of water, picking and choosing my spots and still didn't even see a fish. I did however cut a number of trail blocking rhodos and fallen branches.

I got all the way up to the gorge and thought about going in but it was getting late and I turned around and cut some more branches on the way out.

I like the saw, this was the first time using it. Press lock to open / close. Comfortable handle with good grip. Saw cuts easily on the pull.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I forget to mention that on the way out I ran into a guy walking in at 4:00, I thought he was just out for a hike, then I noticed he was carrying a Tenkara rod  p;-

He asked if I had any "luck", I told him, "of course!"  :P
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 19, 2020, 08:51:05 AMI like the saw, this was the first time using it. Press lock to open / close. Comfortable handle with good grip. Saw cuts easily on the pull.

I purchased this BAHCO Laplander saw back in the summer.  I wonder how the 2 saws compare.  Sweden vs Mexico/Spain?

You cannot view this attachment.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 19, 2020, 09:49:13 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 19, 2020, 08:51:05 AMI like the saw, this was the first time using it. Press lock to open / close. Comfortable handle with good grip. Saw cuts easily on the pull.

I purchased this BAHCO Laplander saw back in the summer.  I wonder how the 2 saws compare.  Sweden vs Mexico/Spain?

Saw off contest?  p;-

from Amazon Q&A

Question: How would this compare to the Corona RS 10" folding pruning saw?

Answer: I am a professional tree pruner, an avid bushcrafter, and a carpenter that likes to use a lot of unmilled/branchwood in my projects. I can go through several quality saw blades in a year. I own both these saws.

There are 3 significant differences between the 2 saws. The Corona has 3" longer stroke, a curved blade, and the teeth are set for cutting green wood. This means they are larger and angled more aggressively. Fantastic for green wood, but it can be harder to get going in cured wood as would be used in firewood, or if you prefer to not cut living trees for shelters and crafting. It still works though. The longer stroke the 3" allows is not negligable. In addition to allowing you to cut through thicker wood, you can cut more efficiently with it. Generally you want to cut with the full length of the saw with every stroke, and more length helps a lot because your arm is changing direction fewer times for the same amount of cutting. That said I like the bahco more than I thought I would and it cuts beautifully in dead wood, and in general. I am trying to see if they make a 10" now!

While pruning for clients I use an 18" saw with greenwood teeth and a corona. When hunting and camping I take the bahco. When doing carpentry I use japanese saws, which also cut on the pull.

There is NO significant advantage to using a curved blade, as in the corona, but there is a disadvantage. All my japanese carpentry saws are strait because it allows more control for accurately placed cuts. If you plan on doing any work where accuracy is a concern, try to buy a strait blade.

They are both quality saws worthy of owning even if the corona is made in Mexico. Buy them both if you have the funds. see less
By BeSatori on January 3, 2018
me -There's a season?