News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sad Bassin

Started by Onslow, June 07, 2020, 19:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Due to long hours at work, and endless work at home in the garden, bees, orchard, my old feet and ankles have been protesting a bit. Most of the easier wades near me are too high, and I had doubts a 6-8 mile jaunt on foot would end well.

After a mostly sleepless night, which happens to be the norm when the moon is full, I simply got up at 4:45 since I was not asleep, and headed down to Chatham county NC.

Almost two years ago, a 20' dam on this river failed. Prior to the dam failing, the backwater was a phenomenal chain pickeral fishery.  A 4.5 pounder was pulled out of there about 6 years ago. Bass up to 6-7 were caught below the dam. I wanted to go up to check things out.

Bear Creek confluence.  I could probably have caught some fish up there if I applied myself.  Drainage size of this trib is about 45 sq. miles.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Site of the removed Woody Dam.

The first mile below the site is completely fubared. Much shallow granular material held back behind the dam has inundated the habitat. I did not realize the whole thing had been removed.  I was hoping there would be some carp below the old dam pool.

After squandering over two hours paddling up to the dam and back, I finally caught the first fish within the site of the bridge where I launched. Caught it on a topwater plug.  Whopper ploppers were sucking butt cheese...caught this one on a Heddon torpedo

This river drains about 210 sq. miles here, but become very wide in spots.  These flat wide areas looked fishy, but were largely disappointing. There were plenty of spotted gars swimming about. While there is some flatwater, it also has some pretty stunning rapids.

Caught a few 12-14 inchers on the intruder.

As I neared 15/501, a series of rapids were encountered, and the river drops about 12' in 1/4 of a mile. Parked the boat, and headed down to take a look. The river here is very treacherous.  Slick jagged rocks all over.

I cut the day short. There is another couple nice pools below the bridge, and is followed by a mile long stretch of rapids wherein the river drops over 30' in a mile that ends at the upper end of White Pine Preserve.  I was not impressed enough to wear myself out rock scrambling.

Dougfish

Now you know.  b';
This has been a most frustrating start of summer, all around.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006