News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto, Woolly Bugger, creakycane, JCB3 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

wind_knot

I wouldn't say I got skunked. I just resorted to trying to see the river from the fishes point of view!! Thank you SRTU and visitors for showing a good time regardless of my catching abilities. It is a river I will visit I between trips to the SoHo (a place where I know how to catch fish, but not necessarily know how to actually fly fish). And Doug, your advice was sound. Well, the part on cleated soles anyway! :laugh:

**Edit**

Maybe I should learn the Allie worm. That and making a less false casts.

Dougfish

Quote from: Feather Chucker on September 17, 2013, 09:06:02 AM
What really sucked is when Fin and I used the same fly and he was behind me catching fish after fish and I wasn't even getting a hit.

I told you about Neil before we started. If he gets ahead of you.......well, you're doomed.
That dude can really fish.

Al

Quote from: wind_knot on September 17, 2013, 09:07:11 AM
Maybe I should learn the Allie worm. That and making a less false casts.

At the risk of taking a lot of ribbing here is my advise on fishing the Smith and any other water - this works most of the time for me - not all the time but most of the time.

1) Start out with something you know catches fish, in my case the Allieworm - it will start you out with confidence.  IMHO most any dark nymph will do. It has more with how you fish and not what you fish. IMHO unless you see a lot of surface activity you are limiting your bent rod opportunities if you insist on fishing a dry fly only.

2) Use an indicator - bushy fly or yarn is best.  Those plastic, cork or paste on jobs make too much of a splash when cast and  sucking noise when picked up.

3) False casting puts the fish down, especially on clear water such as the Smith. Pull out whatever amount of line you're comfortable casting and go with that - if you can't reach the fish, move your feet.

4) Fish the near water first - you know there is a fish at the far bank but there may be one in that shallower water you are about to wade in so you can reach the far bank. Give marginal water a lick or two, then move in. Fish out each cast, even those that do not land exactly where you intended - might be a fish there. Never ceases to amaze me the folks who false cast, set it down and then immediately pick it up with a popping sound and then sit it back down about 6 inches from where they just disturbed the water. They then mutter that the fish are not biting today.

5) Cast above where you think the fish will be and let it sink and drift down to the fish. Quartering casts are best - it keeps the fly line off the fish. Let it drift 3-4 feet beyond the sweet spot then pick it up and do it again. Hit each likely looking spot 3-4 licks then move your feet. You're looking for a fish that wants to eat - not every fish in the river is going to hit.

6) Rod tip low - usually pointing at fly with very little slack line is best. If you have a lot of slack you are going to miss the hit. Indicator goes down or jiggles sideways tighten up the line and sideways hook set. We are not bass fishing here - no need to cross their eyes.

7) Careful wading. Shuffle your feet - do not do a lot of high stepping. Do not stand on boulders, you will slide off and likely take an unexpected bath. Studs/cleats and a wading stick help.

8) If after about a half hour nothing is happening then pull out your fly box 

9) If after a few fly changes and even going back to your "go to" fly you can't figure them out and you really want to catch some fish you should consider moving up or downstream a couple miles. I have done that often enough to know it works. One section is devoid of feeding fish and another has a feeding frenzy going on - that's fishing.

10) I'm sure you have some tips of your own - these are what work for me.

wind_knot

Well Al, you won't get any "ribbing" from me! Thank you very much for the pointers!!

Feather Chucker

Thanks for the help Al. I'll put these hints to work the next time I hit the Smith.

Woolly Bugger

11. if all else fails drink a beer or two!

-0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

wind_knot

This is why Woolly is the Boss!!

Al, thank you again for numbers 1 - 10!! I am sure they'd help anywhere!! Well, except the Allieworm part. ;D

croaker

Quote from: Al on September 17, 2013, 12:15:06 PM4) Fish the near water first - you know there is a fish at the far bank but there may be one in that shallower water you are about to wade in so you can reach the far bank. Give marginal water a lick or two, then move in. Fish out each cast, even those that do not land exactly where you intended - might be a fish there. Never ceases to amaze me the folks who false cast, set it down and then immediately pick it up with a popping sound and then sit it back down about 6 inches from where they just disturbed the water. They then mutter that the fish are not biting today.

Sound advice for any flowing water fishing right there.

Hard to hook a fish if the flys in the air...
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

consumnfire1229

Nice reports from a day of sluggish fishing.  At least we all had a good time!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

5xTippett

I fished Sunday upstream and it was pretty tough.  I caught about 5 and earned everyone of them.  Around 3 I headed down to Bassett to see what was going on.  I made the remarkable discovery that the river was pretty durn stained.  It was too late to head back up so I stopped and fished for an hour or so.  I couldn't see my feet so it made the wading interesting.  I saw more fish moving in the stained water then I had the whole morning upstream.  I ended up catching 7 more if you count the one rainbow.  The last 2 fish I caught were 12 and 14 inches.  That last hour saved the day from being an absolute failure.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

Glad you got into them.  I'll have to meet ya on the Smith sometime this fall. Give me a call next time you head that way and need someone to fish.

tomato can

Did Big J just say he is going to fish the Smith?

gamatt53

5xTippett

The midges were out in full force.  I had an urge to switch rods and fish midges, but I successfully suppressed it.  I would probably caught more fish but I am not in the mood for that yet.

Dougfish

Damn Ben! When do give lessons? 8)    bd;0