News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonephishin'

Boys the Smith is open for business this weekend, no gen on sat/sun, however Monday starting up at 10am thru 10pm, that was all the recording gave us...thru Monday. Maybe we can have some less slick wading in the upper reaches for the weekend. Will be interesting to see how the fishing is after a 24/7 run all week....see ya out there! /'/
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

Woolly Bugger

The Smith has been unfishable for the last couple of weeks as the recent rains forced the dam to run 24/7, but when I checked the flow I realized that they had shut it off this weekend. Saturday was booked, so I made plans to fish the sulfur hatch on Sunday. Despite the weather I took off at 4 and drove the hour and a half to the river. I was pretty much a frog strangler on the drive up, had to take some mphs off the drive to avoid hydroplaning on the highway where the water pooled.  But as I approached my destination the rain slacked off as I expected.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I rigged up the boo in anticipation of a decent sulfur hatch. Walking on down to the river I noticed that Philpott had harvested his first batch of hay. The weather was unsettled and thunder boomed in the distance.  When I got to the river there were bugs in the air and the river was slightly stained. A few fish were rising. I managed to get this little guy on a long drift from the top of the pool all the way around the bend, and as I muttered, "damn" in exasperation the fish hit the fly! A few more fish were rising, but the water was getting muddy and rising a bit. That storm must have dumped a lot of rain up on Town Creek. 

Then the hatch subsided and I thought about leaving, but stayed to see if the evening would bring on another round of sulfurs. The rain came back as the bugs started to come off in good numbers. But the fish weren't looking up through the coffee colored water, but I wasn't ready to give up. I thought that at any moment the fish would begin to rise, I waited until dusk, still nothing happened.  But I enjoyed the afternoon standing in the rain casting dry flies to fish that wouldn't rise. I enjoyed watching the bugs and the birds.

On the walk out I saw this snapper wondering out of place, perhaps she had laid eggs nearby. I'm not too familiar with the habits of turtles.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

M-F, 10AM - 10PM generation.  b';

Dougfish

OK, I'm stupid enough to hit early tomorrow for a few hours.  ;D
-0-

Dougfish

The forecast is looking dicey for the near future, so Big J and I's Saturday plans might be rained washed out. Screw that, I needed a fix. And I had not touched the Smith in a month or more. Out of bed and down the road this morning to get a couple of hours in before the generation.
I wasn't the only one with that idea. One guy was already there waiting on his buddy. They jumped in way below me and another fellow showed up above me. I only fished about 150 feet of river as I worked slowly and changed often to try to find the right pattern for that moment. A sporadic sulphur hatch was coming off and they were mainly taking the emergers. Enthusiastically for a while.

Oops!

Trippy!

The obligatory vegetation shots. Hophornbeam and Multiflora Rose.

Fix satisfied.  V:;

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on June 05, 2013, 13:04:14 PM
The forecast is looking dicey for the near future, so Big J and I's Saturday plans might be rained washed out.

I saw the forecast Doug, I may still get out Saturday, I may not.  My wife Monday night broke her pinky toe (pretty badly too, almost ripped it off) and the fact she has the lowest pain tolerance I have ever seen, I may not be "allowed" out.  I'm busting my tail to finish up this weeks hw though and still trying/wanting to get out Saturday.

I like the shots you've been taking with the new camera.  Glad you could sneak down there before generation.

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on June 05, 2013, 13:18:17 PM
My wife Monday night broke her pinky toe (pretty badly too, almost ripped it off) and the fact she has the lowest pain tolerance I have ever seen, I may not be "allowed" out. 

Flip flop catastrophe?  :o

I'm game for Saturday, buttt........

consumnfire1229

Doug - I'll be back in town Saturday if Big J can't get out.  The weather looks find for Saturday.  I think the issue will be heavy rain on Friday!   b';

Nice work on the Smith, btw!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

From the powerhouse hotline:
10-10 generation today.
12 midnight tonight - 12 midnight June 14. 24/7 generation.

They'll be be some hungry browns after another week of sluicing.

gonephishin'

After the rain we had today it doesn't look good for the next week on the Smith

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gonephishin' on June 13, 2013, 18:57:43 PM
After the rain we had today it doesn't look good for the next week on the Smith

why are they only spinning one wheel at the damn dam?
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

gonephishin'

New schedule.....no generation Sat and Sunday...9am to 9pm Mon thru Friday

gamatt53

Noticed they weren't generating today and decided to take my new pup on his first Smith fishing trip. I hadn't been up to the homeland in a couple months mostly due to the pup and work so it was nice to get out.

He enjoyed the walk through the fields below the mirror plant

Noticed fish rising to sulphurs as soon as we stepped into the water - Tucker noticed too and decided to investigate  b';. After he realized just how cold the water was though he mostly stayed in the shallow stuff behind me and let me work the run.

Didn't take too long to connect with the first brown of the day

They were looking up all afternoon with the sporadic hatch. Had to be hungry after all the recent generation

I would stick a few then hit the field again to let Tucker run and warm up before jumping back in. Once I got to double digits I figured it was time to head back - ended up being a nice way to spend an afternoon.

and tired puppy is a well behaved puppy. We will be back when the generation allows it!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

'c; Good day for you and the pup.