News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Way to go Al!

Cmon Al, yer starting to sound like a Millennial.  Any thing worth doing requires effort.  I know you know the process, but I cannot resist being an asshole :laugh:

Connect camera to desktop

Edit pics using  desktop software, not on the stupid photo hosting site.

Export edited pics to finished photo folder

Drag batch of photos from folder to Imgur. If you don't have an account, get one.

Post TR

Smartphones and fishing don't mix for a multitude of reasons.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on June 09, 2017, 19:13:00 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on June 09, 2017, 09:16:12 AM
Al and I caught about 160 this week.  ;D  8)  0:0

I am sure there is a way to rotate this photo but I can't figure it out - which is one reason I don't post many reports here anymore (Woolly are you listening - this site is not user friendly)

I just added an image resizer mod so you can up load original photos and the board will auto resize them for posting... not tested at this point but go ahead and give it a try... can't help with rotation at this point...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on June 10, 2017, 05:43:49 AM
Any thing worth doing requires effort.

True, but is it worth it.  Do any of us warrant beautiful photos and a Shakespearean interpretation of everyone's fishing expeditions?  I have an excuse; I suck at taking photos and have absolutely no desire to learn to post aesthetic TRs.  Now, if Katy Perry or Dorothy Hamill were members of this forum, I might deem such a fresh effort worthy.  I have just enough testosterone swirling somewhere in my atrophying body to want to impress such shapely creatures, but I've seen most of you and there's not one Dot or Katy in the bunch!

I salute Al for 86ing anyone's request for a photo laden TR. 

PM me if you would like a TR on my latest fishing adventures: catching stockers and red eyes on worms and Joe Flies, and eating them.

I love short hair on a figured gal!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

2017 - 50

Back for the sulfurs, arrived just before 2:00 and there was a jeep and another car in the lot with two guys gearing up. Didn't want them to get to my spot so I suited up in my new Chesties for some deep wading in the slough, not too many bugs and fewer risers but they were lookin up and the dry fly cast in a likely spot would entice a strike. Did that until I was tired of catching 'em, moved on down to more difficult water and challenge my self to catch the little fuckers the were rising under the rhodo on the far bank, the games we play! Waited until dark, there was no spinner fall and it was over by 7:30ish.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

What's wrong with this picture???

rt]
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 51

I'm not going to talk about #51

https://youtu.be/SZ5TeeHEgZY?t=49m43s
Saw this group Saturday evening, worth a listen...

2017 - 52

Four cars in the lot, and a fifth pulled in as I was gearing up, I haven't seen this many anglers on the river in a long long time.  As I walked along the path a  pair of bluebirds tree hopped their way down to the river. I jumped in at my new "high water" spot and realized that I might have high holed a young dude, but the fish were rising in good numbers. I hooked a fish on my "first cast" and proceeded to catch fish after fish. Picking off the targeted risers one by one. I took a beer break and watched the dude downstream who was not having any luck and when he got close enough I shouted out "What are you fishing?" "A Mr. Rapidan, all I have is my brookie box." "Well come on over and I'll give you a sulfur." He waded over and I handed him a couple of comparaduns. Brett is from Roanoke and a transplant from Michigan. I finished my beer and got back to fishing working the risers until the hatch petered out. Then I went for a look see in the woods for mushrooms before sitting down on a riverside fallen tree trunk to drink another beer and listen to the birds and enjoy the moving water.
Then two buff wearing, streamer slinging, big net carrying, fast moving, loud talking, dudes move through the run, focused on the water they didn't even see me until they were past were I was sitting.

After they passed I got off my duff and whacked a few more fish before taking a lunch break back at the car. Off of the 50 degree water and out in the sun hiking across the corn field the heat of the day beat down and as I sat eating my snad I pondered calling it a day or heading back for the evening hatch.

Then the three dudes that I had met on the river came by and I looked at them, then at the only other car in the lot, a Fiat 500, then back at them, and said, "Did all of you ride in that?" "No", the two streamer slingers declared, "we parked up the road about a mile. Turns out they are from Richmond and fish down this way often.

I hiked back down to the river at the bend and sat on the bank waiting for the evening rise. I may have dozed off for a bit, some bugs started popping, not many, a few fish rose, not many. Caught a few, not many. It was pretty much over at 7:30, I stayed until 9:00 just in case...

Saw about a dozen kayakers, first batch was quiet, second batch where whooping and hollering spin fishermen playing loud god-awful rap music, motherf*&%er this and ni*&er that,  which destroyed the tranquility of bird songs and flowing water. Then late in the day, two youngsters floated by in tubes! Holy crap! "Do you know how far it is to the take out?" I asked. "Is there someone behind you?" "Yes" they replied as they drifted around the bend. A canoe with two "adults" came into view? "Aren't those young'uns cold," I asked.  "Yes, they've been complaining and we're going to get them," they said as they paddled by. I hope so, I though.

Tatted up dude with the wrong flies in the background

streamer slinger #1

streamer slinger #2

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

You attract quite the sort. Btw, seeing very little fruit set on paw paws.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutfanatic

@Al, what happened to no pics?  n!n

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on June 12, 2017, 11:09:55 AM

Hey, I didn't post the photo of you almost drowning and trashing your new iPhone :laugh:

The reason I get invited on these little events is I document them for DGIF . You'll see the same or similar photos in upcoming DGIF publications and according to an email I just received from the headquarters in Richmond the entire story has been submitted "to our social media staff for consideration in posting on our social media sites, website or in the Outdoor Report". 

troutfanatic

Quote from: Al on June 12, 2017, 13:05:46 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on June 12, 2017, 11:09:55 AM

Hey, I didn't post the photo of you almost drowning and trashing your new iPhone :laugh:

The reason I get invited on these little events is I document them for DGIF . You'll see the same or similar photos in upcoming DGIF publications and according to an email I just received from the headquarters in Richmond the entire story has been submitted "to our social media staff for consideration in posting on our social media sites, website or in the Outdoor Report". 

I have an iPhone 7 now  n!n

Don't make me start posting my pics. They aren't pretty and may start a riot.

Dougfish

Report from da Corps. Cfs will drop later today to 140-150 for the undetermined future. Big rain events may force a change.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

What crowds? .... Arrived from Richmond at the MP Monday afternoon around 3 pm...no cars, just me. I think this new retired life will be good in many ways.

Finally spotted a few corn sprouts  in the "corn field" on the walk downstream, perhaps  "weedy, lumpy and will I ever get to the end of it field" is a better description.

I found the higher flows interesting but not a problem. With no bugs showing I started off with nymphs and caught a couple. Then it started...a bug here and there followed by trout eager to eat my sulphur imitations. Make the right cast, get a good drift and fish on. This catching went on for a few wonderful hours ......just me on that beautiful river. It was so good I spent the night in Martinsville and returned for a few hours again yesterday morning.....again never saw another person. Just me and the trouts. Only caught six in the am before I had to leave but I left only wanting more. Off to the Soho country for a few days next week.

Woolly Bugger

@itieuglyflies, pm me your SoHo plans... might be able to get over there....

Back to the salt mines.

NO work scheduled for the day so I tied up some ugly sulfur comparisons and then decided to hit the Smith with the new lower flow to "check things out" for a while before heading on down to CTL to pick up my son who is returning from 10 weeks in Europe where his finished up his student teaching ESL in Karlsruhe and then traveling around for a while before ending up visiting relatives in Scotland. Now he's either gong into the peach corp (Zambia) or teaching science somewhere in the U.S.

It was the earliest I had been out, arriving before noon,  and was disjointed by the lack of bugs, I did pick off a few risers before moving on downstream in search of the leroy that i heard splashdown after breaching the surface chasing bugs.

I was cooler in the moring with a good cloud cover which turned into blazing sun in the later afternoon.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 54

Back to puneville on a hot Father's Day. Just me and some, oppps, 7% IPAs from Blue Mountain Brewery, the HopWork, orang-infused IPA; "Light crystal malt with a heavy hand of Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial hops complemented by natural orange flavoring."

Fished for a couple of hours, needed to get back for some evening events, caught a baker's dozen, two pushing 14, but one was a rainbow stogger.
My son brought me back some flies tied up by my Scottish riverkeeper relative who invented the Posh Tosh.

Things that arrive in the mail from Austria and other countries like Florida, Asheville and Oregon.

Sweet...

Story about the flies.

Iain on the River Tweed with an Atlantic from last week.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Son done good.  'c;

Where's the pic of the pushing 14" with the tape measure?  -0-
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on June 19, 2017, 19:40:46 PM
Son done good.  'c;

Where's the pic of the pushing 14" with the tape measure?  -0-

conveniently I had no camera (other than the cell which was in pants pocket under waders and I don't whip it out whilst wading balls deep) 
me -There's a season?