News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger, itieuglyflies, mobcrack, Fennario, canii, creakycane, skimmer718, streamereater_101691, rbphoto and 159 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on April 12, 2017, 09:46:56 AM

I was thinking azteca's. I use to culture them for my dwarf frogs and salamanders. I think I have a buddy who has a starter clutch in fact. Any ideas about how many would need to be introduced before they get going?

Hyalella azteca is certainly cosmopolitan, but if you're going to the effort and gamble the risk, then I'd shoot for one of the larger Gammarus species.  Hyalella ain't that big. 

Big scud = good scud
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

IFStultz

FWIW. Heard a rumor that the dam was fixed but they lost their contract to sell power. Supposedly they may sign a new one in October. You know how rumors go though. Could be BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver

I'd be ok if they left it like it has been.

Btw, when we going for a bote ride?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IFStultz

Quote from: driver on April 13, 2017, 11:49:31 AM
I'd be ok if they left it like it has been.

Btw, when we going for a bote ride?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah I wish they'd just use it to control lake levels and run about 180cfs all the time. May have an empty seat this weekend.

Dougfish

Thats a very interesting rumor.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Thursday trouts

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 36

I was asleep shortly after getting home from the shad trip, and up early the Friday morning and off to work. Got a good handle on the project by two in the afternoon and after taking care of a few other things headed off to the upper river to see what was up. I had a feeling that the sulfurs might be starting up.

There were a few fish rising and bwos, caddis and the occasional sulfur coming off. I changed patterns several times before deciding that twitching a puff daddy was the ticket. I had only two in the box, one got left in a tree and the other one finally just wore out, lost all its puff! They were watching that fly and when it twitched they would run it down moving a foot or more to catch it!

It was a peaceful and grand evening despite the mosquitoes, and it is only going to get better in the coming weeks.
If you go, be sure to have some puff daddies and magic powder stuff, jis say'in, oh an be sure to twitch it....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 37

Worked from 8 till 1, then planned to go fish, but first a stop to tie up some puff daddies.

The biologist want us to cull the punes on the river 'cause there are just too many fish and not enough food for them to grow at a respectable rate.

Flung the fly that was on the rod, first cast.

My happy place in 50 shades of green.

Hendricksons, sulfurs, and midges

Whacked a couple and fried 'em up

Coming into town, I hit Business 40 west, a.k.a. Salem Parkway or old I-40 and just after I got going down the hill just past the 5th street exit where there is a concrete wall dividing east and west lanes, I'm traveling in the right lane at about 65 mph and I see the car up ahead in the left lane veer suddenly into the right lane, and I see a car traveling the wrong direction on the shoulder next to the wall. Holy crap! I was getting ready to call 911 when all sorts of cops were headed down the east bound side ....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Good stuff, Keif. And lovely nature shots, too. Wrong way drivers are one of my biggest fears. One of the reasons I watch whats happening far down the road on highways.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

troutfanatic

I may have to give you a photo credit for that stonefly. Driver already got one for the chub puking brown.

Finals are creeping, keep in the loop on what the picky little shits are eating.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Kudos on keeping and eating a couple, and the grape seed oil.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutfanatic

I thought you might dig that old school stringer he's using.

Woolly Bugger

The Bootleg Bootleg Podcast: That 70's Episode

2017 – 38

Early call this morning for a Project Impact Annual Meeting. got me up at 5:30 and the meeting was over by 10:30. I was on the road to my local pune filled river. I iced up the Yeti with plans to harvest a limit of 6 for da Spork's smoker.  There were two cars in the lot when I arrived one guy came out as I was suiting up. "See any sulfurs?" I inquired as I continued to pull my waders on.  "I don't know any bugs, I was fishing a Mr. Rapidan and a Pheasant Tail. Caught 4 on the top and one on the nymph. What's a sulfur?" he asked.  I was shaking my head to myself while forming a reply, "Little yellow bugs!" I exclaimed. I stashed a few ice cold brews in my vest and headed off to the stream as I wished the other angler a good afternoon.
I was a bit cloudy and I was wondering if the bugs would come off this afternoon. I walked among the trees along the bank searching for morels among the may apples. None were to be found, and when I stepped into the water a bit above my favorite I saw another fisherman working my run. Awe crap, hmmm, he's moving on downstream, I'll just drink a beer and wait for him to get off of my water.

So I sat down and popped open a Ballast Point Grunion Pale Ale (91 BA Score) and watched the water for rising fish and bugs while keeping an eye on the other angler. I think he was swinging a nymph or soft hackle and I didn't see him land a fish. I rinsed the empty beer can with river water and stashed it in my vest as I waded out into stream. Worked the same fly that was still on my line from the other day. Got a fish to rise but it missed the fly and I worked from near to far. Dropped the fly in to the eddy up against the far bank and a trout turned and chased it down as I twitched it. It was about 3 o'clock and the sulfurs were starting to pop off in sparse numbers, but the trouts were apparently looking for them and they couldn't resist the twitched fly. 

I just couldn't bring myself to kill these little jewels..

Probably the best fish of the day...

Nice spot!

After catching close to three dozen of these punes I called it quits and headed on home for the trifecta.

I just love these old trees along the river bank.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Nice. Good on ya for hitting it before it muddies up.  'c;
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Fishbug

My second best Smith fish....not a heavily fished section, not a monster, but definitely out of poon class. Jaw started to kype a bit, but does not show well: