News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

Quotea barrier of sorts was installed some time ago to prevent fish from being sucked out of Philpot

VDGIF and the Corps have both said no such barrier exists.  The biologists speculate that the alewife shad population declined dramatically due to a natural decrease in lake fertility that occurs as the impoundment ages and the rise of the lakes walleye population.   

Al

While I was typing this "Fin" pretty well answered a couple questions - here is what I know (or have heard)

Lots of theories on what happened - no one knows for sure. Probably a combination of causes.

Here is link to the most comprehensive study - it includes a lot of historical data as well  http://www.fishwild.vt.edu/Smith_River/

No one is claiming knowledge of a screen placed in front of the intake to turbines - if it did take place it was many years ago and may have coincided with the introduction of walleyes in the reservoir. One thing we do know is the masses of shad and alewives are not longer present - they are still there but not in the numbers they used to be. Right now it appears the walleyes are experiencing the same fate as browns, ie they have eaten themselves out of house and  home and most are topping out at 16-17 inches. To counter this trend VDGIF is reducing the amount of walleye fry being stocked by half. (Walleye do not spawn in Philpott - it is an artificial fishery)

streamereater_101691

Like him or hate him, Brian Williams told me that there are no such grates or screens, and he has dove the dam and seen the intakes with his very eyes. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just putting it out there since he does make his living using the resource..

That is good to hear though Al about the walleyes. I like to walleye fish philpott for food in the summer. I know exactly what you're talking about the fish being 16-18in. 5 years ago, 2 keepers was a decent day. Now, you're lucky to catch one over 18". I haven't heard about reducing the stocking #'s. The game warden I talk to frequently said they may decrease the size limit to 16" at some point..maybe thats if reduction doesn't have the effects they want.  A few old timers that use to take me walleye fishing do believe they spawn in the lake because "different species of walleye have been introduced" they claim..I have no idea, but those are the tales I've heard

troutfanatic

Ain't but one species of Walleye, but there is Sauger. I don't know if they have Sauger in there or not. I've never fished the lake.

As I am reading these old articles from the 1950s, 60s, 70s, the 'what I don't know" only gets worse.
Did I read correctly that they tried brook trout at one time?

I recall one being obtained during that sampling two Augusts ago. Mudwall said it was probably a trout in the classroom release.

It is definitely a mystery of how this evolved and then sort of dis-evolved over a 60 year period.

troutfanatic

well, that would lead me to believe Sauger are there then  :D
Damn good eating for a freshwater fish.

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on February 15, 2017, 19:02:15 PM
well, that would lead me to believe Sauger are there then  :D
Damn good eating for a freshwater fish.

I helped sample the walleye/sauger about 2 months ago. Placed my hands on 110 total. Very few were determined to be sauger - George Palmer  told me they are not longer stocking them and eventually all will be gone from the lake. e

Like I previously said - they are all topping out at 16-18 inches. Only 1 in 10 exceeded that. There is no plan to reduce the size limit - they hope by reducing the population the size will adjust itself upward. Like anything else that could change but as of right now it is only wishful thinking on the part of fishermen who are frustrated in not being able to catch a keeper size walleye.

troutfanatic

In both cases, whether it's the river or the lake, it seems a prey species is diminished or absent. This is a consequence of introducing species that wouldn't normally be present and then having them share the same food sources.

5xTippett

A couple of October's ago when it flooded so bad, everything that was in the lake washed in the river.  I talked to a man that caught a walleye in his flooded back yard with his bare hands.  When the water dropped he said he found several more dead ones stuck in the mud.  It is going to be interesting when the water gets normal and they can shock again.  I also talked to a man who grew up in Bassett and he told me that before they built the sewage treatment plants in Fieldale that every house on the river had septic systems and the caddis were so thick you had to wear a face mask when they were hatching.

22midge

bet you had to wear a face mask when they were shitting also......
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

troutfanatic

Quote from: 22midge on February 16, 2017, 21:09:34 PM
bet you had to wear a face mask when they were shitting also......

BOOM! 0:0

- i know a crick...

Onslow

Yes, and some of you all need to find another place to fish besides Stinkhorn.  Done seen enough trip reports from there.

Brian, fish the last two miles of xxx.  Beautiful creek, large watershed, and a heck of a lot closer.  Takes a little imagination to get to the water.  I suspect there 90 % chance is trout in there.  When yer at the scenic overlook near the Bluestone river, what one can see there is not the Bluestone, but Camp.

troutfanatic

Quote from: Onslow on February 17, 2017, 05:33:14 AM
Yes, and some of you all need to find another place to fish besides Stinkhorn.  Done seen enough trip reports from there.

Brian, fish the last two miles of Camp Creek.  Beautiful creek, large watershed, and a heck of a lot closer.  Takes a little imagination to get to the water.  I suspect there 90 % chance is trout in there.  When yer at the scenic overlook near the Bluestone river, what one can see there is not the Bluestone, but Camp.

brother I fished the nasty, 3 times in 2016 and not at all this year. I think you are confusing me with a crazy goon I sometimes fish with who blasts his stuff all over that gear chucker forum you guys linger on.

As for WV? I know plenty of water in the state. I just gained access to a motherlode of streams in central WV that is almost all private, but gets no fishing pressure. I also know the tributaries of the upper cheat very well, as I was once in the WV ARNG and drilled at Camp Dawson.

I

Woolly Bugger

2017 - 16

We got back early from a three day R&R trip to Wilmington, the one fly rod that I did pack was never unfurled. We stayed in the historic downtown. Surprised at the number of bars, coffee shops and restaurants and of course with the warm weather the place was hoppin'.  Great food, loved the char-broiled oysters from the Bourbon Street bar. Fantastic sunset dinner on the Riverwalk at The George.
I didn't take many pics, but here are a few

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Send a msg to a FB friend from grade school, we got together for lunch, haven't seen each other in over 50 years! Far out!

The plan was to hit the local with the Spork for the evening rise that I had observed last week. He was waiting on some family thing and I headed up alone. I hiked in to the lower reach while keeping an eye on the water for caddis and risers. It was windy and about fifteen degrees cooler than last weekend and I was worried that there wouldn't be as many caddis around. I waded out to check some rocks were they had been congregating and saw a good number of them fluttering about but not in the huge number as before. I had rigged up at the car, a 12 foot six times leader and elk hair and was determined to catch fish on the surface. But with no risers I sight I thought about switching over, but I watched and waited, there were caddis dapping the surface laying eggs and I saw a few of them floating by, so I stripped off some line and cast up into some likely runs. A trout rose, I was encouraged and continued on. Moving around I spied a rise. I was on it, the first cast was a little short, cast again and watched the fly float on the rippled water, the fish rose, it nose came out of the water as it snatched the fly, I set the hook, it was perfect and I was amazed at the simple beauty of it as if it was the first time. It was a good fish, putting a good bend in the rod and then, nothing, broke off, fuckity fuck fuck! I regrouped and tied on another fly and cast again and got this pune to rise.

I waited and waited and the sun set, the evening chill began to set in as the light left the water, if it was going to happen it was going to be soon. I waited and hoped and then cast blind hoping beyond hope to entice a fish to rise. It just didn't happen. I stayed fifteen minutes past sunset to no avail.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

As usual great photos Woolly.  'c; bd;0 'c; bd;0