News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, JCB3, canii, Fennario, slats, troutboy_II, itieuglyflies, skimmer718 and 147 Guests are viewing this topic.

NCsporksman

Please reporte

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

driver

Yinzer trout for me in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NCsporksman

Gross bro

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

creakycane

Compared to the upper River, Mville down has looked fairly clear all fall. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: creakycane on November 23, 2016, 08:48:30 AM

Just think of all that mud settling out in the upper river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

creakycane

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 23, 2016, 09:12:57 AM
Quote from: creakycane on November 23, 2016, 08:48:30 AM

Just think of all that mud settling out in the upper river

Wandering around the upper river above mirror, there is certainly more silt along the edges than we are used to.  Fluffy stuff. 
Then the water stays pretty turbid all the way to martinsville reservoir (banks through bassett/fdale loaded with the fluffy stuff), and then pretty clear to mildly turbid below mville.  I am hoping much of the silt is being left in Mville reservoir.

ryguy

Friday we made the trek to Danville to celebrate Thanksgiving with my wife's family.  With the great weather I made certain to pack my fishing gear.  I always get up around 5:30, and while the rest of the family sleeps, I can get in a few hours fishing.  This was the case this morning as I left at 6:30 for the Smith.  I've fished here about 6 times a year over the past 4 years, and am by no means an expert.  Usually I don't catch anything, but it's always fun.  I really enjoy this river, and the various sections.  I fished 2 spots below Martinsville, both were clear and not silted over.  Wading did not stir up much silt either.  Temps were in the 20s when I arrived, my guides iced over and  I caught none at the first spot.  Went upstream a few miles and caught 6 total.  Largest was about 12", a personal best on this river.

2 fish I managed to photograph:

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

I crossed over the Smith in several places this morning and the water looks clear. Much better than the last time I looked about 2 weeks ago. Pulled into a couple spots for a closer look and if I'd had my rod I would have given it a try. Looked very wader friendly.

VaTrout

Just left the river.  It's finally CRYSTAL clear down low....and a low as I've seen it in quite some time. 

Al

All you folks who are wondering what is going on with the Smith River Fishery or repairs at Philpott Dam should make an effort to attend the SRTU meeting December 1st, 6:30pm @ Rainia's in uptown Martinsville. Check the club news section for details. http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,14377.msg146345.html#new

ryguy

Hope the river stays clear for awhile.  Visiting again over New Years, and will be fishing.

Woolly Bugger

2016 – 95

I should just stop this nonsense, taking marginal trips is not the way to finish up the year, but I can't help myself. I didn't plan to fish today, but a Doug asked if I was going and we set some plans to fish upper smith stocked water that is strange to me. "Why not", I thought! The weather is going to get nasty tomorrow and I've got other plans for the weekend. Which is good, something normal, drinking, eating good food and canoodling, trumps cold weather fishing any day!

Crosstown rush hour traffic, all these poor sob's headed in to work. I'll just keep going out of town and down the road.

We were greeted by some free range hackle looking for a handout.

Water was up a bit and stained enough to make you think streamers, why not? Go big or go home, right? WTF, punes attacking a streamer? Not making my day...

DSFK

River was pumping and I didn't stay too late... 

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

I guess I'm marginal.  n!n
I didn't want to battle the generation below Martinsville, so I talked WB into going upstream. Yeah, it's a stocked section, but that's not what we were targeting. Just dingy enough to make wading deep interesting. We stuck with streamers too long. Fucking hard heads. I finally switched to a big girdlebug and scored.

More DSFK.

We ended up lower after all. Scored a couple more. One off of a wet fly dropper. Both were triploid looking.
Then I bailed earlier than I wanted to. 5 days into a bad lower gut bug and no bueno.
Slunk off and ruined the KFC bathroom down the road before heading home.

Left the sketchy guy down there.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

'c; Good Job guys. You both can kiss my ass. Fuckin work SUCKED today!

Wonder what the demise of the Red Winged Blackbird was?