As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on August 18, 2016, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 18, 2016, 11:28:56 AM
When the splint comes off in two weeks, I'm headed up on a spring creek road trip with the Spork and Translywader...

He's on speaking terms with you again?  Lucky! I'm no longer FB friends with him  :'(

P.S. young people are stupid

Spork brokered the powwow
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

What the hell is this shit? A damn downpour I'm the morning, fucked my plans!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

On another note., the downstream temps don't look good at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

2016 - 69

Swervinmervin said he was going to hit the Smith on Saturday, so I thought I would join him for a morning of fishing. I attended a memorial service for a friend and previous co-worker who took her own life at the age of 60. The large church was filled to capacity, the service and witnessing was sad and moving. A bunch of old friends and co-workers decided to head to a tavern for an extended wake and that was a good time catching up with old friends. It did however have an impact on my attempt to get to the river early.

When I arrived I noticed that some jerk with VA tags had parked across the drive but fortunately left just enough room to pass. I left a note! Since there was another NC car parked in a proper spot and I figured that was the Swervinmervin's car.

Despite the coolest day in quite a while I wet waded the chilly waters and drank a couple of beers while waiting for something to happen on the river. It was still stained from the rains and the fog was thick, there only a few bugs in the air, mostly tiny BW0s, and no risers to speak of. The sun came out and the fog lifted momentarily, I spied the Mervin up stream and even saw him hook up with a pune. I worked the water, determined to force a rise. Managed to pick off a couple of punes, but the better fish weren't interested in dodgey dry flies. The Mervin popped up down river and I waded on down to meet and chat with him as it was about time to head on back to the ranch to give dad his Saturday bath. We did the meet and great and I offered him a semi-cold brew, which he gladly accepted. I told him about the car blocking the drive, it was his!  We walked back to the cars and he went home to his wife and two month old child. I retrieved my phone from the back and noticed a bunch of missed calls. Fuk, dad was back in the ER! With the road construction it was a two hour drive. You know that every time someone comes in to draw blood or administer medicine they ask the patient for their birthday! Well it was dad's birthday, so he kept getting birthday wishes form all eh doctors, nurses and staff.... They are keeping him for a couple of night for observation and here I thought he was making some good progress with rehab and all, still in a splint, but that comes off in another week.

One fucked up week after another....

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Damn.  The clouds will eventually depart.  Hate the fishing was rather deficient.

Dee-Vo

I like the note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swervinmervin

Fog was really heavy all morning and, as he said, very few fish rising. Hooked up with this fella almost immediately. I had left the streamer in the water when I went to grab something from my bag. If it weren't for dumb luck, not sure I'd have any luck at all.

Had a few fish rising downstream, and a few punes were brought to hand. Most were camera-shy. Almost blew my knee out stepping in between two boulders at one point, so that was fun.

Met the Woolly Bugger! Makes me feel like I almost belong with you shady characters. I believe his second sentence to me was, "Hey did you see the asshole who blocked the drive this morning?" I happily informed him that I was that asshole. Beautiful day, hope for more like it this fall.

driver

WTF. Where did you learn to park?

5xTippett

Fished it for an hour or so Saturday afternoon.  The water was high and cloudy.  Managed to catch a grand total of three and with the water being messed up I was glad to get them.  All were in the slot.  First time I've been up there this summer due to all kind of stuff.  Fished for about 30 minutes Sunday morning and caught one.   Loaded my wife in the car and headed home.

Dougfish

Good stuff, fellers.

Ben - sorry the bitch has been so uncooperative

Merv - it's all in the swing (streamers that is)

Woowie - Sunken City beer? They suck. Great note and pix.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Looks like they bumped the water good today.  Looks like the water temps are pretty good too.  All this rain was a saving grace for lower smith it seems.

JWJ

The Smith gettin some love

Al

driver

You guys get a water temp reading down there?

Al

Quote from: driver on August 26, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
You guys get a water temp reading down there?

Consistent 15c all the way from where we started to the end.

Woolly Bugger

2016 - 70

Well thing are looking up in a way, the old man got his splint off and his elbow has mended up well according to the doctors. Now we will fight the battle of getting him to use that arm and rehab it to regain strength and range of motion. Lots of doctors' visits scheduled. Sundowners continues to be a problem and a bit worrisome as we are afraid he'll attempt to wander out in the night.  Dementia is a strange animal. I sure as hell don't want to ever be in his condition, but it creeps up on you year by year.

Drove up to the river in the middle of the day and fished for a bit, I think it was Sunday, but am now not sure. Hot and humid as hell, water stained as the releases pull more and more detritus from the bottom of the lake. No updates on the damn dam repairs, still hoping it will get done by the end of the year. Lower river temperature spikes are worrisome, but there is not much that can be done.
Very few bugs on the water, a couple of midges here and there, an occasional sulfur, an odd mayfly from time to time, tried to catch one for an ID, something dark and size 10. Oh, there was a rise..... worked that spot for a while, the fish never rose again, but I kept working it and finally got the pune to take the fly.

Paddlers! Two groups of six and nine kayaks interrupted the afternoon. Moved on down a ways and spied a few more risers. Drank the beers that I had brought. It was great to get out on the water even when the fishing is so damn slow.

Finished up the evening at Papa's Pizza before the ride home.
me -There's a season?