News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us, creakycane and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

Sounds like my experience Saturday night.
Except the boo part. You're too cool for school.  'c;

Woolly Bugger

I'd go back again but it's a long drive for an hour if action
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 29, 2014, 19:54:42 PM
QuoteI'd go back again but it's a long drive for an hour if action

amen to that and I have a couple more hours than you, but I bought the damn license. might as well put it to use.

That's what I said.. Woolly's always down to hit the smiff, I started neglecting responsibilities, stopped answering calls, telling myself the cheap gas was worth it, friends got worried, thankfully I'm back at work now but damn I'll be back up there next week whoring myself out to the fickle bitch  p;-

Woolly Bugger

rain last night, clouds this morning, no generation. got out the door early.
wasn't as dark and stormy as I had hoped.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

NCsporksman

holding the record strong for "Old man selfies" ...nice bass

DRIFTS

Damb nice Woolly, can i get me driffter down through said drainage? bd;0
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: DRIFTS on May 30, 2014, 15:10:57 PM
Damb nice Woolly, can i get me driffter down through said drainage? bd;0

Pretty sure you can float from the dam to the sports complex, getting over the falls would be tough, that's where I fish
me -There's a season?

Al

I spent the past weekend at our "get away" place in Bassett VA. We are celebrating sixteen years of ownership this month. It has been a good ride. When we first purchased it we said we'd keep it for at least ten years, then it was maybe five years more. We now say as long as it is still fun we will take it year to year. I bought it because it sits less then a mile from the Smith River. The fishing is good and the deer and turkey hunting, which was an afterthought, is good as well. Another big plus has been several local people who share our passion for the outdoors have become good friends. We joined with many of those people to help clean up the river and enhance the fishery long before such things were in vogue.  Thankfully the value of  economic tourism has caught on and many others have now taken the lead - I'm happy to support them when time and energy permits.

Once cabin chores were out of the way, (That's one of the joys of owning two places - you have two lawns to mow, two roofs to keep in repair, two water systems to keep running, two of everything), I headed to one of my known spots on the river. I've said this before - I don't really have a favorite spot. They are all good and I pick them by how much time I want to devote to fishing.  Most of the river is hemmed in with private property but less then 5% of it is posted. See a spot to park, pull on your waders and go fishing - just don't block a driveway or damage any property on your way to the river.  Getting into and out of the river is sometimes a challenge - the riverbed has eroded one grain of sand at a time over the past 50 years of power generation. This has resulted in 5-6 feet of steep banks before you reach the water. Combine that with underbrush and just getting in and out of the water is problematical.

I was just working some line out when a lone kayak paddler came by. I don't mind sharing the river with them because the more folks utilize the river the more clout we have.

That paddler did not disturb my fishing because on the second cast of the day this stocked rainbow decided the zebra midge I hung underneath my primary fly was too good to pass up.

You can't fish the Smith without catching lots of these little brown trout. Pretty, and they are a challenge for those who only fish delayed harvest water but it would be nice if they all averaged a foot or more in length.

This and a few others of better size were brought to hand before it was time to check on my bride who I'd left back at the cabin.

The following morning I decided to beat the weekend crowd by getting up early but found this fellow already had another of my good sections of the river staked out.

He muttered a few loud choice words and flew off when I pulled this decent brown out right in front of him.

Morning number three of my long weekend (They are all long weekends when you're retired ;D) found me at a different section of the river where I had some prime water all to myself.

This was probably my best fish of the weekend. He certainly fell in the protected slot of 10-24 inches. I was pleased to catch him but I was really looking for a nice rainbow to take home as a baking fish.

Turns out I caught a dozen fish that morning but only one was a rainbow. This small brown came to the top for my size ten stimulator which I use as an indicator.  I guess he thought if he could catch and swallow that huge fly he would not have to eat again for a week. 

There ya have it. We had a good weekend. Got the lawn mowed, did some fishing, spread a little money around on the local economy and had good friends over for some venison and delightful conversation. Life don't get much better than that.

Woolly Bugger

Nice get away report. I had some paddlers come down last week late in the evening. We fished the spinner fall last night and I got a newb onto the fish. She hooked three and landed two.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I was filling up the growler for my pending float with Rhody, when I ran into a friend. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, and when she found out that I was floating the river, she said, "I want to go, I need an adventure!" I sat down and told her that I would take her up to the Smith some evening for the spinner fall and put her on some rising trout. That evening I checked the upcoming generation schedule and told her that Monday or Tuesday would be the evenings to go this week as the generation was stopping at 6 pm.

I picked her up at Krankies at 5:30, she was drinking a Pisgah Ale and brought along three more. We suited up at the Mirror Plant in the heat of the afternoon and hiked the field down to the falling water of the chilly river. The water was still up and no fish were rising but there was a decent flotilla of yellow bugs cruising down the currents. So we drank a beer and waited. I demoed casting technique and then she gave it a try, too much wrist but eventually she began to get the fly out into the current and she began to spot the rising fish. I worked one up against the bank, and hooked it, much to her amazement, on the third cast. She went back to the bank for another beer and brought one out to me in the middle of the river where we waited for the magic to start. A king fisher flew down stream and chirped out its territorial warning. Fish began to rise, I stashed the beer in my vest, and got her to cast upstream from the rise and bam, "Oh my god, I caught one." She played it and stripped in the line so that I could net her first fish ever caught! That was 8:40 pm, six minutes past sunset, light fading fast. High fives and toasts ensued, and she cast again and again getting another bigger brown to hit the Puff Daddy, but, after a short fight it self-released. Somewhere in there, the fly got birdnested and I had to tie on another fly, a rusty spinner. She cast that and bam another fish on at 9:00, the last fish of the evening, we did fish on for a few more minutes, I don't think she wanted to stop, but it was way too dark to fish, and we stumbled to the bank in the darkness.

First fish ever! On the puff daddy @ 8:40 pm

Second fish on a rusty spinner @ 9:00 pm

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 03, 2014, 10:57:51 AM

I was filling up the growler for my pending float with Rhody, when I ran into a friend. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, and when she found out that I was floating the river, she said, "I want to go, I need an adventure!" I sat down and told her that I would take her up to the Smith some evening for the spinner fall and put her on some rising trout. That evening I checked the upcoming generation schedule and told her that Monday or Tuesday would be the evenings to go this week as the generation was stopping at 6 pm.

I picked her up at Krankies at 5:30, ..................  A bunch more of mushy, sappy stuff!
Well ain't that sweet!!!

I am damned sure this potential malfeasance should be reported to the BRFFF OPR (Office of Professional Responsibility).  Well scribed commandments have been broken, unwritten contractual covenants have been wrecked, tossed to the wind with what appears to be libido-driven disregard. 

Surely there are others here that have flouted the laws, specifically those encompassing the Fly Angling Anti-Title IX, but there have been few that have so blatantly defied the code with publically displayed photos and text.

An official review will be scheduled!

Other than that, great job!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

DRIFTS

Way to go Woolly! You da man!  V:;
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Al

Bring her to SRTU Fish w/a Friend this Saturday - Meet at Mirror Plant @ 9 am. I'm sure one of the Smith River Regulars would love to show her his favorite hole. If she is real adventurous, and she must be to go fishing with Woolly, we may invite her to the Grayson Highlands outing 20-22 June.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on June 03, 2014, 11:54:55 AM
Bring her to SRTU Fish w/a Friend this Saturday - Meet at Mirror Plant @ 9 am. I'm sure one of the Smith River Regulars would love to show her his favorite hole. If she is real adventurous, and she must be to go fishing with Woolly, we may invite her to the Grayson Highlands outing 20-22 June.

That's it; all of you randy old coots are going on report. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on June 03, 2014, 11:54:55 AM

Not a chance Al, not a chance,
me -There's a season?