News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

albiedanged

Started by walt, September 06, 2007, 07:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

it's about time to start the chatter.....

any one planning on chasin' albies down at harkers this year?

if all goes well, i'll be down thar nov 7-12

it will be nice to git on the ocean again....

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

That's on the list of things to do, don't know if it will be this year on not... never been, would love to bust my albi cherry!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

lepomis_mcro

yea i'll be back after them big bluegills... nov 15th-16th
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

flatlander

Going to try to get down there a few times this year.

phg

You've pretty much got to have a boat to get out to them. o-o  That's what's kept me from trying. 

flatlander

PHG,
Have you ever taken the ferry out to the spit from Harker's?  They don't seem to come inside like they used to, but they do show up and you can catch them from the shore.  You definitely won't catch them in  numbers like you will from a boat, but it's pretty rewarding do it from the beach.  I try to go at least once every year and take the ferry over.  Camping out there is nice too.

walt

shanktrout (where is that loon anyway?) used to camp and fish on the spit..... can't recall how his luck went.

imho, a boat is the way to go if you really want a decent chance at locating and catching some.....
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

flatlander

I agree boats are definitely the way to go if you want to up the odds.  If you don't though, the ferry is a cheaper alternative to hiring a guide. Catching them from the beach is a bit like bow hunting compared to rifle hunting.  It used to be that you would get acres of fish inside the hook.  I haven't seen that in recent years.  I guess all the boat traffic runs them out of Barden's.  It's pretty cool to have a school of them crash bait on the beach around you...I've had them swim through my legs out there.

walt

that has to be way cool.
— Cormac McCarthy

Peddler

I had every intention of going but something else came up unexpectedly... STEELHEAD!  >:D

The bight is good if the fish are in. If not, trout, flounder and even the rogue red should keep you entertained.

'One from the beach is worth ten from a boat' as Horsely's been known to say!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

flatlander

Quote from: Peddler on September 13, 2007, 21:31:18 PM
'One from the beach is worth ten from a boat' as Horsely's been known to say!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Several year's ago I camped on the spit for 4 days in November.  There were a couple of clubs from up North of hard core albie fishermen who were staying at the Fishing Center and Calico Jack's and taking the ferry over each morning.  There were also 2 guys from London who had come all the way over just to fish the spit.  The place had a festival atmosphere and it was fun to talk to everybody during the lulls.  Some of those Yankees really knew their stuff and could absolutely throw a shooting head a mile.

I asked some of them why they didn't hire a guide and go after them in a boat.  They looked at me like I had just suggested they cast a nymph downstream on a chalk stream.  To them, catching them from the beach was the only way to do it.

flyinhigh

Quote from: Malcolm Robertson on September 14, 2007, 07:37:43 AMTo them, catching them from the beach was the only way to do it.

I would have to agree with this statement. Not much challenge in catching them from a boat. For those of you that like to try from the surf, I would suggest Beaufort Inlet on outgoing tide fishing from the west end of Shackleford Banks.  ;)

flatlander

Quote from: flyinhigh on September 18, 2007, 14:41:09 PM
Quote from: Malcolm Robertson on September 14, 2007, 07:37:43 AMTo them, catching them from the beach was the only way to do it.

I would have to agree with this statement. Not much challenge in catching them from a boat. For those of you that like to try from the surf, I would suggest Beaufort Inlet on outgoing tide fishing from the west end of Shackleford Banks.  ;)

I've heard there's a good rip there.  Do you take a ferry from Beaufort? 

phg

Hadn't been watching this thread for a few days.

No, I've never taken the ferry out to Cape Lookout.  When I go down there I'm usually traveling solo.  Since I don't know where to go, what to take, etc., I've been hesitant to try that on my own.  Kind of like going solo backpacking when you've never been before, a recipe for disaster.

Shank did go out there several times, and always reported having a good time, but I don't think he ever connected with an albi from shore.  I pretty sure he did finally manage to catch an albie on a flyrod, but there seems to have been a boat involved.  Since he quit the army and went home to NH, we hadn't seen much of him.  He probably went and got married....

JT goes out there, for a week, every fall, but I don't think he's looking for albi's.  October is just prime fishing in the salt.  Unfortunately, since I hooked up with this crowd several years ago, and got back into trout fishing, I've only been saltwater fishing a couple of times.  We were talking, once, of having a saltwater PFF, but nothing came of it.

flatlander

PHG,
I wouldn't be daunted going it alone.  There usually is a crew of people taking the ferry over for the day from the Harker's Island Fishing Center or Calico Jack's. If the fish are there, you'll get shots.  I've never "killed" it from the beach, but I've caught up to 4 in a day on the spit and seen a few guys catch as many as 6 in a day.