News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The bum showed up again at lunch time as I was getting ready leave. The carp weren't cooperating for me or the bum. But I went back in the late afternoon and had several reasonable shots at some tailers, but the ingnored the fly that I dragged and droppen onto thier dinner plate. I saw that I caught a grass carp at the pond one year ago, so there is still hope to get back on the board before the odd deminish as fall turns to winter.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Update from the pond

They whacked the shrubbery along the bank  d:b

You cannot view this attachment.

But there is no wind to blow the damn leaves

CArp will remain safe today
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

The development of the old Hanes Property continues.. they cleared out the woods around the pond to "improve" the view... cutting down many trees, but they did drag out the huge fallen oak that was in the pond, there is still one more oak in the pond on the SECCA property, but the banks have been cleared to open up the lower part of the pond. Hoping they don't fence it off or post it......

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

They have cleared out all of the woods and eliminated the kudzu from this end of the pond and destroyed all evidence of the old trail. I don't think it will be too long from now when they erect a fence and post the land, but I hope it's not until I catch a few carp who like to hang out on this end of the pond.

One think of concern, for the developers, is the state of repair concerning the dam, which imho is in need of repair!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Got a little excited today when I walked down to the pond and saw some mud plumes!
Carp season is about to get underway!  d:b
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I'm way behind on the carp count. I've gone about a dozen times. Mostly in the afternoon. There is always potential. They haunt me. I've had a few shots. They see me coming and bolt. Today I went earlier. I cast to cruisers with no luck. One fish was feeding on the bank. The fly dropped. The fish ate. The knot on the leader gave way. I'll be back. 
me -There's a season?

Michael Toris

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 09, 2021, 11:59:47 AMI'm way behind on the carp count. I've gone about a dozen times. Mostly in the afternoon. There is always potential. They haunt me. I've had a few shots. They see me coming and bolt. Today I went earlier. I cast to cruisers with no luck. One fish was feeding on the bank. The fly dropped. The fish ate. The knot on the leader gave way. I'll be back. 

What knot you running?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: WMT on April 09, 2021, 15:33:13 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 09, 2021, 11:59:47 AMI'm way behind on the carp count. I've gone about a dozen times. Mostly in the afternoon. There is always potential. They haunt me. I've had a few shots. They see me coming and bolt. Today I went earlier. I cast to cruisers with no luck. One fish was feeding on the bank. The fly dropped. The fish ate. The knot on the leader gave way. I'll be back. 

What knot you running?

This was an old blood knot that stepped down from thick to thin, I should have put a new leader on but I was lazy. My bad on that one.  I cursed and then apologized to the ladies up on the parterre.
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

You had me at parterre.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Michael Toris

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 09, 2021, 15:36:10 PM
Quote from: WMT on April 09, 2021, 15:33:13 PM

What knot you running?

This was an old blood knot that stepped down from thick to thin, I should have put a new leader on but I was lazy. My bad on that one.  I cursed and then apologized to the ladies up on the parterre.

I've had more blood knots fail than any other knot. I prefer double uni for carp leaders; give that one a go.

Woolly Bugger

I've been to the pond maybe 20 times this year, had one break off a while back, most of the time I see them cruising around but very seldom feeding on the bank. I 've only had a handful of shots at them. The visibility in the pond is dismal, I think this is because of all the clearing along the bank, and there is no retention fence. I was thinking about giving up on this mudhole, but today I had multiple shots at three or four fish, but it's impossible to see their head in the dingy water. I switched over to a chartreuse mop fly with hopes of seeing it, but it disappeared after dropping only six inches. Fish on the bank, cast, drag drop... wait, wait, fish is moving, set the hook! zinnnng went the line across the water. Carp numero uno for 2021!

me -There's a season?

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I keep going back to the pond to stroll the banks in hope of finding feeding carps.

The other day I had a good shot but was carp blocked

Today I was staring at a mud plume for quite a while before I could see the tail.. drag and drop

2021 #2

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

the pond carp are in full on sex crazy mode conjugating in an orgy of mud lust, paying no attention to flies or fisherman.

me -There's a season?