News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Passing it on

Started by JD, July 19, 2015, 15:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Sometimes you take some one new fishing. I have been wanting to get my cousin on a trout stream for quite some time. None of his parents or grandparents are outdoors people, so it has been up to my brother and I to get him out. Distance separated us while I was in North Carolina. Our schedules have prohibited fishing since then. This week our schedules lined up.

We met at waffle house, which is an ok start. From there we rode up the mountain together. He had never been trout fishing, and so we talked about reading water, the types of food trout eat, and the amount of stealth often necessary to catch them. We arrive at the stream with enthusiasm. He wanted to to fly fish. This would be his 2nd time fly fishing. He spent some time in the trees, but who hasn't?

I choose this stream because it is where I cut my teeth in high school. When I was his age I would come up here with a group of friends. Sometimes we caught a few. More often than I'd care to admit we got lost. This is where I caught my first "limit." This is where I caught my first trout on a fly rod. It's also where I caught my first fish on a dry fly. I wanted to pass on a bit of a place that was special to me even if it was mostly a stocker stream.

I'll be danged if he didn't catch one. Let he who has not posted a picture of a stocker rainbow cast the first stone. But, it was his first trout ever, and probably his 2nd fish on a fly rod.

We had reached a good stopping point so we took a break for lunch. I made the decision to head to a nearby gem. Above a waterfall the stream becomes a native brookie stream. This is one of my favorite places in Georgia. I don't mind posting a pic of the waterfall since none of yall fish this area. I consider the trip to be a success. Numbers of fish caught does not always define success. We spent time on a creek. We saw some cool stuff. It was a good day. Sorry for the blurry pics, it was foggy.

Dougfish

'c; Solid intentions and effort.

Yallerhammer

Hell yeah, good deal-he'll be hooked now. Some pretty water, and ain't a thing wrong with catching some stockers. They're fun. Nice speck, too. Considerably bigger than any I caught yesterday.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Nice job.

Waffle House gives me the shits. Grease galore.

Woolly Bugger

Cool, but lose that white shirt next time
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JD

Quote from: wademaster on July 19, 2015, 19:30:56 PM
Nice job.

I'm tellin ya. I approach waffle house with caution. In the words of Jim Gaffigan, "imagine a truck stop bathroom that serves waffles." The biscuits work for me sometimes though. I always order a couple to go for a stream side lunch.

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 19, 2015, 19:47:01 PM
Cool, but lose that white shirt next time

I'd also have him not be wearing freakin Sperrys, but no one listens to me haha.

Dougfish

Quote from: wademaster on July 19, 2015, 19:30:56 PM
Nice job.

And Hardees.
I see where this thread is going.

Dee-Vo

I love Hardee's breakfast.

Big J

Hardee's and Waffle House are my jam. McDonalds and Taco Bell breakfast on the other hand mess me up.

Dee-Vo

Taco Bell breakfast. Love that shit too.

Dougfish

Powdered eggs = shits.

Told you where we were going.  8)

J, I make the best breakfast sammie. Put your order in.

TylerDurden

anyone who eats the Taco Bell breakfast is one brave mf.
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Woolly Bugger

Bogangles country ham biscuits for me!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Biscuitville is The Shit. Wish we had them up here. Every time I'm in central NC/VA, I wear out the Biscuitville.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ptfranze

Taco bell breakfast will give you the shits real quick, bojangles cajun filet for me in the morning-but you have to pour some honey mustard on it