Wild stream, today with Jetti and Woolly

Started by troutphisher, March 11, 2007, 20:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

We fished one of my favorite wild streams today, Woolly, Jetti and I.
This is a free stone stream in the mountains of western NC.
The weather could not have been better, the air temps warmed up to about 65 degs. The sun was out most of the afternoon. The water was very clear, and was about 46 degs.

We started the day hiking up river to a few good pools and pocket water.
It was tough fishing conditions, with the water very clear, and the sun shining bright. It was 9:00am when we started and the bugs were just starting. We saw some small bwo's coming off around 10:30, and fished both nymphs and drys. The fish were very quick to rise, and they didn't take long looks. You needed to time the hook set quickly or they were gone.

I turned over some rocks to get a look at the insects, they were every where, and doing fine. The nymphs were actively crawling, and some were ready to hatch, with wings buds very pronounced. We even saw some caddis larva, and little yellow stone nymphs. The stream is very healthy and the insects were showing it. I was glad to see this.

Around 1:00pm a hatch of grey baetis fly's was on, they were large for this time of year, about size 14, but we didn't see any fish rising.
Jetti and I changed flies to a 16 Adams, and had a few fish rise for them.
Rainbows, and browns. Jetti managed to get a brook from an eddy pool near a boulder. This was difficult casting and mending to keep the fly in the eddy current, but Jetti was on, and hooked up with the Brook.

It was a good day to be out on the water, and it was even better to see all the insects, and know the stream is doing well, and is healthy.

Here are a few pics of the stream and bugs.

Note: Keith out fished us today, hate to admit it, but it was a fact  :'(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Epeorus, probably pleuralis. Two tails, plain colored wings which vary from pale to dark gray. Irregular heart-shaped band on femur, medium size hind wings. Body size 8-12mm.

Nice photo of a Quill Gordon Dun 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Thanks for showing me some new water, what a great stream. I had a blast and although the fishing wasn't exactly easy the beautiful surroundings made the whole tripe worth while.

Here's a couple of pics.... more tomorrow...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

First fish came on a Royal Coachman, the other four that I caught took a prince nymph.

Here's the bow i caught on the surface and a small brown that took the prince..
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

New feature: GPS coordinates $5.00!   :o ;D :-*

Cash, Paypal, or Flies!

NOT!
me -There's a season?

Gofisher

Good job gents! Nice looking water to fish. Thanks for the education on the bug TM. I actually learned something worthwhile from you.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

peter p

Only $5, you are cheap.  Looks like a great day. 
Peter

troutphisher

Here are a few more pictures of the insects we saw while fishing/exploring.

One of these was very interesting to see, it was a little yellow stone fly nymph. The body was about 1/4" in length (excluding tail and antennae).
I have never seen one in this stage in the stream before, so it was very intriguing to snap a few pics.

Some of the other nymph's were interesting also. I found one with the wing buds very pronounced, as if it was ready to hatch. It was a large dark nymph, about 1/2" long, with ventricles along it's abdomen. I put some water in the palm of my hand, to actually see them, like feathers in the wind, they were articulating in the small amount of water that surrounded the insect.

Then I a caddis, that had created a tee-pee style cocoon, or encasement.
When I pulled the pupae from the housing, I was surprised to see how long it actually was, again I placed some water in my palm, to simulate is water environment. The caddis stretched out completely and was close to 3/4" in length. The head color was interesting, it was a light rust color, including the legs. I have never seen one of this color before, it was very interesting.

Here are the pics below.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

OK after a couple of PMs Phish and I agree the first two photos aren't a  little yellow stonefly. I originally though it may have been a clinger mayfly nymph. But, after looking at the link Phish sent me I'm pretty sure he has correctly ID it.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/487

Peltoperlidae is common in NC
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/sfly/nc/toc.htm#peltoperli

Still think the dark nymph may be a Quill Gordon. The dark wing pads, size, and type of gills match up pretty good.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

lepomis_mcro

what ever they are.. thems some nice looking bugs, and the water aint half bad looking either
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

calebB

TM, Only main mayfly clingers w/ two tails is eporus. ;)

Trout Chaser

Nice report and pictures Gents'  It sure looks like a great day on the stream 0--0

TC