how often do you fish dh waters?

Started by walt, October 04, 2006, 07:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

how often do you fish dh waters per year?

zero
5 (18.5%)
1-3 times a year
9 (33.3%)
4-10 times a year
6 (22.2%)
11+ times a year
7 (25.9%)
what's dh?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

walt

out of curiosity, i was wonderin' how ya'll feel about fishing the delayed harvest waters in nc.

when i first started chasin' trout 10 years ago.... dh was the game, lotsa fish and lotsa fun. over the years my enthusiasm has waned to the point that i think last year i fished stone mountain one day and haven't even been to a dh this year.

it's not that i think dh is a bad thing, i think it's great, especially for beginners and for those who are unable to fish wild waters. i was just thinkin' it might be more of a quality vs. quantity issue for me..... dunno.

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

I try and avoid them at all cost, but sometime you just need a fix and they are the closest streams to me.....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutjedi

It seems to me that DH waters are most likely to have beer bottles, corn cans, and dirty diapers strewn along the banks.  I'll take my chances in the wild streams just to get away from the 'scenery' on DH's

troutphisher

To much good water around. I don't fish DH waters
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

trout_boy_II

With a cabin on Bryson Mountain off N. Mills River Rd., it is too convenient not to take advantage of.  And if you know where to go, the crowds are small or non existant, yet there are still stocked fish.  Yeah, you can run into rude folks from time to time, and the fish are easier to catch right after stocking, but, as I learned from one of my kids' books a long time ago, "fish is fish". 

BTW, I still think the N. Mills is one of the best looking streams around if you get away from the campgrounds, so I disagree with "most likely to have beer bottles, corn cans, and dirty diapers strewn along the banks" comment.  Since I also fish it after the harvest, I guess I put my money where my mouth is.

As for quality - if you mean fish colors, action, etc. I  agree there is a difference.  But I do use DH to practice casts, mending, getting better drifts, figuring the proper spot in the water column, etc. that I then apply on the wild streams.  I'm still learning, so I need all the practice I can get.

Notice I didn't mention the "s" word even once!   :-X

phg

I've got nothing against DH, it's just too far to go more often.  After driving 3 hours to get to the general area, what's another 20 minutes to find less crowded conditions?  I have hit a few of he DH streams over the years, and if you go with the right attitude, it's not bad.

Stone Mt. is probably the worst for garbage in the creek, though.  It gets pretty nasty at times.

peter p

As I am learning more and more about WNC fishing, I'd say I fish DH waters more then I care to.  But, I can't always expect my better 1/2 hike to fish.    Or worse yet, hike and hope there are fish.  So, the DH waters are a good choice for us once in a while.  But, I am holding out hope that she will soon want to chase more wild fish as she always comments about the colors of the fish we catch and how they are more challenging.  Now, if I can get her to catch something over 6 inches, she will be hooked on the wild streams.  (no pun intended)
Peter

shanktrout

I got beat up for stating the way I feel about DHz on one of the other boards awhile back. I just like the idea of wild fish...just seems right.

lepomis_mcro

i love all fish.. if it will take a fly then im there. heck i will fish to chubs if nothing else is round

i have never met a fish i didnt like
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

charlotte_boy

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 04, 2006, 20:38:01 PM
i love all fish.. if it will take a fly then im there. heck i will fish to chubs if nothing else is round

Catching fish ;D is kind of like orgasms ... never really had a bad one. ;D

Gofisher

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 04, 2006, 20:38:01 PM

Gotta agree with ya there blue gill, 100%! Even the goldfish my daughter won at the fair 4 years ago is a likeable little fella... ;)
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Powderkeg

I am a regular user of the DH.  The beauty for me is having a place close to home (Mitchell is 45 mins out) that allows me to take my busy 14 y/o son fishing or newbie friends from work during the week.  We try to get other trips when we can, but the DH allows us to go on short half day or less outings together and to most likely catch fish.  As a teenager, my son  is very interested in the art of FFing, but he does enjoy his increased odds of catching fish.  As for the newbies, it is great way to introduce them to the sport.  Having a schedule that allows for weekday fishing with your friends is nice and allows for a little more enjoyment on the stream.  It is generally less crowded and the crowds continue to decrease as does the temperatures.  I am glad the state has seen fit to at least resurrect a stream like the Mitchell with trout using this system.  With it being so low in the hills, I know it would not be a trout stream of any other fashion.  Another benefit I think it brings is keeping the less appreciative fishermen off of the stream at least for awhile until the summer harvest begins.  Then I do not go there. 

I really enjoy any time I can spend with my son fishing.  The DH allows a little more of that time for us.

Just some thoughts.

Eddie

kylemc

I have a DH stream 15 mins from the house.My son and I hit weekdays after school and work.I usually don't fish spend time with him.By the way it is only one of 3 in the state of TN.

Kyle

Gofisher

Kyle, what are the three in TN? I'm assuming they are in East TN....
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Russ

I think the Tellico has DH water on it