As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

bear season, oh my!

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 15, 2020, 08:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

October 14, 2020 #45

Gas $2.09

I've been looking at maps and decided to go to the middle section of Wilson Creek above Edgemont. There was an unmarked trail down Laurel Mountain Branch. There used to be a small pull-off and a tree had a small, ½ " x 3" white paper with a quote about fishing which marked the trail head.

As I drove along Wilson Creek I noticed that the bear hunters were out in droves. I stopped a chatted with them, asking about their luck. Some had dogs that had been working a bear but they lost it, others had no luck at all. There were a lot of fisherman out on the DH water.

As I approached the trailhead I noticed that there was yet another group of hunters parked in a new, to me, parking lot and an official forest service sign for trail 264. The one hunter at the vehicles indicated that the rest of the group was on the way out after losing track of a bear that had crossed the high water of the creek.  I drove on.  Thought about taking the trail to walnut bottom creek which also now has a forest service sign, but decided to go on up the road to where the lower road crosses upper Wilson Creek at 2800 feet. I was thinking I might run into rainbows and brookies. The upper road crossed the creek at 3500. I took a serious look at Little Wilson Creek but in the end opted for the bigger water.

Activated the Spot while gearing up. Got a message almost immediately on my phone.

FRM:noreply@findmespot.com
MSG:Woolly Bu..
ll=36.07465,-81.79535
Everything is A-OK, just checking in! Starting my trip now.

This is the text that was also sent to my contacts.

There was plenty of water flowing in the creek and it was clear as glass, the sky was cloudless and I began my trek up the creek. Went with the hopper dropper and was surprised not to get any lovin at all. I kept working up the creek which is fairly slow going especially when stopping to take photos of everything, the water, the fall colors, it was beautiful day. Even in "bomb proof" pools I didn't even see a fish. Well now I was getting miffed, rigged up a new leader and continued on. Finally getting a fish to rise to a small stimi. I was thinking rainbow but was surprised to see it was a brown up at 2904'. I continued on catching only more browns. Shoulda taken the higher road, oh well there is always next time.
Only went about a half mile up the creek and only 100' in elevation, but it seemed like much more. Pressed the "custom" message button on the Spot and opened a can of barley pop. The phone confirmed that it was sent. I was surprised that I was getting an AT&T cell signal (one bar) at this location.

There was now a truck parked across the way with a women sitting in the passenger side looking at her phone, I had put up all my gear and almost finished my beer before she finally looked up and saw me. She got out and we spoke for a while. Her husband was fishing downstream. Fly fishing was on his bucket list, they are from Morehead City, he is almost 69 and they are semi-retired from a marine service co.
When I got home I checked my spot account and saw that during my two and a half hour trek the Spot had been able to send 10 tracking pings including start and stop.

Here's the photo dump....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Damn rock stackers...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Getting after it.  V:;

The purpose of getting the Spot to fish more small streams solo?

Onslow

I fished that section a couple years ago for about an hour. Same results.  The pools are like empty bowls with no place for the fish to hide.  Also fished Little Wilson.  All I could catch were 5 inch brookies.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on October 15, 2020, 08:53:17 AMGetting after it.  V:;

The purpose of getting the Spot to fish more small streams solo?

some people worry about the bugger when he's out and about; Believe it of Not!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

The Dude

My wife said she saw a bear as big as a cow in the I-40 median while driving through the Pigeon River Gorge last night.  I guess that is one way to hide from the dogs and hunting parties.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutboy_II

Great report!  And the seeing light in the trees in your photos was spectacular.  Excellent photography!  Thanks, as always, for sharing.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dougfish

Noice. Beautiful.
Beer hunters talk to hippies. Huh?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on October 15, 2020, 18:09:18 PMNoice. Beautiful.
Bear hunters talk to hippies. Huh?

fixed... and I was a bit surprised, just ask about their dogs and they won't shut up... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

NCsporksman

Nice....that's the only place I've seen a bear not from my car

Phil

I haven't fished that stretch of Wilson's in many years -- fish were mighty sparse even 15 years ago. Great pics as always, and ya didn't get skunked!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on October 15, 2020, 18:09:18 PMNoice. Beautiful.
Beer hunters talk to hippies. Huh?

Only hippies or swells with a "purty mouth".

Comforting I am sure knowing the Spot Geni 4 kept you from being sodomized.  Even if unfortunate, you could have marked the exact location.

Wonderful photos you take.  Kudos!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Looks like a fine day to be out in the woods!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: The Dude on October 15, 2020, 12:38:38 PMMy wife said she saw a bear as big as a cow in the I-40 median while driving through the Pigeon River Gorge last night.  I guess that is one way to hide from the dogs and hunting parties.
I live right at the upper end of the gorge. We lost a couple dogs on 40 during bear races back in the day.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Grannyknot

Woolly, I tried to put my son on a few fish in that area Friday.
Lots of pretty water, but very few places for them fish to hide.  Water was gin clear as well.  Saw lots of shadows darting across the pools. 
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Grannyknot on October 20, 2020, 08:26:34 AMWoolly, I tried to put my son on a few fish in that area Friday.
Lots of pretty water, but very few places for them fish to hide.  Water was gin clear as well.  Saw lots of shadows darting across the pools. 

yeah it was slim pickings for sure.. but damn if it ain't pretty...
me -There's a season?