Main Menu

Explorin' TR

Started by The Dude, September 11, 2011, 17:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

Saturday was spent along the coast chasing this

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Drugs make the best music.

Sunday meant higher elevations, smaller rods, and smaller quarry.  That didn't make it any less of an enjoyable experience for me.  I decided I would explore an area that I've been wanting to check out for a long time, but never have.  I fished 3 different streams in 2 different drainages.  Well, they weren't really streams -  more like springs.  My goal was to catch a trout as high as possible.

I caught a nice 6.5-incher at a pretty high elevation on the first drainage I hit up.  I tried to hold the fish and GPS in one hand, and take a photo with the other and the fish flopped back into the water before I could snap the pic, so it will just have to be taken on faith.  Notice that the stream doesn't exist on Garmin's database (nor on USGS or Nat Geo).  At 5662', this was the highest that I caught one.  I actually saw one somewhere near the 5720' contour line, but I spooked it and didn't catch or see any others beyond that.

It looks like a bear might have had a bit too much fiber in its diet here. 

Not sure why all the fiber when it looks like there is bountiful protein in the area for bears to feast on.

For some reason the fish were not feeding much and were hunkered down under rocks.  Nevertheless there was some minimal mayfly activity and I still managed a few fish on dry flies.  For the most part, the stream was too tight to get into a casting position without spooking fish, though.

Went to the second stream and caught a few more.  Then seemingly out of nowhere, this little trickle tumbled over a rock face making a nice waterfall and pool below.  The trickle certainly looked a lot bigger here, but it was a true anomaly.  Well, as is often the case at the base of a waterfall, there was an alpha fish residing at the bottom.  I would have guessed the fish to be 10", but the tape measure proved it to be exactly 9".  Still, at well over 5500', and on the teeny headwater spring, it was still a nice prize for me.

The view of the waterfall from the top.

On to the third area to explore.  I did manage a few here, but it was pretty sparse and of the three, this one petered out pretty quickly.  Garmin actually did show a blueline there, but listed it merely as "Intermittent Stream."

On the way home coming down the mountain I came across this

From the looks of it, I'd say a corvette and a suby WRX were racing up the mountain and having trouble holding the inside on some of those hairpin turns.  The Vette was in the lead and got clipped coming around the corner.  Notice the truck in the back right corner that hit the vette.  It was an airgas tanker.  That could have been real ugly.  I hope those two douchebags racing get hit with stiff fines.  They ought to have their licenses revoked.  If it was my car that got hit when they crossed the double lines, I would have slit that dude's throat on the spot.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Sweet lookin' streams you found there.  Glad they had fish too.  Nice work.    'c;

tattdflythrower

diggin'  the waterfall brookie gotta love those pools you know there something big in there n you find em <-;:
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Holmes

damn dude, another fine tr -0-

Transylwader

'c; Epic Dude, just epic!!! -0-

brownhunter

Very fine report once again. Love the pictures and the brookies were mighty fine indeed  bd;0
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Gofisher

Holy crap! Traffic for tuneage, unmapped trickles, HIGH mountain trouts, and a car crash! One of the best trip reports I've seen in years. Way to go after em Dude.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Peddler

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

kylemc

Great report- the char on a dry rock.

The Dude

Quote from: kylemc on September 13, 2011, 10:27:31 AM
Great report- the char on a dry rock.

Maybe I took it home and ate it?   >:D

Nah, truth be told, I plucked it out of the water in that little pool without it ever getting to fight the rod, so it was really fresh when I got the camera out for the photo.  It flopped out of my hand onto the ground and in the interest of getting it back into the water as quickly as possible as well as not handling it any more than I needed to, (and seeing as how it was already on the rocks), I just put my pole down on the rock and leaned the fish over and took the pic and got 'er back into the water.  I feel like the fish was fine when released.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

kylemc

Holmes

The Jesus

Don't fuck with The Jesus >:D

The Dude

I see you've rolled your way into the semis.  Laughable, man.

bobbyg

Very good pictorial essay.

Enjoyed it!