last Thursday and today

Started by benben, September 27, 2011, 18:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

I did some scouting after work last Thursday and today.  My weekends are and have been shot from now until the first weekend of November so weekday fishing for a while it has to be.  I chose last Thursday and today specifically hoping to gain a little advantage from the weather fronts we keep getting every couple days that are dropping a little rain.  My timing must be bad, because things just aren't picking up like I'd expect them to be doing, at least on my usual weekday water. 

I've fished both creeks before, just not these sections and they've given up some good sized fish and even better sheer numbers.   Just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hoping for the best.

On another note, I tied some new lazy-man's "furled" leaders using the hand-twist method and mono line.  I've never casted one until today and found they are pretty awesome on roll casts, which I do a lot of on smaller streams.  I tried some full casting and didn't do as well, might be something I need to re-learn using those types of leaders, or maybe full casts with them just suck. 

On to the fruits of my labor, which I worked too damn hard for not much of nothing.  Guess I need to quit being lazy and start going back to my 'gold mines'.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

pretty cool sunset on the way home today...couldn't get a good shot to the west of me though, so this will have to do

best Marzen/Oktoberfest in my mind, hands down (and I generally don't like their beers)

Transylwader

Quote from: benben on September 27, 2011, 18:49:19 PMJust going to keep doing what I'm doing and hoping for the best.
Vanilla my friend, you gotto break the chains of gravity and fly! Those bluelines are no text book, there is no manual to succeeding on them, dominate them, or they will own you! Read every inch of water and it will give up some interesting facts...
P.S. Those mines are habitat to the most anal of all fishes, the brookie. May wanna shift your game to lower elevations. The climate/seasons above 5000ft are about 6 weeks ahead of the game. Just ma two saints ;)

FoulHook

I'm gonna bring you a real furled leader next time we can get together for fishing.  They are awesome.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: FoulHook on September 27, 2011, 19:33:23 PM
I'm gonna bring you a real furled leader next time we can get together for fishing.  They are awesome.

Most definitely.  When I break out the woodworking stuff again I plan to make a jig so I can make some real ones. 

The ones I made were products of my boredom this past weekend when I was sick and then got tired of making flies and didn't feel like making a proper jig.

FoulHook

I'm planning a new jig. My current one is pretty bulky to work with. Hopefully I can get it made pretty soon.

Holmes

Nice to be on the water aint it! Good shit man ;D

The Jesus

benben reincarnated

Quote from: FoulHook on September 28, 2011, 18:29:17 PM
I'm planning a new jig. My current one is pretty bulky to work with. Hopefully I can get it made pretty soon.

Was thinking of making one that I can break-down into smaller sections for storage, I have some ideas in my mind to try out.  Either way the thing won't break the bank, the dowels will cost me more than the lumber.

Nail on the the head, The Jesus.  I still think you are a major asshat, but you are right about those two trips, definitely laughable.  Although I do go fishing, so at the end of the day I don't give a fuck if I got boots on the ground and my line wet.

Holmes

Every day on the water can't always be stellar. My motto is, at least I got out!

Ey Jesus, you know buddy drugs? ;D

Grannyknot

Good stuff Ben.
I'm not a big fan of the duck rabbit stuff either, but i'll give their oct fest a try.
Thanks for sharing.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

robspe7370

The Duck Rabbit SchwartzBier is awesome. Nice TR too... 'c;
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

FoulHook

Quote from: benben on September 29, 2011, 06:50:31 AM
Quote from: FoulHook on September 28, 2011, 18:29:17 PM

Was thinking of making one that I can break-down into smaller sections for storage, I have some ideas in my mind to try out.  Either way the thing won't break the bank, the dowels will cost me more than the lumber.

We'll have to bounce some ideas around. I've made 2 jigs so far, and after each one I come up with ways I want to improve it.