High country brook trout

Started by troutphisher, May 05, 2010, 21:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the high country of western NC today. I haven't fished this stream in ten years. I looked at my notes, and the last time I visited this stream was 99. Normally this stream has very little water in it, and very small brook trout.
With the recent rains I knew the water would up, so I gave it a shot. This stream is around 4K ft elevation and very remote. It was a long hike in just to get to the confluence, than I fished it up stream for another 2 miles or so.

At this elevation, the season is about a month behind. most of the trees are just leafing out, and wild flowers are just starting to bloom. I saw lots of Trillium and few other rare plants. One of them I don't see to often, Jack in the Pulpit. This plant is very interesting looking and I was glad to find it doing well in several small patches.
Trout Lilly was just starting to bloom, and even a few Azalea's in the mix.

The air temperature was perfect for hiking around 60, and it never really got much higher than that. The water was running high and crystal clear.

I could see some caddis fluttering, and some bwo along with midges and a few quill Gordan's. I decided on the size 18 cinnamon caddis, that has worked well in the past, and seeing caddis in the air was a good sign.

I fished a plunge pool, and cast the fly up near the white bubble water, and watched the drift, it moved about 2 feet, and got slammed by a nice fat brook trout.
The colors on these fish are just perfect, red dots with blue halos, and speckled in yellow. Their fins were ablaze with orange black and white stripes.

I was glad to see them in suck good shape, and the insect life looked healthy too.
I turn over a few rocks during the course of the day, and was happy to see all sorts of nymphs and caddis cases.

The winter took its toll on the tress however. Most of them has torn and ragged limbs from the ice storms, and I imagine thats why the road has been closed to get to the high mountains.

I had a blast all day long picking pockets and slow pools, and stayed with the caddis all day. I tried several different colors and versions all size 18 and they all produced fish.

It was one of those rare days, when everything clicks, and the fish were on.

Here are some pic's of the day
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

How them little troutlets taste? After my day that really makes me feel better, even thought you suck ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Not bad, with a little salt and butter mind you, but you ruin their colors.... :'(

fishhunterphil

major suck.  those are beautiful pictures, seriously healthy looking brookies ;hb 

blue ridge angler

flynhokies

yeah buddy! great fish, i love watching them attack caddis  ;hb
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

flip

nice pics of the fish. I also liked the flower pics.

kylemc

tbird4

Discomidge

Suck...nice find on all da wildflowers.

Kim 8)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Trout Chaser

Great report.  Love the pic's 

TC

troutphisher

Quote from: Discomidge on May 06, 2010, 15:13:40 PM
Suck...nice find on all da wildflowers.

Kim 8)

Ya I was lucky to find the Jacks. I have not seen them in pairs before, but this patch I found had most of them paired up, Have you seen this before?

Woolly Bugger

i hear the berris of the jack are a great aphrodisiac, just rub 'em all over your balls  >:D

jis sayin..

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 06, 2010, 17:37:24 PM
i hear the berris of the jack are a great aphrodisiac, just rub 'em all over your balls  >:D

jis sayin..

Thats what this guy did........