News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

streamereater_101691

Town was littered with people. Trash everywhere. Spoons and eggs in the trees.

Woolly Bugger

#23-17  Windy, very windy and sunny in the 50s, did i mention the wind...

Got off to a late start and arrived to find a multitude of vehicles in the lot. A father and son were gearing up and I went to work getting ready without saying hello. Despite them having a good head start, I managed to beat them out of the lot. I headed to the lower part of the field and when I looked back, I saw them approaching Sally's.

I headed on down the trail, stopping along the way to check for rising fish and scan the surface of the water for hatching bugs. None were found. It was well after 1 o'clock and the sun was high casting harsh shadows on the forest floor. I passed the left handed pool and saw a pair of anglers down below. I wasn't sure which way they were fishing, the women was sitting on the bank dressed in knit hat, her blond hair blowing in the wind stood out like a strike indicator, and the man way casting a bobber rig down below. I stopped and asked which way they were fishing. She turned to answer, she looked older than I had initially guessed from the back of her head, "We're moving down, slowly down stream. Very slowly".

I said that I would jump in on down a ways. I left the Trestle Pool for them and headed for the lower pool, half way across the river I saw a trout bro nymphing pocket water and catching a few dinks. I was now sandwiched between anglers, stuck on marginal water.  I swung flies for a while but the fish weren't interested. I got out and headed to a spot to drink beer and wait for some surface action.

I was upstream of the couple, looking at a deep pool, I rigged up some nymphs and got ready to wade across to the pool. The couple abandoned the pool and dissappeared into the woods. I assume they hiked out on the tracks as I didn't see them pass on the trail.
I was enjoying the last of my beer when I saw a flycraft coming down. I hopped in to protect my pool. I fought the wind and was frustrated as it blew harder and harder. The floatyboat passed behind me and they anchored up in the now vacant pool below. They flogged the water for a while and finally left.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I decided to take some pictures and have another beer.

I went back to fishing and stayed till about seven, I only caught one pune and had a half dozen grabs on the soft hackle.
The parking lot had emptied out and I was the last to leave. Weekends, arggg....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 18, 2023, 08:06:17 AMTown was littered with people. Trash everywhere. Spoons and eggs in the trees.

Yeah, I saw the stocking truck go by the other day!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

JCB3

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on March 18, 2023, 08:06:17 AMTown was littered with people. Trash everywhere. Spoons and eggs in the trees.

Funny you mentioned trash. I reached out to 2 different people who "organize" clean ups if I could make a post on FBook to try & recruit any kayakers or people who fish the smith, no reply. I got the feeling I was somewhat encroaching on them. All I wanted to do was try get more hands to help clean up the river. That they float or fish in. I'll just do my tiny part & move along. 🤷🏻�♂️
It does amaze me how much litter & trash even on the upper, tires, wheel chair wheels, keystone light cans, etc.

Dougfish

Quote from: JCB3 on March 19, 2023, 16:11:44 PMFunny you mentioned trash. I reached out to 2 different people who "organize" clean ups if I could make a post on FBook to try & recruit any kayakers or people who fish the smith, no reply. I got the feeling I was somewhat encroaching on them. All I wanted to do was try get more hands to help clean up the river. That they float or fish in. I'll just do my tiny part & move along. 🤷🏻�♂️
It does amaze me how much litter & trash even on the upper, tires, wheel chair wheels, keystone light cans, etc.

SRTU has 4 cleanups/year.  smithrivertu@gmail.com to get on the email list.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

JCB3

Quote from: Dougfish on March 19, 2023, 17:00:46 PM
Quote from: JCB3 on March 19, 2023, 16:11:44 PMFunny you mentioned trash. I reached out to 2 different people who "organize" clean ups if I could make a post on FBook to try & recruit any kayakers or people who fish the smith, no reply. I got the feeling I was somewhat encroaching on them. All I wanted to do was try get more hands to help clean up the river. That they float or fish in. I'll just do my tiny part & move along. 🤷🏻�♂️

I reached out to the people that organize it. Wouldn't that be the SRTU...? I offered to help rally some troops, it was basically a waste of my time & theirs too. It's funny how other watersheds get a lot of participation From their anglers & the smith gets maybe 4. Obviously what they are doing, isn't working too well. Never mind trying to help.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: JCB3 on March 19, 2023, 17:47:55 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on March 19, 2023, 17:00:46 PM

I reached out to the people that organize it. Wouldn't that be the SRTU...? I offered to help rally some troops, it was basically a waste of my time & theirs too. It's funny how other watersheds get a lot of participation From their anglers & the smith gets maybe 4. Obviously what they are doing, isn't working too well. Never mind trying to help.

Don't take it personally. Both SRTU and DRBA do as much as they can with what they have. Not too long ago there were 20-50 volunteers per clean up from all users. It gets pretty psychologically draining when one week progress is made and by the next week it's just as bad or worse. If you have a hefty group of people then show up on the day that the clean ups happen. They are publicized on both fb pages and calendars pretty well.

JCB3

Who's fishing the Smith tomorrow?
3-21-23...?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#23-18 Gas $2.94 62 degrees and sunny.

You cannot view this attachment.

so the photo memory thing showed me that I caught a bunch of these on the Uwharrie river back in 2016. That was a fluke of a day, just happened to find them in a spawning run. They were stacked up on a riffle at a low water bridge. I had to go back and see if I could find them again. No such luck. The Mayapples are popping up in force and I saw a number of Trillium too. There was a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers calling back and forth across the river as Kingfishers patrolled the water.

I threw a clouser for a bit, I didn't gear up and wade and left after 20 minutes or so and headed back up north to the Smith.

On the way there I stopped to check out a trail on Lake Brant. I heard Red Winged Balckbirds and Fish Crows on a brisk mile walk.

One car in the lot, guy was fishing the Rhodo slick as I went in at Sally's. There were bugs in the air and on the water, but I only saw one fish rise. I swung soft hackles anyway and caught nothing.

I worked my way down to the usual spot and swung flies and caught a few punes, but they weren't really looking up and I didn't want to play the nymphing game. I did see a sulfur!

I stayed 'till about 7 and split.

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Cloudy, slight chance of a mid day shower.
Giddy up.

It was colder than I thought. Gloves, vest and stocking cap were donned.

Nothing was happening on top.
Swung up five and the rain started.
I backed up to a semi large leaning tree, cracked a beer and started a podcast.
An hour later, it had picked up the pace and I was getting wet.

The rain jacket was where? In the truck....
I had bagged up the generous amount of trash Keith had left for me.
Which included a lot of heavy glass.
Hiked out two bags, stashed my rod and little cooler near the river and headed the rest of the way to the lot.

Cranked up the heater and started on lunch.
WB pulled in next to me.
He suited up as I finished dining.
Rain jacket equipped, we started back in.
I jumped in a good run and fish started rising.
I picked up five more as Keith fished the next run down.
I climbed out and found him down at one of my favs.
Fish stated rising out in front of us and he wadded out and immediately caught a decent fish.

I watched him wack a few more and headed down to re-work the mornings run.
I coerced a few more little guys to bite before climbing out.
We drank another beer and waited for the fish to start up again.
No bueno. Finished the beers, solved no problems of the world and hiked out.
I toted the last bag. Thanks Keith.

Cookie cutter baker's dozen trout today.

We had been listening to a heavy lift helicopter up towards the dam/lake for a half hour.
While rounding the corner of the field, I saw a Chinook rise up with a boat? slung under it and slowly fly off.  :o

:cheers

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

That is a pretty fish.  I bet the bass will be firing up by the weekend.  I've had some good days, but I cannot tell you where on the U.

Woolly Bugger

#23-19 mid 50s - rain turning to partly cloudy

Doug was warming up and having lunch in his truck when I pulled into the lot.
I geared up and donned my rain jacket and we headed out across the field. It was only after we split up with Doug dropping in below turtle creek that I realized I forget my vest. I had a soft hackle on the rod and three more on a fly patch, I was good to go, but without a net, which I don't really need to land the fish as much as to hold the fish while getting the phone camera ready.

Woodpecker did a number on this tree.

I started out at the left handers pool and caught a few fish. There was a good looking fish that was hitting midges on the surface but didn't even look at my fly. I would have switched up if I had my vest.

I moved on down and  took a barley pop break while watching risers, Doug came down and offered advice as I caught a few fish.

I worked the run for a while and he left to find some fish in the water below.

I took a break and watched doug catch some punes.

And then it shut down completely and it was time to call it a day.

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

QuoteGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Glad you boys could sneak off and drink some beer :cheers Who does your nails Doug? :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski