News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited Wokeness

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 08, 2023, 15:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

San Francisco to air Black reparations plan, $5M per person

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A controversial draft reparations proposal that includes a $5 million lump-sum payment for each eligible Black person could make San Francisco the first major U.S. city to fund reparations, though it faces steep financial headwinds and blistering criticism from conservatives.

Tuesday's meeting of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors will include a presentation by San Francisco's African American Reparations Advisory Committee, which released its draft report in December. The $5 million-per-person payment is among more than 100 recommendations ranging from offering grants to buy and maintain homes to exempting Black businesses from paying taxes.

Supervisors can vote to adopt all, none or some of the recommendations and can change them. Several board members have expressed concerns over the potential hit the lump-sum payment and other options would have on the city budget, already facing a shortfall.

https://apnews.com/article/san-francisco-black-reparations-5-million-36899f7974c751950a8ce0e444f86189

I'm identifying as a resident of San Francisco and a decedent of a slave, jis say'in --
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I'm moving to SF and I identify as a black woman. My name is Shemeca. :laugh: My pronouns is she, dem, day d:b
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Phil

Damn, I wish I was a rich old one-eyed black man instead of a poor old one-eyed whitey.

Phil

I will state, however, that I'm getting really tired of the term "woke." It's become a catch-all phrase to denigrate every conceivable issue that conservatives object to -- similar to describing everyone not in agreement with them as a "snowflake."

trout-r-us

As the old saying goes, "Payback's a Bitch."
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Phil on March 14, 2023, 18:35:21 PMI will state, however, that I'm getting really tired of the term "woke." It's become a catch-all phrase to degrade every conceivable issue that conservatives object to -- similar to describing everyone not in agreement with them as a "snowflake."

I agree with you Phil. I don't like racist, right-wing extremist, alt-right, or fascists either. I think you can disagree without name calling or using derogator phrases. Except for TBII, he deserves it.  :laugh:  :Dance
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I had no idea of the meaning of woke.  It seems the word has been around since 1938, and is somehow associated with the words of Lead Belly. 

There are changes in word meanings.   Semantic shift is the term. 

Shit fire, I learned something from this investigation, proof that you can sometimes discover new goodies when following bullshit. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-the-meanings-of-words-change-1692666#:~:text=1%20Broadening%20Also%20known%20as%20generalization%20or%20extension%2C,inclusive.%20...%203%20Amelioration%20...%204%20Pejoration%20
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

Quote from: Phil on March 14, 2023, 18:35:21 PMI will state, however, that I'm getting really tired of the term "woke." It's become a catch-all phrase to denigrate every conceivable issue that conservatives object to -- similar to describing everyone not in agreement with them as a "snowflake."

I've always viewed "woke" and "snowflake" as complimentary labels targeting folks that are informed, aware, sympathetic and caring for other humans, animals, and all of nature.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 15, 2023, 09:13:53 AMI had no idea of the meaning of woke.  It seems the word has been around since 1938, and is somehow associated with the words of Lead Belly. 

There are changes in word meanings.  Semantic shift is the term. 

Shit fire, I learned something from this investigation, proof that you can sometimes discover new goodies when following bullshit. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-the-meanings-of-words-change-1692666#:~:text=1%20Broadening%20Also%20known%20as%20generalization%20or%20extension%2C,inclusive.%20...%203%20Amelioration%20...%204%20Pejoration%20

I love listing to old recordings of Robert Johnson, Huddie, Robert Burnsides, and Howling Wolf.The love of their music has taken me some interesting places.
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on March 15, 2023, 09:15:00 AMI've always viewed "woke" and "snowflake" as complimentary labels targeting folks that are informed, aware, sympathetic and caring for other humans, animals, and all of nature.

You mean liberals, correct?  I could not lay off such a slow pitch.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

National Audubon Society, pressured to remove slave-owning naturalist's name, keeps it
The prominent bird conservation group weighed — but decided against — shedding its ties to John James Audubon, a famed naturalist who was also an unabashed enslaver

The National Audubon Society, one of the country's best-known bird conservation organizations, decided in a closed-door vote this week to retain the name of John James Audubon, famed 19th-century naturalist and wildlife illustrator who was also an unabashed enslaver.

The move comes even as about half-a-dozen of the organization's regional chapters have pledged to scrub his name from their titles, part of a broader reckoning over the U.S. environmental movement's history of entrenched racism.

The National Audubon Society's 27-person board of directors voted to retain its current name during a Zoom meeting on Monday after more than a year of deliberating and gathering feedback from both members and outsiders. Susan Bell, chair of the board, declined to provide a breakdown of the final vote.

"The name has come to represent not one person, but a broader love of birds and nature," Bell said in a phone interview. "And yet we must reckon with the racist legacy of John James Audubon, the man."

https://wapo.st/3mXb6da
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 15, 2023, 00:05:20 AM
Quote from: Phil on March 14, 2023, 18:35:21 PMI will state, however, that I'm getting really tired of the term "woke." It's become a catch-all phrase to degrade every conceivable issue that conservatives object to -- similar to describing everyone not in agreement with them as a "snowflake."

I agree with you Phil. I don't like racist, right-wing extremist, alt-right, or fascists either. I think you can disagree without name calling or using derogator phrases. Except for TBII, he deserves it.  :laugh:  :Dance

Tranny? Is that you?  Are you back?  :drum  <-;:  :P
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 15, 2023, 00:05:20 AMI don't like racist, right-wing extremist, alt-right, or fascists either.

You mean conservatives, correct?  I could not lay off such a slow pitch.   
― Heraclitus