News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited climate change

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 25, 2022, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 14, 2023, 08:05:53 AMRETREAT IN RODANTHE
Along three blocks in a North Carolina beach town, severe erosion is upending life, forcing hard choices and offering a glimpse of the dilemmas other coastal communities will face

RODANTHE, N.C. — Early last year, a house crumbled into the sea in this small Outer Banks community, home to some of the most rapid rates of erosion and sea level rise on the East Coast.

Not long after, another house fell. And then another.

Wave after wave, the ocean had clawed away at the beach until the stilted homes finally gave way. The collapses spread debris — and anxiety — for more than a dozen miles along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. A video that captured one house surrendering to the surf in May went viral, bringing national attention to the urgency of the problem along this scenic stretch of coast.

See and read the full multi-media story at the Washington Post https://wapo.st/3JAGfLt

IMHO they should have never allowed the outerbanks to be (over)developed in the first place.

Careful Bossman. Not sure if you can legally spread such propaganda. Better to just stick your head in the sand, or up your ass as our state reps do.

"North Carolina Literally Passed Laws Against Science on Sea-Level Rises"

https://www.sciencealert.com/you-can-t-outlaw-hurricanes-how-north-carolina-turned-its-back-climate-change-bill-hb-819-nc-20-florence
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: The Dude on March 14, 2023, 07:30:14 AM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 12, 2023, 17:15:20 PMI am concerned about droughts and fires, and I hope CA and the CAFS has learned some valuable lessons about the value of controlled burns. This is one of the most beautiful places in the world and the trees are magnificent both in size and age. I'm hoping they all continue to thrive for future generations.

I'm of the opinion that controlled burns are an antiquated forest science and that data has proven that the importance of rotting and decaying trees is way more important to the forest ecosystem and the foundations of the living forest.  If naturally occurring fires are a part of the life cycle in a forest, then let them occur naturally.  I fear that regular controlled burns may have become a way to justify jobs in the forest service.

Dude I tend to agree with about 75% of that. I think in areas where there is extensive human habitation and areas they are trying to intensely manage like Sequioa groves the practice may still be beneficial.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 14, 2023, 08:05:53 AMRETREAT IN RODANTHE
Along three blocks in a North Carolina beach town, severe erosion is upending life, forcing hard choices and offering a glimpse of the dilemmas other coastal communities will face

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RODANTHE, N.C. — Early last year, a house crumbled into the sea in this small Outer Banks community, home to some of the most rapid rates of erosion and sea level rise on the East Coast.

Not long after, another house fell. And then another.

Wave after wave, the ocean had clawed away at the beach until the stilted homes finally gave way. The collapses spread debris — and anxiety — for more than a dozen miles along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. A video that captured one house surrendering to the surf in May went viral, bringing national attention to the urgency of the problem along this scenic stretch of coast.

See and read the full multi-media story at the Washington Post https://wapo.st/3JAGfLt

IMHO they should have never allowed the outerbanks to be (over)developed in the first place.

The shore line and channels are constantly changing. I agree we built too close to the ocean and the outer banks probably should have never been developed to the point that it is today.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Arctic ice has seen an 'irreversible' thinning since 2007, study says
New research suggests the decline was a fundamental change unlikely to be reversed this century — perhaps proof the planet has passed an alarming climactic tipping point.

Arctic sea ice declined dramatically in 2007 and has never recovered. New research suggests the loss was a fundamental change unlikely to be reversed this century, if ever — perhaps proof of the sort of climactic tipping point that scientists have warned the planet could pass as it warms.

The conclusion comes from three decades of data on the age and thickness of ice escaping the Arctic each year to the east of Greenland. Scientists at the Norwegian Polar Institute found a marked difference in the ice level before and after it reached an unprecedented low in 2007.

In the years since, the data show, the Arctic has entered what the researchers called a "new regime" — one that brings with it a trend toward ice cover that is much thinner and younger than it had been before 2007, the researchers say. They link the change to rising ocean temperatures in the rapidly warming Arctic, driven by human emissions of greenhouse gases.

https://wapo.st/3ZUQQrl
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Perspective | The surfer, the scientist and the big-wave beach at a breaking point
Off the California coast, big-wave surfers are 'canaries in the coal mine,' as climate change makes the famed Mavericks beach ever angrier.
By Sally Jenkins

https://wapo.st/3z1kKyk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

https://www.arabiaweather.com/en/content/for-the-first-time-thailand-sets-a-record-for-the-highest-temperature-due-to-a-heat-wave-hitting-southeast-asian-countries

QuoteCountries in Southeast Asia are facing the worst heat wave during the month of April in the history of Asia, whose effects extend to more than ten Asian countries, until Thailand recorded on 4-14-2023 the highest temperature in its history at 45.4 degrees Celsius, breaking the highest Temperature ever recorded in the shade in 2016 in Mae Hong Son Province in the north: 44.6 degrees.

Other countries also recorded record maximum temperatures, including: 44.0 degrees Celsius in Pakistan, 43.5 degrees Celsius in India, 43.3 degrees Celsius in Myanmar, 41.7 degrees Celsius in Bangladesh, and 42 degrees Celsius in Central Asia.

Thailand: the hottest month and the smog makes it worse

April is the hottest month in Southeast Asia's holiday paradise, with large parts of Thailand experiencing an unusually severe heatwave, and Thai authorities have issued health warnings as meteorologists estimate temperatures of up to 50 degrees in the sun. .

In addition, residents of northern Thailand have to deal with smog. It has caused thousands of people to develop respiratory problems and sore throats in recent weeks.

That would be 113 in the shade with I reckon plenty of humidity.  Hundreds of records broken in China as well.

Woolly Bugger

That's insane, Ken — i don't like it when it gets over 80!
me -There's a season?