News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Now who’s the idiot?

Started by trout-r-us, January 05, 2023, 14:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

Heard today that BBBY stock is crashing on word that the company may fold.

Was curious to see what Jim Cramer might have to say about the company and its share holders. Seems he's not mentioned it today (or I just haven't found it) since the stock has dropped below 1994 levels. 😳
Is Cramer an idiot? I find that term rather harsh. What I believe is that the stock market in general involves risk in much the same way as sport's betting. It's a gamble.
Sometimes ya win; sometimes ya lose.
PS. It ain't over till it's over, so who knows? Perhaps it's just the right time to buy.🤔

Interesting chronology:

1/9/2020-  MAD MONEY
Jim Cramer says 'hold your nose and buy' Bed Bath & Beyond on 19% plunge.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/09/jim-cramer-hold-your-nose-and-buy-bed-bath-beyond-on-19percent-tumble.html

6/24/2021-   Jim Cramer tweeted Bed Bath & Beyond "to the moon" which is a somewhat popular saying when discussing stocks that have a heavy interest with the Reddit or internet investors.
https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/jim-cramer-bed-bath-beyond-to-moon-tweet

8/17/2022-  Jim Cramer Bashes Bed Bath & Beyond: Why He Says Retailer Could 'Save Themselves,' But Would 'Rather Sink The Ship'
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/jim-cramer-bashes-bed-bath-beyond-why-he-says-retailer-could-save-themselves-but-would-rather-sink-the-ship-1031691039

1/5/2023- Bed Bath & Beyond Warns It May Go Out of Business
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bed-bath-beyond-expresses-substantial-140456006.html

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Cramer may be right about 1/2 the time — he's really not much better than a chimp throwing darts .

https://wccftech.com/the-inverse-cramer-etf-is-still-beating-the-sp-500-index-by-nearly-7-percent/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

CNBC's Jim Cramer urged viewers to buy Silicon Valley Bank stock last month

CNBC analyst Jim Cramer is once again being pilloried on social media after a clip resurfaced showing the "Mad Money" host recommending viewers buy shares of Silicon Valley Bank's parent company, which owns the tech-driven commercial lender that swiftly collapsed on Friday.

"The ninth-best performer to date has been SVB Financial (the bank's parent company). Don't yawn," Cramer told viewers during a Feb. 8 episode of "Mad Money."

https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/cnbcs-jim-cramer-touted-silicon-valley-bank-stock/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

The bad thing is people see him and recognize his face and name and assume he is some kind of financial expert with a 100% accuracy rate ;;- . When a bank this size fails it's a big deal. b';  -p- The government has stepped in and taken control of the bank. I heard there is quit a bit of money in numerous accounts that exceeded FDIC insured limits :o .  Not only that, but bank insiders had been dumping stock. I think as the Fed continues to raise rates there may be more of these type of failures.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/svb-chief-sold-3-6-233758987.html
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutboy_II

I agree with TM on Cramer. He is a pretty smart guy who provides entertainment along with knowledge that many need to figure out how to invest their money, but his picks are subject to the risk that we all take when we open an investment account. Listen to what he has to say but apply the appropriate grains of salt before you decide to pull the trigger. Of course if you listen to him on the interweb, it must be true so do whatever he sez.  :drum

What I am somewhat surprised at, is that the the bank was not sufficiently capitalized to allow for the changes in the market/economy. Most of the other large banks have been crowing about their strong capital bases for a while now. And these guys were big enough that there were regulators on site year round (probably OCC) who would have been monitoring everything daily so how did they miss this?  That's because 40+ years of dealing with regulators convinced me that most don't know shit about banks in general- just want to suck up.... Sorry. I shouldn't start down that path...

In any event, should be interesting to see analysis of why they failed in spite of regulatory oversight. Again.. b';

As always, pays your money and takes your chances. Hope this doesn't affect any of y'all.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

This AI craze has catapulted Nvidia (NVDA) "to the Moon" to use a meme stock phrase and just joined the Trillion Dollar Market Cap. Club.

You cannot view this attachment.

I bought some about 7 years ago after reading reports about gaming and crypto mining. Cramer bashed the company back then and it was years later when he jumped on the bandwagon. I'm up over 8,000% and it makes up  over 10% of my portfolio. A lot of the mutual funds that I own are also invested in NVDA so I'm wondering if it's time to take some profits.

Sell some or Hold?

On the other hand, I bought some UBER before the pandemic. Took some profit before it tanked, but I'm now up 11% -- going to hold this position for a while and ride along for a while.
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Beats me, but most wealth management types would suggest that you should pat yourself on the back, take some profits, and get that "over 10%" down to maybe half that. But I figure it depends on how much you have invested in real dollars and would cutting in half really have much impact in real dollars. That's my take, but I think the pros would say that the dollar amount doesn't matter, the theory of a well distributed portfolio is what matters, no matter what the dollar amount.  I think that your goals should help you decide what to do. If you were to lighten up, pretty good safe return on 1 year T bill at 5.25%, 3 yr at 4.2% and 5 year at almost 4%.  Just depends what you need and how much you want to play. I am 70+ in age and 75% in equities but no real big % in any one stock following the theory above. Many of the stocks pay dividends that help my cash flow needs. So I am counting on this continuing.

I must admit, I quit managing my market stuff over 10 years ago and in spite of the cost, it has been well worth the money for all the advice I have paid for.  So, what the hell do I know?  :o

Good luck!

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Big J

I say sell enough to buy Doug's raft.

trout-r-us

Who knows? Personally I sold my NVDA last week after holding for a year and up 119%.
These high beta stocks rattle me in my old age. 🤔

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

JCB3

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 15, 2023, 20:06:40 PMWho knows? Personally I sold my NVDA last week after holding for a year and up 119%.
These high beta stocks rattle me in my old age. 🤔

Those are rookie numbers.  :laugh:  I bought GWSO at 0.002 sold at $11.70, +103,900%

Woolly Bugger

Well, NVDA up another 9 bucks today  :drum sold 1/6 of my position...  d:b  up 8,088%
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

We all like talking about our winners. Let's talk about some of our current losers. Between Nov,'21 and Feb,'22 I purchased some LCID, based on a "hot tip" from a friend. Currently, I'm down 82% on that one. 😬
Just gotta remember, humility is a virtue.

― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 17, 2023, 06:55:52 AMLet's talk about some of our current losers

ECOTALITY -100% bankrupt ("Hot Stock Tip")
XXII -85.5% -93.53%
T -39%
VZ-23%
GILD -23%
CLX -19%

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 17, 2023, 08:19:08 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 17, 2023, 06:55:52 AMLet's talk about some of our current losers

XXII -85.5%
T -39%
VZ-23%
GILD -23%
CLX -19%

I've not heard from the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company investments (several thousand) I made back in the 70s.  I assume they are doing well. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 17, 2023, 09:30:15 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 17, 2023, 08:19:08 AM

XXII -85.5%
T -39%
VZ-23%
GILD -23%
CLX -19%

I've not heard from the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company investments (several thousand) I made back in the 70s.  I assume they are doing well. 

Still kickin'
https://www.vegetariantimes.com/news/godfather-olive-oil-company-genco/
― Heraclitus