Unlimited Everything Everglades....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 18, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Army Corps completes reservoir for Everglades restoration

>>>Army Corps completes reservoir for Everglades restoration
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has completed work on a $339 million Everglades restoration project aimed at cleansing water runoff before it flows into a troubled Florida river.

Corps and local officials held a ceremony Friday for the 12,000-acre (4,800-hectare) project in Martin County known officially as the C-44 Reservoir and Stormwater Treatment Area. It's a key part of a broader effort to restore the vast Florida Everglades.

The reservoir will capture, store and clean fertilizer-laden runoff from farms and development before it is routed into the St. Lucie River and ultimately the Indian River Lagoon. Both have been plagued by harmful algae blooms and other long-term problems associated with water pollution that threatens wildlife and human health.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>The project is part of the Indian River Lagoon-South Project, which is a component of the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan. That long-term program encompasses 68 projects designed to restore, protect and preserve the Everglades ecosystem.

The new C-44 reservoir is the first fully completed part of the overall restoration plan.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/11/20/army-corps-completes-reservoir-for-everglades-restoration/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Everglades' Wading Birds Had Mixed Success In 2020
>>>Nesting numbers in 2020 were an order of magnitude higher than those seen in historically low nesting years in the 1980s and '90s. However, 2020 nesting still fell short of the historically high nest numbers of the 1930s and '40s. This suggests that restoration efforts since the 1990s have improved the foraging conditions that lead to increased nesting, but significant room for improvement remains as Everglades restoration continues.

Overall, Great Egret, Wood Stork, and White Ibis nesting has been increasing steadily since 1986, meeting restoration targets in most years since 2000, including 2020. Roseate Spoonbills also did well, while the early arrival of the rainy season spelled disaster for some populations of wading birds, especially Wood Storks in Southwest Florida.

You cannot view this attachment.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2021/12/everglades-wading-birds-had-mixed-success-2020
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to spend $1.1 billion on restoring and preserving South Florida's Everglades during the current fiscal year, a White House official told the Miami Herald. The money comes through the infrastructure law President Joe Biden signed into law in November and represents the single largest investment in the Everglades in history, according to the White House. Florida's congressional delegation split along party lines last year on the more than $1 trillion infrastructure package with only the state's Democrats voting in favor of it.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article257471158.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Florida Everglades will be getting major funding from the Biden Administration, with $1.1 billion earmarked for restoration projects.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced the funding Wednesday, the largest-ever infusion of federal money for the famed South Florida environmental treasure.

"The Everglades is the lifeblood of South Florida, and this historic funding commitment by the Biden Administration will ensure we can much more aggressively move to restore and protect the natural sheet flow of water that is the largest environmental restoration project in American history," said U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who co-chairs the Everglades Caucus with fellow South Florida Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

THE WORLD THROUGH A LENS

Six Days Afloat in the Everglades
After a storm disrupted plans for a 99-mile paddling trek, a Times journalist's time on the water took a more reflective turn. Come look and listen alongside him.

>>>From a distance, the mouth of the creek was indistinguishable from the thick tangle of mangroves that concealed it — as if the narrow waterway were only willing to reveal itself to those who knew to look.

We approached attentively, unhurriedly, scanning the banks for alligators and wading birds. Twenty feet in front of us, a white ibis, hunting in the shallows with its long curved bill, fluttering out of sight.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/travel/everglades-kayak-trip.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Everglades restoration is getting a billion dollar windfall. Here's what that will buy

>>>Florida's troubled Everglades received a billion-dollar windfall last month when the White House slipped a handful of environmental restoration projects into a new infrastructure spending package. The trillion-dollar plan is intended to address the national backlog of neglected roads, ports and other projects.

WLRN's Jenny Staletovich explains what a billion dollars will buy and how it could improve conditions in one of the world's largest wetlands.

JENNY STALETOVICH: Hiking across a shallow channel in the Everglades Big Cypress swamp or airboating across the its river of grass, it's hard to imagine that the maze of wetlands, prairies and cypress domes that were once the size of Connecticut are in deep trouble.

https://www.wlrn.org/environment/2022-02-25/everglades-restoration-is-getting-a-billion-dollar-windfall-heres-what-that-will-buy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Spotted in the Everglades: A critically endangered

smalltooth sawfish

A friend of the Everglades recently took a boat trip from Flamingo to the Shark River basin where he shared a chance encounter with an extremely special Everglades species.

In the video above, you'll see the protruding double dorsal fins and tail of a smalltooth sawfish as it patrols the shallow shoreline of Shark River. The species gets it name from its most distinct feature, detailed in the drawing below — a long, flat snout lined with teeth that looks like a saw and is known as a rostrum. These saws are extremely sensitive to currents given off by prey, capable of detecting the tiniest muscle contractions, and allowing sawfish to hunt in the dead of night.

Once common on the east coast from Florida through the Carolinas and in the gulf states, it is now designated as critically endangered due to many issues including poor water quality, habitat degradation and accidental capture in commercial gill nets. The Everglades is one of the last remaining strongholds of this species, making moments like this one all the more rare and exciting.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

National Parks Traveler Episode 166: Slogging Through A Cypress Dome At Everglades

More podcast:
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/podcast/2022-04-17-national-parks-traveler-episode-166-slogging-through-cypress-dome-everglades
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'River of Grass': Inside the quest to restore the Everglades

>>>Eight hundred feet up, the helicopter banks hard to the left. Thehorizon disappears. Mark Cook, an avian biologist, peers out his side window at a small irregular patch of water below. It's hardly distinguishable from innumerable other patches that lie in every direction, dark and shining amid a ragged expanse of brown marsh grass and green tree islands.

There's one small difference: This patch is flecked with tiny specks of white, scattered like scraps of paper around a puddle.

"This year is pretty quiet," Dr. Cook has been saying. "It's not very good for wading birds."

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2022/0616/River-of-Grass-Inside-the-quest-to-restore-the-Everglades
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

FOLLOW THE WATER

>>>When most people think of the Everglades, they picture the sawgrass wetlands and mangroves at the southern tip of Florida. What they don't realize is that the health of this incredible ecosystem is dependent upon events far to the north. Historically, the Everglades received a steady supply of fresh water from a massive watershed that begins near Orlando, but over the past century—in the name of flood control and agriculture—man has interrupted that flow, most notably at Lake Okeechobee. As a result, the amount of water that reaches Florida Bay, at the southern tip of the state, is less than half of what it should be.

https://www.orvis.com/follow-the-water.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'The Everglades: River of Grass' takes a look back on the way forward to restoration

>>>Marjory Stoneman Douglas was a journalist before she became one of the greatest champions for protecting the Everglades.

She supported the efforts to turn it into a National Park and served on the park's founding committee.

Her book, "The Everglades: River of Grass," came out in 1947, the year Everglades National Park was finally dedicated. Two decades later, she convinced President Richard Nixon to nix a project for a major airport in what is now the Big Cypress National Preserve.

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-08-01/the-everglades-river-of-grass-takes-a-look-back-on-the-way-forward-to-restoration
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Burning Sugar Cane Pollutes Communities of Color in Florida. Brazil Shows There's Another Way.

Florida's largest sugar companies say cane burns are safe and can't be stopped without economic harm. But Brazil has successfully transitioned away from the controversial practice, and experts there say the U.S. can follow their lead.

https://www.propublica.org/article/burning-sugar-cane-pollutes-communities-of-color-in-florida-brazil-shows-theres-another-way

The Last Burn Season

Sugarcane burning leaves communities vulnerable to air pollution, health risks and economic stress. It's time to forge a meaningful path to a long-overdue solution. Make this the Last Burn Season. Watch the video series as they debut here.

Take action sign the petition to stop sugar cane burning in Florida.

https://www.everglades.org/sugarcane-burning/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Meet the women hunting giant pythons 'eating everything' in the Everglades

>>>KENDALL, Fla. —  Donna Kalil loves snakes. She's been fascinated by them since she was a kid living in the mountains of Venezuela's capital in the 1960s, where her father was stationed as an Air Force pilot.
"We'd play 'I spy,' and we'd use the snakes, birds and other animals that lived in the jungle," she said. "I developed a really sharp eye."

Now she kills them.

Not all snakes. Just Burmese pythons. They've become a scourge in the Everglades of south Florida since one was first spotted in the 1970s — ferocious, fecund and indiscriminate in their feeding behavior.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-09-12/two-women-are-top-burmese-python-hunters-in-the-everglades

me -There's a season?