Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Nils Lofgren, Joe Rogan, and Spotify....

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 30, 2022, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will musicians pulling their songs from Spotify Streaming have any impact on them capitalizing on Joe Rogan's podcast?

Neil, Joni, & Nils ... who?
2 (12.5%)
only if major current artists, like Taylor Swift,  join the boycott,
1 (6.3%)
Joe who?
2 (12.5%)
what is spotify? and why do I care.?
9 (56.3%)
one time at bandcamp I got some spots..
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Woolly Bugger

controversary has its benefits, Neil Young is promoting Amazon's Four Month Free Trial of their music, which is much higher quality than Spotify and most other streaming services.

https://amzn.to/34yZoMC

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 05, 2022, 20:53:36 PMInteresting.  Joe still in the news.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-02-05/joe-rogan-apologizes-for-using-n-word

They (whomever they are) are digging up the past to harass Joe now that Neil Young has brought his podcast to the forefront. Publicity in any form is good, right? I'll bet his following increases over all of this nonsense, or another 15 minutes of fame...

Neil and the other musicians can voice their opinion, and pull their music from spotify, this isn't a freedom of speech issue, nobody is censoring anyting, wait, spotify just removed over 70 of Joe's podcasts... https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-rogan-experience-episodes-removed-spotify_n_61fef043e4b0f8a1b8453a83

Joe can say whatever he wants. Believers gonna believe, haters gonna hate.

btw... the composite reel of joe can be found on twitter....

disclaimer: I've still not listened to one of Joe's podcast....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 05, 2022, 20:53:36 PMInteresting.  Joe still in the news.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-02-05/joe-rogan-apologizes-for-using-n-word

"I'm not racist, but....................
"Rogan also apologized for a clip "that makes me sick" from a decade ago when he told a story on a deleted episode of the show about getting dropped off in an "all-Black neighborhood" to see the movie "Planet of the Apes."

"I was trying to make the story entertaining, and I said, we got out, and it was 'like we were in Africa, it's like we were in Planet of the Apes,'" Rogan recounted. "I did not, nor would I ever say Black people are apes, but it sure f— sounded like that."
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

down the rabbit hole... here is a list of some of Joe's "Smartest Guests"

Elon Musk.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sam Harris
Dr. Rhonda Patrick
Brian Cox
Tim Ferriss
Eric Weinstein
Naval Ravikant
Jon Stewart
Andrew Yang

https://www.one37pm.com/grind/entrepreneurs/joe-rogan-podcast-smartest-guests#:~:text=The%2020%20Smartest%20Joe%20Rogan%20Podcast%20Guests%201,...%2010%20Andrew%20Yang.%20...%20More%20items...%20

I may give him a listen on the next drive after finishing Devil in the White City...

me -There's a season?

Phil

As a musician, here's why I don't like Spotify (excerpts from a New Yorker article)

"It is good to see Spotify suffer, at least in the short term. The Swedish streaming service has fostered a music-distribution model that is singularly hostile to the interests of working musicians. It pays out, on average, an estimated four-tenths of a cent per stream, meaning that a thousand streams nets around four dollars. That arrangement has reaped huge profits for major labels and for superstars while decimating smaller-scale musical incomes—as perfect an embodiment of the winner-takes-all neoliberal economy as has yet been devised.

... the rage against Spotify falls into a familiar American pattern: instead of addressing systemic issues, we stage morality plays involving the misdeeds of individuals. One miscreant falls, another rises, and the song remains the same. Young, to his credit, has made a quantifiable sacrifice: without Spotify, his royalties will suffer, although he may receive a compensatory boost from youngsters who approve of his stance. Are consumers willing to sacrifice as well? The magic of Spotify is its convenience. You can get almost any music you want, any time. Apple Music offers you the same gorgeous infinitude. What if, in order to support musicians that you care about, you were asked to give up the very idea that all music should be available on demand?

Spotify used the financial model of arbitrage to obtain a cheap if not free product—digital music—and resell it in a new context to realize profit. In other words, Spotify's profit requires that digital music have no value. Spotify continually talks down the value of music on their platform—they offer it for free; they tell musicians we are lucky to be paid anything for it; they insist that without their service, there is only piracy and zero income....
When revenues from record sales plummeted, artists were told that they could still make a decent living from touring, merchandising, and so forth.
 The message is clear enough: to thrive in the streaming era, all you need to do is to attain such mammoth, oxygen-depleting fame that a piddling four-tenths of a cent can be multiplied into hundreds of thousands of dollars. To those with much, more will be given. The coldness of the logic became starkly clear when the pandemic shut down touring, wiping out those who were eking out a livelihood on the road."
How can you help?
"You can also do the old-fashioned thing and buy an album. I recently wrote about Stephen Hough's superb recording of the Chopin Nocturnes, on the Hyperion label. Hyperion is one of relatively few labels that have stood aloof from the streaming world; they don't even participate in idagio, a classical-only service. Simon Perry, the label's director, told Strings magazine, "Everybody reads about how brilliant streaming is for the record business. It's not. We spent £1.4m . . . last year just to get the audio made. I've got to generate the income from sales to pay for that audio. If I turn on streaming, I'll never pay for that." On Twitter, Hough offered a more specific explanation for his album's absence from most streaming services: "We had to pay the piano tuner 🙂.""
Article by Alex Ross (New Yorker)

Fishbug

I only downloaded Spotify to listen to Rogan.
Listen for free.
Best part is I can fast forward through the ads unlike when Apple hosted.

Wooly - jump on board.

Great podcast.
Great conversations.
Interesting guests

I mostly pick and choose episodes or recurrent guests (eg all of Steve Rinella episodes are good).
Lost of good episodes from guest I have never heard of prior.

Most the hate comes from people who haven't listened.

Woolly Bugger

I listened to part the Musk interview - very spontaneous, Joe didn't appear to have done any prep work for the interview — meh

I've already got enough to listen to without adding Joe - mostly listen to books and a few select podcast while driving — at home mostly music  d:b
me -There's a season?

Onslow

I'd rather listen to these lovely ladies.  Elmira can sing beautifully in at least three different languages.

Trout Maharishi

Looks like Spotify is still doing OK despite all of the blowback from a few months ago. Turns out Joe and a couple of his guest may have been ahead of the curve on Covid.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spotify-crosses-500m-users-as-wall-street-bullish-on-eks-next-generation-pledge-122505613.html
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski