Electric cars - not any time soon

Started by Al, July 15, 2021, 21:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 28, 2021, 09:57:17 AM1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, research shows

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/1-in-5-electric-vehicle-owners-in-california-switched-back-to-gas-because-charging-their-cars-is-a-hassle-research-shows/ar-BB1gekKk

>>>In roughly three minutes, you can fill the gas tank of a Ford Mustang and have enough range to go about 300 miles with its V8 engine.

But on a recent 200-mile trip from Boston to New York in the Mustang's electric Mach-E variant, Axios' Dan Primack said he felt "panic" as his battery level dipped below 23% while searching for a compatible charger to complete his trip.

"Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home"........Duh!!!

Utterly amazing how so many people will buy without any research.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Chevy Bolt Battery Recall: How Could This Have Happened?

>>>General Motors has planned a full suite of electric vehicles launching over the next five years. So the ongoing recall of Chevrolet Bolt EV batteries—for which replacements can't even start until GM works out what went wrong—threatens to cast a pall over the fall debut of the 2022 GMC Hummer EV pickup and next spring's launch of the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq.

The recall has become a slow-motion catastrophe since it started last November. That was when GM identified 50,930 Bolt EVs from model years 2017 through 2019 that might have defective cells. That number later grew to 68,700 vehicles. In July, it recalled the same cars again after its engineers identified two potential defects that could, in rare cases, be present in the same cell

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/chevy-bolt-battery-recall-how-could-this-have-happened/ar-AAOoj9q?ocid=msedgntp

>>>The new Bolt EUV model was just being delivered to dealers; activities around that launch are now suspended. Meanwhile, Chevrolet had lowered Bolt prices considerably for 2022, recasting the car as an affordable entry-level EV complementing the upcoming luxury GMC and Cadillac models.

The total recall now numbers 141,000 electric vehicles over six model years, every Bolt the company has built since sales began in December 2016. No schedules have been given for any cell replacements. Roughly a dozen fires in Bolt EVs have been publicly identified. To date, no injuries or deaths are attributed to the problem.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 13, 2021, 10:31:50 AMChevy Bolt Battery Recall: How Could This Have Happened?

>>>General Motors has planned a full suite of electric vehicles launching over the next five years. So the ongoing recall of Chevrolet Bolt EV batteries—for which replacements can't even start until GM works out what went wrong—threatens to cast a pall over the fall debut of the 2022 GMC Hummer EV pickup and next spring's launch of the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq.

The recall has become a slow-motion catastrophe since it started last November. That was when GM identified 50,930 Bolt EVs from model years 2017 through 2019 that might have defective cells. That number later grew to 68,700 vehicles. In July, it recalled the same cars again after its engineers identified two potential defects that could, in rare cases, be present in the same cell

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/chevy-bolt-battery-recall-how-could-this-have-happened/ar-AAOoj9q?ocid=msedgntp

>>>The new Bolt EUV model was just being delivered to dealers; activities around that launch are now suspended. Meanwhile, Chevrolet had lowered Bolt prices considerably for 2022, recasting the car as an affordable entry-level EV complementing the upcoming luxury GMC and Cadillac models.

The total recall now numbers 141,000 electric vehicles over six model years, every Bolt the company has built since sales began in December 2016. No schedules have been given for any cell replacements. Roughly a dozen fires in Bolt EVs have been publicly identified. To date, no injuries or deaths are attributed to the problem.

Just this morning I was reading about some new tax incentives that had been proposed for electric cars and how one auto maker was hoping to be making nothing but electric cars by 2030.  :P Not one word about the battery problems.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Plug-in cars are the future. The grid isn't ready.
By 2035, the chief automakers will have turned away from the internal combustion engine. It'll be up to the grid to fuel all those new cars, trucks and buses.

>>>Seventy-four times last year, the wind across Upstate New York dropped so low that for stretches of eight hours or more barely any electricity was produced. Nearly half the year, the main transmission line feeding the metropolitan area was at full capacity, so that no more power could be fed into it. Congestion struck other, smaller lines, too, and when that happened some of the wind turbine blades upstate fell still.

And in New York City this summer, the utility Con Edison appealed to customers to cut back on their electricity usage during the strain of five separate heat waves, while Tropical Storms Elsa, Henri and Ida cut power to thousands.

Converting the nation's fleet of automobiles and trucks to electric power is a critical piece of the battle against climate change. The Biden administration wants to see them account for half of all sales by 2030, and New York state has enacted a ban on the sale of internal combustion cars and trucks starting in 2035.

But making America's cars go electric is no longer primarily a story about building the cars. Against this ambitious backdrop, America's electric grid will be sorely challenged by the need to deliver clean power to those cars. Today, though, it barely functions in times of ordinary stress, and fails altogether too often for comfort, as widespread blackouts in California, Texas, Louisiana and elsewhere have shown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/10/13/electric-vehicles-grid-upgrade/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Trout Maharishi

The numbers needed for everyone to charge cars doesn't add up. It's not just the grid that's going to be challenged, many older houses only have a 100amp pannel box. Then you have to factor in the number of miles driven and the number of cars in a househould.
https://insideevs.com/news/343162/how-many-amps-does-your-home-charging-station-really-need/
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Woolly Bugger

To meet EV demand, industry turns to technology long deemed hazardous
Indonesia is richly endowed with nickel, but refining this crucial mineral poses a daunting environmental challenge

OBIRA ISLAND, Indonesia — On a remote island close to where the Pacific meets the Indian Ocean sits one of the first refineries built specifically to support the world's transition away from fossil fuels.

Rocks unearthed here contain traces of nickel, a key ingredient in electric vehicle batteries. Extracting it, refining it and readying it for export is a gargantuan task.

More than $1 billion has been sunk into the processing facility, the first in Indonesia to use an acid-leaching technology to convert low-grade laterite nickel ore — which the country has in abundance — into a higher-grade material suitable for batteries. Foreign investors and lenders cite the project as evidence of their commitment to fighting climate change.

But the sprawling facility, bordered on one side by forest and on the other by blue seas, faces a major challenge: what to do with the roughly 4 million metric tons of toxic waste produced every year — enough, approximately, to fill 1,667 Olympic-size swimming pools.

https://wapo.st/3Mk3qw7
me -There's a season?